SA Express SA1011

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

Davidc
Last nights Garlic 'repeats' itself.
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:10 am
Closest Airfield: BLOEMFONTEIN
Location: BLOEMFONTEIN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

SA Express SA1011

Unread post by Davidc » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm

So I arrive from Nairobi this morning and have a connecting flight at 13H00 to Bloemfontein and I have a meeting at 16H00 in Bloemfontein. This is the only time available.

Get to the check in counter only to hear the flight has been delayed to 15H30 due to aircraft availability. This from the office and check in counter. So no other options available. With Cemair out of the picture we are at the mercy of SAX. To say that I am peed off is a understatement.
User avatar
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9658
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 145 times

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by cage » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:39 pm

Davidc wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm
So I arrive from Nairobi this morning and have a connecting flight at 13H00 to Bloemfontein and I have a meeting at 16H00 in Bloemfontein. This is the only time available.

Get to the check in counter only to hear the flight has been delayed to 15H30 due to aircraft availability. This from the office and check in counter. So no other options available. With Chemair out of the picture we are at the mercy of SAX. To say that I am peed off is a understatement.
Airlink also operate that leg.
Davidc
Last nights Garlic 'repeats' itself.
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:10 am
Closest Airfield: BLOEMFONTEIN
Location: BLOEMFONTEIN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by Davidc » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:21 pm

cage wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:39 pm
Davidc wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm
So I arrive from Nairobi this morning and have a connecting flight at 13H00 to Bloemfontein and I have a meeting at 16H00 in Bloemfontein. This is the only time available.

Get to the check in counter only to hear the flight has been delayed to 15H30 due to aircraft availability. This from the office and check in counter. So no other options available. With Chemair out of the picture we are at the mercy of SAX. To say that I am peed off is a understatement.

Airlink also operate that leg.
No other flights displayed on the board Airlink or SAX Did not see anything for later today either.
User avatar
jvdl
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:25 pm
Closest Airfield: FABL
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by jvdl » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Davidc wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm
[SAX] ...flight has been delayed...
I have an upcoming international trip in April, and will also be flying from Bloem to Joburg to catch my long-haul flight. I am going to book the BFN -> JHB tickets a day before and sleep over in a hotel, because I can't afford to take a chance like this with SAX.
"A man provided with paper, pencil, and rubber, and subject to strict discipline, is in effect a universal machine." - Alan Turing

Open Aircraft Register: https://aircraftregister.co.za <-- :!: Intermittent uptime due to load shedding :!:
Slick
Taxiing
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:11 pm
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by Slick » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:43 pm

jvdl wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:32 pm
Davidc wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm
[SAX] ...flight has been delayed...
I have an upcoming international trip in April, and will also be flying from Bloem to Joburg to catch my long-haul flight. I am going to book the BFN -> JHB tickets a day before and sleep over in a hotel, because I can't afford to take a chance like this with SAX.


I don't think booking the day before will fix the problem :mrgreen: I think your ticket will be safe, but whether you depart on time is another story.
User avatar
jvdl
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:25 pm
Closest Airfield: FABL
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by jvdl » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Slick wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:43 pm
I don't think booking the day before will fix the problem :mrgreen: I think your ticket will be safe, but whether you depart on time is another story.
If the SAX flight is late the day before the long-haul flight, it will be an inconvenience. If it's late on the day of the long-haul flight, I will miss the flight. :) We don't have too many options in Bloem.
"A man provided with paper, pencil, and rubber, and subject to strict discipline, is in effect a universal machine." - Alan Turing

Open Aircraft Register: https://aircraftregister.co.za <-- :!: Intermittent uptime due to load shedding :!:
Davidc
Last nights Garlic 'repeats' itself.
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:10 am
Closest Airfield: BLOEMFONTEIN
Location: BLOEMFONTEIN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by Davidc » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Ok just landed in Bloemfontein. Incoming flights from JHB 16H25, 16H30 and 17H10. Airlink and SAX. Loads of upset people on our plane.
User avatar
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9112
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Lost for words
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 72 times

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by GL » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Siza Mzimela says her On Time Performance is better than 90%. Anyone able to confirm?
Our body is made to move, and our mind is made to connect with other people.
– Sjur Nesheim, Norwegian mountaineer

The essentials to happiness:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• something to hope for

