Profile on this section

Your good and bad experiences with online community trading.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please follow the posting template where applicable. It is also fair that you send a link to the other party to give them the right to respond to the post. NB: Keep it factual and at all costs avoid placing yourself in a position where you give cause for a defamation case to be brought against you Read this: http://avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=306&t=202352. Personal attacks, name calling etc will be deleted. Basically - use this resource responsibly.
Heineman
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: MRF Pretoria
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 6 times

Profile on this section

Unread post by Heineman » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:40 am

We need to make a change to the way we do Business.It would be better in we could have more transparent profile information

Name ( it does not mean anything) The club where the person is involved That would help for a reasonable reverence. Maybe a valid email.

Maybe we should suspend all new users and set regulations for the new users It looks like the scammer's registered a few profiles and waits to strike after some time.

Please give your input from how we are going to do this in order to stop the scammers on this site.
Planes wirh Futaba
Oldtimer1
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: Kittyhawk
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Profile on this section

Unread post by Oldtimer1 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:07 am

On the Tropical Aquarium forum we need to be a menber for six months and you need to have 50 posts before you can post anything in the classified section.
Irene Radio Flyers
SAMAA #517
Builders kits and seleted ARF's
Andycap 101H
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Helderberg and Malmesbury
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Andycap 101H » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:57 am

Heineman wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:40 am
We need to make a change to the way we do Business.It would be better in we could have more transparent profile information

Name ( it does not mean anything) The club where the person is involved That would help for a reasonable reverence. Maybe a valid email.

Maybe we should suspend all new users and set regulations for the new users It looks like the scammer's registered a few profiles and waits to strike after some time.

Please give your input from how we are going to do this in order to stop the scammers on this site.
Not bad idea.

Take it so far as all users (current and new) to complete a template (containing the info you mentioned and more?) before they can continue trading on classifieds.

All these measurements can be in place. Skelm will unfort find a loophole.

I still believe if a seller selling an item it will put things at ease if he is willing to have it verified at a person you have delt with.
Oomgert
Paying Landing Fees
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Oomgert » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:33 am

This is what makes this forum Great, People standing together and helping one another

Thanks Hein, Karl, Andycap, Oldtimer and many more , Its vital to keep this place a safe and pleasurable experience and lately with all the scams I`m super hesitant to buy from newcomers , and it should be.

its all fun and games until someone gets scammed !!
Geutneut
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Eros Airport
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Geutneut » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:09 am

Hi all.
In the few other forums I am and have been on for the past few years, a few options are used to prevent scammy / bogus for sale / wanted posts.

1 - Limit of minimum posts before you can sell anything - has been mentioned above, and I think this is a good one. But 50 is a bit high IMHO, and may cause some spammy posts so that the user can simply just get this magical 50 posts...

2 - Auto-deletion of an user account if the account is dormant after registration for more than 7 days (maybe this is workable with an expiration script of sorts that triggers when the registration process is invoked?).

3 - If all else fails - buy only from people that can be verified / vouched for by other long time members. This is only in the posters best interest (sell of buy) and shall thus not be seen as unreasonable. I for one am quick to point out people I have had dealings with and encourage anyone to contact those individuals to get info on me as a buyer or seller.
H9 Valiant 33cc EVO 33GX2 and Jnr Valiant
H9 Spitfire 60 - 115GK
H9 P40 Warhawk 50
TF Thunderbolt DLE 30cc
ESM "September Fury" 55RA DLE
Carl Goldberg "Rubin" - YS120FZ

Unbuilt Carf 1:4.2 Scale Spit Powered by KOLM IL-150-3
Francois Greeff
Reaching GFA
Closest Airfield: Witbank
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Francois Greeff » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:09 pm

I believe something needs so be done.
You cannot become a member without valid email but email addresses is just too easy to obtain.
Not everybody belongs to a club and even wrong details can be given. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

I am very fortunate that I have never been scammed ( and I have traded thousand of rand worth), I only work with EFT or cash one to one and I need to have telephone conversation first.
In short, I do need confirmed phone number and full banking details and use this for any online trading. [-X [-X [-X

I know it is not the moderators role to control, but maybe they could request copy of ID and valid copy municipal account. I would gladly submit mine to the moderators.
Still one of the best forums ever. =D> =D> =D>
Francois Greeff (greeffbf)
"It's not what I wear or what I drive.... It's what I fly !!!"
Shadow1972
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: port elizabeth

