Iberia cancels SA flight route

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

jean
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Iberia cancels SA flight route

Unread post by jean » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:02 pm

Johan.botha wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:56 pm
SAA has a tarnished image and performs poorly on routes where there are other options. Consider BA's vast dominance on LHR where a large portion of the traffic is point to point. To claw passengers from AF's fairly elegant CDG offering is simply not realistic.
Fairly elegant, sure. When your AF flight from ORTambo is on time, or not late from CDG. Then you can, fairly elegantly, be dispatched to a nearby hotel, after losing your way along the terminal... had that experience. I was told then, fairly elegantly, that the A380 was not full enough, so it was repurposed for HK. I prefer reliable SAA, any time.
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by evanb » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:22 pm

jean wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:58 pm
Indeed, evanb. In fact I pointed out toward Orly (ORY) that has now merged its S and W terminals into a single concourse, with added airlines many of which offers services to Africa. This is where SAA could get a slot and enter partnership code sharing with non Star Alliance members such as Royal Air Maroc. If Lufthansa does not strong arm SAA once again.
Paris is the top tourism destination in the world, and Orly is a quick ride into Paris (20 min by city bus, not to mention fast rail, Orly Bus etc). Why SAns who want to go to France have to transit via Frankfurt, with its interminable walkways, lengthy queues, throngs of people (unless you are dual national and hold a EU passport), or Munich (which adds considerable time to travel although the terminal itself is relatively pleasant ... but who travels to enjoy terminals?) or London with horrendous airport taxes and bad connections into, yet again CDG mainly; or have to boil in Summer in the glass house of general lounge at CDG, or be parked away in the subterranean and substandard Lufthansa business or senator lounges at CDG1 before flying back home, is beyond comprehension. Guy Leitch, I think, did run a story a while back on what bad idea it was not to have joined another alliance than Star, or not negotiated harder with Lufthansa. Com to think: "SAA beings Africa to the World", but not to Paris, danke sehr! . LOL.
Neither of CDG or ORY are slot controlled. RAM certainly has a lot of destination from ORY (Agadir, Casablanca, Essaouira, Fes, Marrakech, Ouarzazate, Oujda, Rabat and Tangier), but what market to/from these destinations are there? Most of the other connecting traffic at ORY is to European holiday destinations with limited traffic to/from South Africa. There are far more options available from CDG, whether or not they're Star Alliance.

Any SAA route to CDG would be primarily O&D, similar to LHR.
jean
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: FACT
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by jean » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:52 pm

You are unaware of the large numbers of South Africans who visit North Africa.talk to any travel agent. I rest my case.
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 106 times

Unread post by Burner » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:09 pm

I just booked Milan - JHB via Madrid return in May, for 412 euros with Iberia! Dirt cheap!! Similar sort of price with BA!
evanb
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by evanb » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:31 pm

jean wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:52 pm
You are unaware of the large numbers of South Africans who visit North Africa.talk to any travel agent. I rest my case.
I've just looked at GDS and it's as dismal as I thought. But then looking further at pricing and seeing Egypt Air, Etihad and Emirates fighting over $500 fares makes me realize that it's a lost cause. Also, as a matter of interest, RAM codeshare with Qatar on route to/from South Africa.
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: abcd
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 282 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:35 pm

evanb wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:31 pm
jean wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:52 pm
I've just looked at GDS and it's as dismal as I thought. But then looking further at pricing and seeing Egypt Air, Etihad and Emirates fighting over $500 fares makes me realize that it's a lost cause. Also, as a matter of interest, RAM codeshare with Qatar on route to/from South Africa.
Hi there Evanb

I was under the impression that GDS only registered point to point travel ?
How do you deduct the onward travel from a different point of origin ?

Pax travelling from Paris (any airport as far as I am concerned) could originate from anywhere - or does GDS also give transit data ?

JK
evanb
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by evanb » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:52 pm

HJK 414 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:35 pm
I was under the impression that GDS only registered point to point travel ?
How do you deduct the onward travel from a different point of origin ?

Pax travelling from Paris (any airport as far as I am concerned) could originate from anywhere - or does GDS also give transit data ?
There are several data providers (e.g. OAG) which consolidate the GDS data unless they're hacker fares. The data is imperfect, but it does give comparable data of travel between different origins and destinations.
macdaddy
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FALE
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by macdaddy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:24 am

Burner wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:48 pm
abezzi wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:15 pm
Burner wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:21 pm
If I had to guess between Iberia and Alitalia, whom was more likely to drop JNB, I definitely would have put my money on Alitalia. Iberia has a huge network out of Madrid... far greater than Alitalia out of Rome. Also both Alitalia and Rome airport are far inferior to Iberia and their hub. Wonder what the loads are like between Rome and JHB on Alitalia?
From JHB to Rome I believe is around 80/90% of seats taken, slightly less from Rome to JHB
Interesting. I travelled between Milan and JHB, four times last year. Not once was Alitalia's price close to being the cheapest. Same goes for my flights between Milan and North Africa. Iberia is almost always 2/3rd to 1/2 of what Alitalia offer. Additionally, the Alitalia flights are at really cr@p times.
Hi Burner,

Have you used Alitalia yet to Milan at all? We are looking at a trip to Milan at the end of the year and Alitalia are coming in at a great price! I am a little hesitant as I am not sure of what service to expect and the quality of the entertainment system etc

Any reviews will be much appreciated!
Trent772B
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: HONG KONG
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Trent772B » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:07 pm

Johan.botha wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:56 pm
SAA has a tarnished image and performs poorly on routes where there are other options. Consider BA's vast dominance on LHR where a large portion of the traffic is point to point. To claw passengers from AF's fairly elegant CDG offering is simply not realistic.
Once BMI was bought by BA, SAA was always going to play second fiddle into LHR. Without any UK codeshare partner for SAA vs BA’s entire UK network, it’s impossible to SAA to compete seat for seat.
B727, B747, A320, A330, A340, Alo3, Oryx, King Air, Beech 1900, T6
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 106 times

Unread post by Burner » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:49 pm

macdaddy wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:24 am
Burner wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:48 pm
abezzi wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:15 pm

From JHB to Rome I believe is around 80/90% of seats taken, slightly less from Rome to JHB
Interesting. I travelled between Milan and JHB, four times last year. Not once was Alitalia's price close to being the cheapest. Same goes for my flights between Milan and North Africa. Iberia is almost always 2/3rd to 1/2 of what Alitalia offer. Additionally, the Alitalia flights are at really cr@p times.
Hi Burner,

Have you used Alitalia yet to Milan at all? We are looking at a trip to Milan at the end of the year and Alitalia are coming in at a great price! I am a little hesitant as I am not sure of what service to expect and the quality of the entertainment system etc

Any reviews will be much appreciated!
If the price is good, and the layovers are comvenient, then go for it. If you are staying in Milan center, then try and fly straight to Linate, and not Malpensa.

The onboard product is average and on par with the likes of BA, Iberia, Swiss, KLM etc. Nothing amazing, but not terrible either. Rome is an easy place to connect through also.

Return to “Airline Chatter”