Guy Leitch
Slick
Taxiing
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:11 pm
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by Slick » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:08 pm

jvdl wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:00 pm
Slick wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:43 pm
I don't think booking the day before will fix the problem :mrgreen: I think your ticket will be safe, but whether you depart on time is another story.
If the SAX flight is late the day before the long-haul flight, it will be an inconvenience. If it's late on the day of the long-haul flight, I will miss the flight. :) We don't have too many options in Bloem.
Sorry! Seems I misread the paragraph - it makes sense now #-o
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by evanb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:19 pm

GL wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:57 pm
Siza Mzimela says her On Time Performance is better than 90%. Anyone able to confirm?
One can draw your own conclusions from the ACSA data. 2019 is short, but they're seemingly off to a decent start:

88% from JNB
97% from CPT
80% from DUR
88% from BFN
89% from KIM
74% from PLZ
No data from other stations. PLZ seems to be a real problem.

http://www.airports.co.za/business/stat ... erformance
Jfairwell
Preflighting
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:48 pm
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by Jfairwell » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:30 pm

evanb wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:19 pm
GL wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:57 pm
Siza Mzimela says her On Time Performance is better than 90%. Anyone able to confirm?
One can draw your own conclusions from the ACSA data. 2019 is short, but they're seemingly off to a decent start:

88% from JNB
97% from CPT
80% from DUR
88% from BFN
89% from KIM
74% from PLZ
No data from other stations. PLZ seems to be a real problem.

http://www.airports.co.za/business/stat ... erformance
OTP for December 2018 at all stations was 79% however.
Flugmaour
Engine full power confirmed
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:47 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by Flugmaour » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:34 pm

It is easy. Just book with Airlink. As far as I know they have four daily return flights out of Johannesburg. Much more reliable than SAX. When booking look for the flight number that starts with 8, those are all Airlink flights.
Mustang
Post Take off checks
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:00 pm
Closest Airfield: FATP
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by Mustang » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Never book the 13h00 or 14h00 SAX flight from ORT to Bloem. It is most time combined with the 15h30 flight if it is not full and all can be accommodated on the later flight.
Davidc wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm
So I arrive from Nairobi this morning and have a connecting flight at 13H00 to Bloemfontein and I have a meeting at 16H00 in Bloemfontein. This is the only time available.

Get to the check in counter only to hear the flight has been delayed to 15H30 due to aircraft availability. This from the office and check in counter. So no other options available. With Cemair out of the picture we are at the mercy of SAX. To say that I am peed off is a understatement.
"Aviation is a passion towards greater achievement in life!" - Julius Klokow (Mustang)
Davidc
Last nights Garlic 'repeats' itself.
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:10 am
Closest Airfield: BLOEMFONTEIN
Location: BLOEMFONTEIN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by Davidc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Mustang wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:18 pm
Never book the 13h00 or 14h00 SAX flight from ORT to Bloem. It is most time combined with the 15h30 flight if it is not full and all can be accommodated on the later flight.
Davidc wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm
So I arrive from Nairobi this morning and have a connecting flight at 13H00 to Bloemfontein and I have a meeting at 16H00 in Bloemfontein. This is the only time available.

Get to the check in counter only to hear the flight has been delayed to 15H30 due to aircraft availability. This from the office and check in counter. So no other options available. With Cemair out of the picture we are at the mercy of SAX. To say that I am peed off is a understatement.
Bookings are done by my head office. It is a pain because I spend 6 weeks on site, travel to Nairobi on the Thursday to fly out on KQ760 at 07H45 on the Friday morning. I literally have Friday afternoon at home in Bloemfontein to do any important stuff as I fly out again at 07H45 Monday morning on SAX. Due to the advanced stage of my project here in Kenya I cannot afford to be away from site any longer.
Jfairwell
Preflighting
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:48 pm
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: SA Express SA1011

Unread post by Jfairwell » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:09 am

80.84% at all ACSA stations for February 2019
Jfairwell wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:30 pm
evanb wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:19 pm
GL wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:57 pm
Siza Mzimela says her On Time Performance is better than 90%. Anyone able to confirm?
One can draw your own conclusions from the ACSA data. 2019 is short, but they're seemingly off to a decent start:

88% from JNB
97% from CPT
80% from DUR
88% from BFN
89% from KIM
74% from PLZ
No data from other stations. PLZ seems to be a real problem.

http://www.airports.co.za/business/stat ... erformance
OTP for December 2018 at all stations was 79% however.

Return to “Airline Chatter”