Bob Ewing

A place to remember our fallen friends, colleagues and aviators that shared our passions for the skies.

Moderator: Moderators

Chalkie
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAPX
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Bob Ewing

Unread post by Chalkie » Fri May 10, 2019 10:15 am

And so... another of the old stalwarts of EAA 322 move on to the next level and we slowly become less and less...

RIP, Bob. It sure was a privilege to have known you.

Condolences to the family. Maureen and Chalkie.
These users liked the author Chalkie for the post:
flysouth
Rule #2 Hurry up Slowly.
Cynic: One who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
flysouth
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by flysouth » Fri May 10, 2019 4:16 pm

One by one the "old guard" depart quietly but inevitably - but no less sad for that. Time stops for no man and we are all on a journey through our own time.

To my mind and serving on the EAA Chapter 322 and on the National Committee under the Presidency of Bob Ewing around 1984 -1985, he was a great mentor and teacher long before he became a flight instructor. He was a natural "mobiliser" of people which is what leadership is.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Mitigate
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Mitigate » Fri May 10, 2019 5:34 pm

What a privilege to have known, worked with and flown with Uncle Bob. He was a scholar and a gentleman. His dry, wicked sense of humor never failed to bring a cheer and his aircraft skills were something to aspire to. We had great memories flying aerobatics together. There was never a day when I didn’t learn from him.

My deepest condolences go to Dawn, his loved one and friends. May the memories bring you comfort now and in all the days going forward.

RIP Uncle Bob, you were a legend among men.

I know from experience that loved ones find comfort in knowing that their person impacted so many lives. I encourage all that knew him to share their memories and photographs here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
macdaddy
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FALE
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by macdaddy » Fri May 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Rest In Peace uncle Bob! To the man who took me on my first ab initio flight, which started off my great career, may you fly high!
Sea Rescue
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Sea Rescue » Sat May 11, 2019 5:04 pm

What a sad day ?? - I Really am so sorry to read of another aviation stalwart who has passed on. Not only is it interesting to read of his interaction with so many fellow aviators, but one immediately remembers your own experiences when reminiscing over "aviation friends" you have met and who have played a role in your own life, over the years.

Suddenly one feels privileged to also have enjoyed a "little part" of their attention, personal interest, assistance in a variety of ways and their friendship.

W-a-a-y back, when Micro-Light aircraft first arrived on our shores, they were mostly single seat equipped. I happened to come across a group of pilots and aviation enthusiasts, some from the Krugersdorp EAA Chapter, viewing and demonstrating a "Quick-Silver" in a quiet corner of a taxi-way at Lanseria one afternoon. Needless to say everyone who had ever seen the movie "Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines" imagined themselves flying one with the wind blowing through your hair, and nothing else to collide with at 200ft AGL, IT SURELY HAD TO BE MORE FUN than zooming down the road on a motorcycle !!!

Bob recognized the look on my face - and said : Would you like to fly it ? - "What a question Bob, may I - please ?" - stammered from my mouth. O.K. he said - taxi it to the next intersection (about 60 meters) and back. I did it and on my return he said : Right - stay away from the active runway, take-off - do a circuit West of the field, turn base before the shops, overfly the landing zone here on the taxi way with your first circuit, do a touch and go off your second circuit and do a full-stop on your third circuit !!

The ASI was a Perspex tube with a bright Yellow chip that had to slide up and down this tube and was mounted on a bracket, like an inverted cool-drink bottle with a plastic straw coming out the bottom and pointing into the airflow. I gathered that the secret was to get this Yellow chip to "float" between the two black lines higher up on the tube and NOT to let it get lower than the Red line lower down unless your wheels were on the ground !!!!!!!!!! GREAT !! my conversion was done !!!

After the adrenalin experience, I stopped and he said "Well done" ! ! - and I felt like I was walking as high as the circuit I had flown !! - Those are moments in life you will never forget - and it feels like it took place yesterday !!! - I cannot imagine ANY flight instructor taking such a decision today ? Well not only did Bob know his own flying ability, but it was as though he could "sense" the flying skills of others ?? ( Although Bob flew with me after this event, he had never flown with me before sending me off solo in what looked like a Chicken Cage with wings.)

Subsequently our paths happily often crossed - AND now we hear that Bob is no longer with us ? WELL - to me it has just ENHANCED the experience described above - and as an aviation friend, the memory of "Bob Ewing" has just become a much more valuable thought -ALSO never to be forgotten.

Condolences with his family and friends.
RIP Bob.
These users liked the author Sea Rescue for the post (total 6):
MitigateUgly DucklingjimdavisRay WStill_LearningAlan Robertson
GeraldNagel
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Been liked: 0

Unread post by GeraldNagel » Mon May 13, 2019 1:51 pm

RIP Bob, sad to hear.
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by apollo11 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:14 pm

Terrific instructor, so much wisdom, little gem tricks of the trade constantly let out of his sleeve, completed a few hours with Bob, notable was some near dusk flying touch and goes in the Tiger Moth at Panorama field and mild aero's in the Chipmunk...
Bob showed me the beauty of "gentleman's aerobatics"

RIP Bob, you sure were an inspiration.
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
Ewing junior
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Jhb international
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Ewing junior » Wed May 15, 2019 8:10 pm

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their kind words and wonderful memories that have been shared of my dad. Dads (Bob Ewing) ashes will be scattered on Saturday the 18th of May in a small private ceremony in his home town of Port Alfred. There will be a small get together to follow mid morning at the family home for all friends and family who wish to pay their respects in person. A special thank you to Lance Poynter for kindly informing the flying community of his passing and being a true friend throughout his days, including the tough times towards the end.

Kind regards

Jayme Ewing
These users liked the author Ewing junior for the post (total 2):
jimdavisapollo11
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 111 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Wed May 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Ewing junior wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:10 pm
I would just like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their kind words and wonderful memories that have been shared of my dad. Dads (Bob Ewing) ashes will be scattered on Saturday the 18th of May in a small private ceremony in his home town of Port Alfred. There will be a small get together to follow mid morning at the family home for all friends and family who wish to pay their respects in person. A special thank you to Lance Poynter for kindly informing the flying community of his passing and being a true friend throughout his days, including the tough times towards the end.

Kind regards

Jayme Ewing
Jayme and the Ewing family
Please accept our heartfelt condolences at the passing of your Dad, Bobby.
He was one hell of a guy and an aviator of note.
I recall his arrival at Klerksdorp in the Monster Pitts, just as Big and Bold as Bobby :D
These users liked the author Ugly Duckling for the post:
flysouth
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
aerobatic
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: Luskintyre Airfield NSW
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by aerobatic » Thu May 16, 2019 4:55 am

It is with great sadness that I learn of Bob's passing.
Bob did a great deal for aviation and in particular EAA.
He was always a keen and enthusiastic supporter of all Vintage and Homebuilt aircraft.
We both had Tigers and Chipmunks at similar times and enjoyed all the EAA and Vintage events!
We served together on many EAA, air show and flying committees and he will be sorely missed in the aviation circles.
My sincere condolences go to Dawn and the family.
Rest in peace, Bob
These users liked the author aerobatic for the post (total 4):
Ugly DucklingjimdavisRay Waeronaut
Brian Zeederberg
LongRangeCruise
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo Intl
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by LongRangeCruise » Sat May 18, 2019 7:14 am

I sadly have never met Uncle Bob. Was he ever an airline jock ?
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 82 times

Unread post by Ray W » Sat May 18, 2019 9:59 am

LongRangeCruise wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:14 am
I sadly have never met Uncle Bob. Was he ever an airline jock ?
Nope.
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill

Return to “We will remember them”