Gerard Genis, SAAF (1977)

A place to remember our fallen friends, colleagues and aviators that shared our passions for the skies.

Moderator: Moderators

SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Gerard Genis, SAAF (1977)

Unread post by SlowApproach » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:14 am

AvCom username(if was a member): n/a
Born: 1 August 1958
Passed away date: 13 December 1977
Details of passing:
CO Genis, from SAAF 4 Squadron AFS Lanseria, was killed when his Impala Mk II #1016 rolled and inverted shortly after takeoff and he ejected downwards.

A brilliant young man with such a great future ahead of him taken so unexpectedly from us all. Let us who were there that day never forget him.
Wildcat_004
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: FAOR

Re: Gerard Genis, SAAF (1977)

Unread post by Wildcat_004 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:54 pm

I was on my way to AFB Pietersburg to arrange accommodation for my upcoming Mirage course and I landed at Lanseria to refuel and he met me to take me to the crew room. He then left and took off, one of the compartment doors behind the canopy came open and with increasing speed induced a roll from which he ejected. He actually came first on his pilot course a few months prior to his accident. Very unlucky as he was in a Mk 2 Impala. Not many hours on it. If he had the experience he would have closed the power and reduced the speed and maybe survived. RIP
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:50 am

Wildcat_004 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:54 pm
I was on my way to AFB Pietersburg to arrange accommodation for my upcoming Mirage course and I landed at Lanseria to refuel and he met me to take me to the crew room. He then left and took off, one of the compartment doors behind the canopy came open and with increasing speed induced a roll from which he ejected. He actually came first on his pilot course a few months prior to his accident. Very unlucky as he was in a Mk 2 Impala. Not many hours on it. If he had the experience he would have closed the power and reduced the speed and maybe survived. RIP
Wildcat_004,

It is amazing how many guys that came first on their courses died very early on in their SAAF careers. I am thinking of the Merlin crash in which Leon Goldstein died and Bruce Chinery who came first on our course that died in an Impala crash in 1983. :(

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Artfly
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: rand

Unread post by Artfly » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:28 pm

RIP.

Return to “We will remember them”