Edward 'Ted' Phelps

A place to remember our fallen friends, colleagues and aviators that shared our passions for the skies.

Moderator: Moderators

noelotten
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 10 times

Edward 'Ted' Phelps

Unread post by noelotten » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:07 pm

AvCom username(if was a member):
Born:
Passed away date: 24th December 2018
Details of passing:
Pictures:

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of a true legend and friend of 47 years. Ted Phelps was one of those hidden faces that helped to keep aviation alive. In particular he was a 'De Havilland man' through-and-through. A prolific restorer of vintage aircraft, in particular, the DH82A Tiger Moth.
I first met Ted when he was restoring his very first Tiger in his garage in Windsor Park, Joburg. He had to extend his single garage so that he could fit the assembled fuselage into it. It was a 'work-of-art-of-note'. The lengths he went to to ensure every nut, bolt and washer were precisely to manufacturer's specifications blew me away. A hall-mark of Ted's standard of workmanship throughout his career.

Ted came from a motoring background, (diesel engines to be precise). That first Tiger project opened the door for him to enter into the aircraft restoration business and soon it became his full-time employer. And he excelled at it! And soon enough Ted's wife Thelma was signed up to help and she too became expert in wooden wing construction.

You will be greatly missed Ted! Hope you receive your heavenly wings and soar high and wide.

Condolences to Thelma and to Ted's extensive family of children, grand and great-grand children.
Noel and Val Otten
The words "cheap", "aviation" and "safe" cannot, in my opinion, be used in the same sentence; not unless you add the word "not"! ... John Howse 1947 - 2010
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Edward 'Ted' Phelps

Unread post by Pete » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:37 am

Sad news :(
Met Ted and Thelma in the eighties when they moved their factory of the little geodetic construction Cub lookalike, called the "Koala" to Krugersdorp. I had never seen so many sucker sticks in all my life!

Ted also lost his Tigermoth "Charlie" in my T hangar due to a static discharge fire whilst he was refueling 8-[

RIP Ted and condolences Thelma
Pete Lastrucci
FLYGUYS
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by FLYGUYS » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:25 am

Sad news indeed :( :( :(
I was fortunate enough to be introduced to Ted Phelps at a young age due to my late Dad, Ronnie Crause, being involved with the EAA and helping Ted where he could with ZS-CTN.
We have truly lost a remarkable gentleman and craftsman and all that remains is to wish him all the happiness in building and flying his beloved Tiger forever more in the great blue yonder.

Condolences to Thelma and the whole family.

RIP

Jeff Crause
Ted 1.pdf
Ted 2.pdf
Ted 3.pdf
Ted 4.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZS-EFI
rvanzyl
Preflighting
Been liked: 0

Unread post by rvanzyl » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Sad To hear.

Remember Ted and Thelma well.

Condolences to family.

Rennie van Zyl

Return to “We will remember them”