Emirates begins with layoffs

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

kennyhubbard
Engine Still Cranking
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Emirates begins with layoffs

Unread post by kennyhubbard » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:43 pm

Yup, that is fair comment. We have different perspectives and that is ok. I can't comment beyond the life as a pilot.

Speaking of golden prisons........are you okes still locking yourselves up behind electric fences with armed response? :mrgreen:
These users liked the author kennyhubbard for the post (total 2):
Joker11bradley14
Joker11
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: EDDF
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Joker11 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:55 pm

kennyhubbard wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:43 pm
Yup, that is fair comment. We have different perspectives and that is ok. I can't comment beyond the life as a pilot.

Speaking of golden prisons........are you okes still locking yourselves up behind electric fences with armed response? :mrgreen:
Nope. Enjoying a European summer. Feels like COIVD19 never happened. No restrictions except for masks in buildings and a quiet EDDF.
These users liked the author Joker11 for the post (total 2):
kennyhubbardFlugmaour
In the battle between aeroplanes and the ground. The ground has yet to lose.

Aviation would be great, if it wouldn't be for passengers.
biffvj
Changing Underwear
Closest Airfield: Polokwane Civil
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by biffvj » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:14 pm

As an airline passenger I vowed never to fly with Emirates again after horrendous flights from DXB to SFO and back and as far as I'm concerned they deserve to close down. SA flights were fine, but the A380 flights a nightmare. Seat that wouldnt latch reclined, broken air vent that blew ice cold air, dirty plane and I mean filthy - food under the seats when we boarded, freaked out hostesses - one was swearing about pax behaviour, loud messy pax, huge touchscreens that switch back on whenever a person touches the seat in front of you and you have a long process to switch the damn thing off again, pax congregating and having raucous discussions and then the cherry on the cake - food poisoning, I was sick for a week. When I sent a complaint to Emirates they did not even apologise. Kry vir julle.
HJK 414
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: ALC - DUS
Has liked: 253 times
Been liked: 741 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:26 pm

Joker11 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Nope. Enjoying a European summer. Feels like COIVD19 never happened. No restrictions except for masks in buildings and a quiet EDDF.

Amazing is it not ?
We also feel as if Covid 19 is something that happens "elsewhere" ....
We were in Germany from early April till mid June and it gave us the feeling that were "in safe hands" ......
No drama - and no panic - businesses open ...... discipline ...... =D>

Spain is quite relaxed as well - seeing some new outbreaks - remarkable that it is happening in areas where there are hardly tourists .....
Driving back to Germany on Saturday ........

JK
These users liked the author HJK 414 for the post:
Joker11
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 254 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:32 pm

You would not be very relaxed if you were an airline pilot - hang on , even a GA pilot in SA is a bit stressed
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
three eighty
Rotating
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by three eighty » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:35 pm

biffvj wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:14 pm
As an airline passenger I vowed never to fly with Emirates again after horrendous flights from DXB to SFO and back and as far as I'm concerned they deserve to close down. SA flights were fine, but the A380 flights a nightmare. Seat that wouldnt latch reclined, broken air vent that blew ice cold air, dirty plane and I mean filthy - food under the seats when we boarded, freaked out hostesses - one was swearing about pax behaviour, loud messy pax, huge touchscreens that switch back on whenever a person touches the seat in front of you and you have a long process to switch the damn thing off again, pax congregating and having raucous discussions and then the cherry on the cake - food poisoning, I was sick for a week. When I sent a complaint to Emirates they did not even apologise. Kry vir julle.
So you had a bad experience and for that you think 100 000 people including thousands of SAFFER's and their families deserve to lose their jobs and livelihood?

If you have a bad steak at Spur should the entire franchise close down to appease you?

I sincerely hope your wife never makes you an unsatisfactory lunch or your kid fails a school test one day.
Last edited by three eighty on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
These users liked the author three eighty for the post (total 7):
HAANArie de WetkennyhubbardMile HighUgly DucklingAntmanNicolaas206
HJK 414
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: ALC - DUS
Has liked: 253 times
Been liked: 741 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:39 pm

ACE MAN wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:32 pm
You would not be very relaxed if you were an airline pilot - hang on , even a GA pilot in SA is a bit stressed
Touche ACE,

Not meant in that way.
I have mates flying for Jetstar / Qantas / KLM / Transavia .....
I am sadly aware of the angst they are going through and the upsets in their lives / and I am very much aware of the upsets in the aviation world.