Unread post by Shadow1972 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Just a question ?
How does the "Liked" section of the forum work?
If we all liked the people that we bought from or sold to then wouldn't that be a good measurement of who you can safely deal with ?
Regards
Duncan
Hangar 9 P-47 Thunderbolt
Trex 500 Pro
Trex 500 DFC Speed Fuselage
Trex 250
Pitts Model 12 15e
FPV Quads
Waco Biplane
Oldtimer1
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: Kittyhawk
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Oldtimer1 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Francois Greeff wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:09 pm
I believe something needs so be done.
You cannot become a member without valid email but email addresses is just too easy to obtain.
Not everybody belongs to a club and even wrong details can be given. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

I am very fortunate that I have never been scammed ( and I have traded thousand of rand worth), I only work with EFT or cash one to one and I need to have telephone conversation first.
In short, I do need confirmed phone number and full banking details and use this for any online trading. [-X [-X [-X

I know it is not the moderators role to control, but maybe they could request copy of ID and valid copy municipal account. I would gladly submit mine to the moderators.
Still one of the best forums ever. =D> =D> =D>
I agree with the above....FICA every member.
Irene Radio Flyers
SAMAA #517
Builders kits and seleted ARF's
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 172 times

Unread post by Roger » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:20 pm

Many great ideas, but I am really disheartened at this stage. Reason why is that we have placed stickies in every forum regarding the use of e-Wallets, yet community members ignore that and are still being scammed with it's use. So, we could consider some of the suggestions, but is a little like leading a horse to water......
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
Heineman
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: MRF Pretoria
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Heineman » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:42 pm

And also members on this forum who want to push the cash transfer idea.If you are a member you and want to sell your stuff You should agree on. Not to trade on the ewallet platform.I am referring to the P20 P80 turbine post. Were this registered member asked for a split payment halt ewallet type payment and half transfer that is typically a scammer's type of deal.
Planes wirh Futaba
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by danie.e » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:35 pm

Amazing, I bought a lowered seat for my BMW last week from a complete stranger. Firstly he arranged for delivery to my door and the driver collected the cash for him. The next day he sent me a whatsapp message inquiring if the seat works and if I am happy with my purchase ?

I suspect that the reason for the absolute pleasure this transaction turned out to be is simply because it was one of those ads where the price was reasonable and not one of those "steal deals" - had it been a too good to be true pricing, I simply would have ignored the ad.

Maybe I am losing out on some "real" bargains but then again. most of the "real" bargains turn out to be scams.
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for ASP Engines, CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
droneboy
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: None
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by droneboy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:13 pm

Roger wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:20 pm
Many great ideas, but I am really disheartened at this stage. Reason why is that we have placed stickies in every forum regarding the use of e-Wallets, yet community members ignore that and are still being scammed with it's use. So, we could consider some of the suggestions, but is a little like leading a horse to water......
Agree 100% with you.
Shadow1972
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: port elizabeth

Unread post by Shadow1972 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:33 pm

Roger wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:20 pm
It was just that warning that triggered of my reluctance to deal with a scammer when he insisted on e-wallet
@Rodger how do you "like" someone ?
I am going to make an effort to like all my transaction (buy and sell) thus way we can build a community governed by the users
Hangar 9 P-47 Thunderbolt
Trex 500 Pro
Trex 500 DFC Speed Fuselage
Trex 250
Pitts Model 12 15e
FPV Quads
Waco Biplane
Askaval
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by Askaval » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:42 pm

My 2 cents worth...

Classified are for people (members) to easily, without too many obstacles, sell / buy goods.

50 posts – been member since 2012 and only bought 3 models online. Maybe 3 post per buy. There is simply not that many posts per member in any classifieds section. Different story if this was a chat / discussion forum.

Probably took a few months after joining to make the first buy. Not within 7 days. Sometimes I cannot view the forum for 10 days. What if I was looking for something like a Curare... :D

Anything required in the registration process can be faked.

Scammers will eventually get around any measures put in place.

If you cannot inspect before buy, be careful. Wait for "local" advert.

The final & only responsibility for buying and selling is with ourselves, not the moderators, not the other members. If we alienate any of those the classifieds will eventually lose it’s appeal and we will move elsewhere.
Hanger 9 1/4 Cub
Blackhorse Thermal 3
EFlite Heron
Hanger 9 Pulse 60XT
BOT
Topflite P51
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 172 times

Unread post by Roger » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:04 pm

Shadow1972 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:33 pm

@Rodger how do you "like" someone ?
I am going to make an effort to like all my transaction (buy and sell) thus way we can build a community governed by the users
Click the thumbs up button you see at the top right of any post .
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.

Return to “Trader Watch”