United to operate Newark Cape Town with 787-9

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: United to operate Newark Cape Town with 787-9

Unread post by GL » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:36 am

Absolutely fantastic reply. =D> Fantastic insights. That you Evanb.
Uncommon wisdom:
The grand essentials to happiness in this life are:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• and something to hope for

Guy Leitch
pwnel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: KTEB
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by pwnel » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:50 pm

evanb wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:52 am
Hue news for Cape Town and congrats to Wesgro. They have been working on this for a long time!
Sadly the Yanks are screwing the pooch on pricing. There was incredible excitement when this was announced. (I even switched my frequent flyer program from Voyager - where I'm Platinum - to start from scratch on United MileagePlus). But a $1000+ premium for a non-stop flight and 4 hours less travel time is not worth it. Quite a shame - had dinner with one of Wesgro people involved just two weeks ago here in New York and know what they had to do to get this done.
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 5.47.13 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FAA ASEL COM (IF), MCSA SAR member, flies out of FACT, KBLM (Monmouth Exec, NJ - USA).
Mooney 231
Scrapyard Dog
Power on stall
Closest Airfield: Orient Airfield
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Scrapyard Dog » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:45 am

CockpitCat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:57 pm
Trans-oceanic flight in a twin...mmm...
Ya that’ll never catch on...I mean imagine flying long distances over water on a twin, especially one that complies to minor things like ETOPS and stuff like that...I mean airliners like the 777 and A330/350’s are such a failure right... :roll:

:D :D
Daniel Perry

ZS - VIG DH82a Tiger Moth
ZS - UEH Fournier RF4D
ZS - UNH Scheibe SF25 Super Valke
ZS - MIC Boeing PT 17 Stearman
gregdeklerk
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by gregdeklerk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 am

pwnel wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:50 pm
evanb wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:52 am
Hue news for Cape Town and congrats to Wesgro. They have been working on this for a long time!
Sadly the Yanks are screwing the pooch on pricing. There was incredible excitement when this was announced. (I even switched my frequent flyer program from Voyager - where I'm Platinum - to start from scratch on United MileagePlus). But a $1000+ premium for a non-stop flight and 4 hours less travel time is not worth it. Quite a shame - had dinner with one of Wesgro people involved just two weeks ago here in New York and know what they had to do to get this done.

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 5.47.13 PM.png
It is cheaper to buy it in Rands. R31000 return. I am not sure why they load the $ price.
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by evanb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:58 pm

pwnel wrote:
I think US carriers are very aggressive on their demand management. I suspect United are just feeling out the premium yields at this stage. Keep in mind that UA only accounts for about 11% of US-SA direct traffic, and that they have massive capacity into SA via LHR/FRA/MUC, far more than they have on this 4x weekly seasonal service. They've zeroed out a whole bunch of economy ticket classes.

The US carriers are quite focussed on the upcoming summer season at the moment, so I suspect they'll pay more attention to this in the next few months.
glassos
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: KHND
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by glassos » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:37 pm

evanb wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:58 pm
pwnel wrote:
I think US carriers are very aggressive on their demand management. I suspect United are just feeling out the premium yields at this stage. Keep in mind that UA only accounts for about 11% of US-SA direct traffic, and that they have massive capacity into SA via LHR/FRA/MUC, far more than they have on this 4x weekly seasonal service. They've zeroed out a whole bunch of economy ticket classes.

The US carriers are quite focussed on the upcoming summer season at the moment, so I suspect they'll pay more attention to this in the next few months.
United manages its yield very well. It's India routes, for example, are very competitive and yet they manage to compete with the Indian carriers and Gulf carriers on those routes. And, they're not competing for the super cost-conscious traveler in the SA market. Those travelers are likely going to continue routing through Dubai etc. and are willing to spend the extra time traveling.

Yield management is an art for US carriers and they'll massage the price to ensure a healthy and profitable route.
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by evanb » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:49 pm

glassos wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:37 pm
United manages its yield very well. It's India routes, for example, are very competitive and yet they manage to compete with the Indian carriers and Gulf carriers on those routes. And, they're not competing for the super cost-conscious traveler in the SA market. Those travelers are likely going to continue routing through Dubai etc. and are willing to spend the extra time traveling.

Yield management is an art for US carriers and they'll massage the price to ensure a healthy and profitable route.
Right, although the market between the US and India is much larger, yet United are the only US carrier with service to India (Delta are returning at the end of the year though). That means that United are getting a monopoly on US corporate contacts and government service. They're able to charge a big premium over Air India and the ME3.

Return to “Airline Chatter”