I was referring to the general attitude of people toward Covid (and that may be linked to the Governments of the respective countries and the clarity of information / testing etc) .....
We found that France is very "panicky" and hypersensitive
We found Spain to be quite "relaxed"
The Dutch simply ignore the whole thing it seems
And the Germans simply give you the feeling that "we have you covered" / drive thru testing / clear info and everyone acting as if it is not the disease starting to control our movements - but the populace simply adapting to avoid the disease and getting on with things

Many seem to have a problem with the thought of flying ....
I have been wanting to fly to Salt Lake city for a month now - still not possible - but as soon as that border opens .....
I have no problem at all getting into an airliner ......

JK
Last edited by HJK 414 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked the author HJK 414 for the post (total 2):
ACE MANMouser
Sanddweller
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: Dxb
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Sanddweller » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:40 pm

biffvj wrote:
I have never had anything but good experiences with Emirates. Business class on the 380 is fantastic (especially when using it with staff travel) and being able to stand at the bar talking <<moderated - language>> to random people and the crew is great. I will miss the 380 for that alone.

Just because you had a bad experience and your comment that everyone there should lose their jobs because if it, shows that I think you are not quite in touch with reality...
These users liked the author Sanddweller for the post (total 3):
three eightykennyhubbardMile High
Joker11
Incipient Spin

Unread post by Joker11 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:04 pm

HJK 414 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:26 pm
Joker11 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Amazing is it not ?
We also feel as if Covid 19 is something that happens "elsewhere" ....
We were in Germany from early April till mid June and it gave us the feeling that were "in safe hands" ......
No drama - and no panic - businesses open ...... discipline ...... =D>

Spain is quite relaxed as well - seeing some new outbreaks - remarkable that it is happening in areas where there are hardly tourists .....
Driving back to Germany on Saturday ........

JK
I love it. DXB is but a distant memory.

Joker11
Incipient Spin

Unread post by Joker11 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:05 pm

biffvj wrote:
Looking at the passenger profile that travels via DXB to the U.S and Canada I would avoid these flights at all cost!!!

Joker11
Incipient Spin

Unread post by Joker11 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 pm

three eighty wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:35 pm
biffvj wrote:
So you had a bad experience and for that you think 100 000 people including thousands of SAFFER's and their families deserve to lose their jobs and livelihood?

If you have a bad steak at Spur should the entire franchise close down to appease you?

I sincerely hope your wife never makes you an unsatisfactory lunch or your kid fails a school test one day.
Moderators Message:
Personal Attack. Content removed and warning issued

GoneMissed
Avionics Master On
Closest Airfield: KPHX
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by GoneMissed » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:29 pm

Joker11,

That’s a bit harsh and uncalled for.
Hopefully, we can stay on topic.
These users liked the author GoneMissed for the post:
tansg
paulw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 581 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by paulw » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:28 pm

Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
biffvj
Changing Underwear
Closest Airfield: Polokwane Civil
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by biffvj » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:10 am

Joker11 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 pm
three eighty wrote:
biffvj wrote:

Moderators Message:
Sorry for off topic, it's just that when I see the word "Emirates" my temperature increases above Covid status.
My post was not an attack on the staff, I feel for the staff that are laid off, not a good place to be and I hope they all find jobs at a decent airline. As a paying customer though, I feel absolutely nothing for Emirates. I also forgot to mention Dubai airport having a rule against hand radios in carry on that Emirates does not have on their list of UAE banned hand luggage items. So sick you can hardly stand up and then get treated like a criminal for hours because of a handheld radio in your carry on.
Trent772B
Rotating
Closest Airfield: HONG KONG
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Trent772B » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:34 am

biffvj wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:10 am
Joker11 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:06 pm
three eighty wrote:

Moderators Message:
Sorry for off topic, it's just that when I see the word "Emirates" my temperature increases above Covid status.
My post was not an attack on the staff, I feel for the staff that are laid off, not a good place to be and I hope they all find jobs at a decent airline. As a paying customer though, I feel absolutely nothing for Emirates. I also forgot to mention Dubai airport having a rule against hand radios in carry on that Emirates does not have on their list of UAE banned hand luggage items. So sick you can hardly stand up and then get treated like a criminal for hours because of a handheld radio in your carry on.

Perhaps you can start a Emirates customer service thread. This thread is about our friends and colleagues who have lost their jobs. Perhaps HelloPeter or You magazine is better suited for you.
These users liked the author Trent772B for the post (total 2):
GreesonMile High
B722, B744, A320, A332, A333, A342, A343, A346, A359, Alo3, Oryx, King Air, Beech 1900, T6

Return to “Airline Chatter”