SAA A350-900 fleet

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9360
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Lost for words
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 160 times

SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by GL » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Latest news is that not only is SAA getting the two re-purposed Hianen A350s but also two from Air Mauritius - possibly already delivered.
Our body is made to move, and our mind is made to connect with other people.
– Sjur Nesheim, Norwegian mountaineer

The essentials to happiness:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• something to hope for

Guy Leitch
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 101 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by evanb » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:42 pm

GL wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:49 pm
Latest news is that not only is SAA getting the two re-purposed Hianen A350s but also two from Air Mauritius - possibly already delivered.
My re-purposed do you mean that there will be some interior modifications?
User avatar
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9360
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Lost for words
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 160 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by GL » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:55 pm

evanb wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:42 pm
GL wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:49 pm
Latest news is that not only is SAA getting the two re-purposed Hianen A350s but also two from Air Mauritius - possibly already delivered.
My re-purposed do you mean that there will be some interior modifications?
I doubt it. The class configuration and toilets, galleys etc seems about right - I think you mentioned it already somewhere?
And a three year lease doesn't really justify big changes. I did hear though that the paint job might not be complete as Airbus does not have space in its finishing line.
I guess the config of the ex Air Mauritius two will also remain unchanged.
Our body is made to move, and our mind is made to connect with other people.
– Sjur Nesheim, Norwegian mountaineer

The essentials to happiness:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• something to hope for

Guy Leitch
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 101 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by evanb » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:16 pm

GL wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:55 pm
I doubt it. The class configuration and toilets, galleys etc seems about right - I think you mentioned it already somewhere?
And a three year lease doesn't really justify big changes. I did hear though that the paint job might not be complete as Airbus does not have space in its finishing line.
I guess the config of the ex Air Mauritius two will also remain unchanged.
Changing the seat config slightly doesn't require any changes to lavs and galleys, especially if one is making the cabin less dense. I agree that a short term lease wouldn't create much urgency for a refit, but lessors will go to significant efforts sometimes. In this case, it would just be taking out some economy seats to add a few business. Not a whole refit.

If the aircraft is owned by LATAM, and coming from Hainan, why would Airbus be involved for the repaint? LATAM, Hainan and SAA all have repaint facilities.
Joker11
Power on stall
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:11 am
Closest Airfield: OMDB
Location: Sandpit
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by Joker11 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:07 pm

I hope we get to see these aircraft in full colours. Be a pity if they don't fully paint them.
In the battle between aeroplanes and the ground. The ground has yet to lose.

Aviation would be great, if it wouldn't be for passengers.
User avatar
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2551
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Location: On my bed
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 77 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by MadMacs » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:16 am

The only problem would be the internal colour scheme and not so much the cabin layout.
I'm not old, I'm 18 with 46 years of experience :D
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5678
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:34 pm
Closest Airfield: abcd
Location: wandering ...
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 440 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by HJK 414 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:36 am

MadMacs wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:16 am
The only problem would be the internal colour scheme and not so much the cabin layout.

MM- the cabin lay-out / seat sequence and row numbers are quite important.
Imagine having booked a flight on aircraft A - pre-booked your seat (extra legroom per example) - and turn up to find that your seat row is now somewhere 4 rows back …… Great fun for check in staff and or cabin crew …..
One should have a standard lay-out for similar airframes - or your ground and sales staff are in for a mess.


JK
User avatar
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2551
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Location: On my bed
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 77 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by MadMacs » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:05 am

HJK 414 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:36 am
MadMacs wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:16 am
The only problem would be the internal colour scheme and not so much the cabin layout.

MM- the cabin lay-out / seat sequence and row numbers are quite important.
Imagine having booked a flight on aircraft A - pre-booked your seat (extra legroom per example) - and turn up to find that your seat row is now somewhere 4 rows back …… Great fun for check in staff and or cabin crew …..
One should have a standard lay-out for similar airframes - or your ground and sales staff are in for a mess.


JK
Its easy to change the seating arrangement but imagine getting a colour scheme like Qatar, that ghastly maroon colour, then you have to redo sidewalls and any other panels that dont fit your corporate colour scheme, a massive and expensive undertaking.

As an aside, in the 70's we had B707's doing Jnb Cpt and Jnb Dur each with a different layout and whoever did the scheduling would swop the two aircraft around, necessitating a cabin conversion almost every night and we hated it.
I'm not old, I'm 18 with 46 years of experience :D
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 101 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by evanb » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm

HJK 414 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:36 am
MM- the cabin lay-out / seat sequence and row numbers are quite important.
Agreed, it's very important, but it's not as complicated to change as some might suggest. If it involves lavs, galleys or IFE then yes, it can get quite complicated and expensive. If it's adding/removing a few rows or changing the pitch it's not that complicated as long as it doesn't require additional or new wiring. And seat covering is just that, covering.

We hear of large numbers being thrown around for refurbs of A380s. A380s are particularly expensive but this also invariably involves lav and galley adjustments and entirely new seats.

Adding three rows of business class, changing covering and adjusting seat pitch could cost between $100k and $200k.
African Flyer
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:55 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by African Flyer » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 pm

GL wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:49 pm
Latest news is that not only is SAA getting the two re-purposed Hianen A350s but also two from Air Mauritius - possibly already delivered.
When is the 1st flight scheduled for?
Positive rate! :D
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 101 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by evanb » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:39 am

African Flyer wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 pm
When is the 1st flight scheduled for?
Nothing scheduled yet. I suspect still waiting for certification and ETOPS approval.

But I'd expect some JNB-CPT-JNB rotations in addition.
gregdeklerk
Rotating
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:59 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by gregdeklerk » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:32 am

Am I correct in thinking the 2 "Air Mauritius planes" were machines destined for Air Mauritius, but not delivered (for whatever reasons) and are now coming to SAA instead? It is not a case of 2 350s leaving the Air Mauritius fleet and coming to SAA.
ERASER
Incipient Spin
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:22 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 11 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by ERASER » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:35 am

gregdeklerk wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:32 am
Am I correct in thinking the 2 "Air Mauritius planes" were machines destined for Air Mauritius, but not delivered (for whatever reasons) and are now coming to SAA instead? It is not a case of 2 350s leaving the Air Mauritius fleet and coming to SAA.
Air Mauritius ordered 4 A359 aircraft of which 2 were already delivered. I assume with the 2 x A339neo (Apr/Jun 19) aircraft arriving in the Air Mauritius fleet the 2 x A359's still on order cant be deferred at this late stage and they are not currently required in the fleet.

I heard a rumour that the SAA 4 x A359's will arrive in September 19 if all goes well.
African Flyer
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:55 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by African Flyer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:13 pm

evanb wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:39 am
African Flyer wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 pm
When is the 1st flight scheduled for?
Nothing scheduled yet. I suspect still waiting for certification and ETOPS approval.

But I'd expect some JNB-CPT-JNB rotations in addition.
Thanks Evan
Positive rate! :D
HarryC
Rolling from unmanned
Posts: 473
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:11 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: SAA A350-900 fleet

Unread post by HarryC » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:39 pm

Air Mauritius has 2 A350's in service and 2 still on the final production line.The latter 2 are msn 354 and 365 which would be 3B-NBR and S and would only be ready for delivery in the next couple of months assuming delivery to Air Mauritius.Neither of these aircraft would already be painted in Air Mauritius colours.354 and 365 are in primer and tails in Air Mauritius colours.

Return to “Airline Chatter”