Piet Nutt

A place to remember our fallen friends, colleagues and aviators that shared our passions for the skies.

Moderator: Moderators

noelotten
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 10 times

Piet Nutt

Unread post by noelotten » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:18 am

AvCom username(if was a member):
Born:
Passed away date: 2 April 2019
Details of passing: Natural causes
Pictures:

Piet Nutt was one of the most influential people in the sport of aerobatics in South Africa from the early 1960s and throughout the 1970s and 1980s. A competent aerobatic pilot in his own right, Piet found his niche in the coaching and judging of aerobatic flying in accordance with the Aresti System which became the universally accepted standard for the sport. He served as the Chief Judge at numerous local contests and was also on the international judging panel at the 1980 World Aerobatic Championships held at Oshkosh, USA during August 1980.

When the first World Masters Aerobatic Championship was held at La Mercy, KZN in October of 1985 Piet again served as the Chief Judge.

Piet began training for his PPL in 1957 and achieved his goal in 1959. The art of aerobatic flying soon grabbed his attention and no doubt his association with Nick Turvey and Mike van Ginkel inspired him to further his interest in the sport. He was a partner with Nick and Mike along with three other pilots, Bill Holden, Twisty Winter and Ewald Wessels in importing the first Zlin Trenner Master 226, (ZS-EID), into South Africa in 1965 / 66.

A Mechanical Engineer by profession soon led Piet into assisting aircraft homebuilders with original designs and modifications to existing designs and getting them approved by the then DCA. When I started building my first aircraft project, a plans built PITTS Special S-1C; (flat bottomed aerofoil profile - 2 aileron version), Piet assisted me with the design of a symmetrical aerofoil - 4 aileron Pitts.

He was an outstanding mentor to many aspiring pilots and a personal friend for over 50 years. Rest in peace dear friend.

A memorial service for Piet will be held at :-
Time and Date: 12:00pm Saturday 13 April 2019
Venue: Benvenuto Hotel, 1 Pitsani Street, Kelland .... (near Cresta Centre, Joburg)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The words "cheap", "aviation" and "safe" cannot, in my opinion, be used in the same sentence; not unless you add the word "not"! ... John Howse 1947 - 2010
StressMerchant
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Cab
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Piet Nutt

Unread post by StressMerchant » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:48 am

I remember Piet as one of the judges when I started taking part in competitions. Often "scribed" for him and Bill Holden on the line. Sad to hear of the passing of one of the people who did so much to develop the sport of aerobatics.

Blue skies
I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead.
— Charles A. Lindbergh

Return to “We will remember them”