Looking for a wind generator / alternator

Look for Engines, Props, GPS, Headsets, Books, DVDs, Flight suits, Hangerage etc here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
No commercial adverts please (If your intended post is of a commercial nature, then please follow this link and read BEFORE you post : http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=54617) .If you are advertising for a friend - the ad must contain the owners contact details. If you wish to advertise in the commercial section: - email ads@avcom.co.za for more information. Model Aircraft have their own section - any posted here will be deleted.
homebuilt
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAEL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Looking for a wind generator / alternator

Unread post by homebuilt » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Item Name:
Description:
Condition:
Reason for sale:
Price:
Pictures:
I need to fit a charging system to my Auster and was wondering if anyone has a wind driven alternator / generator, The type that mounts under the fuse between the gear lying around unused which I could buy off you. The Auster does not have a ring gear, fan belt or such other fittings so one has to find alternate ways of charging the batteries.
Please reply or call Colin on 083 762 0580.
andriek
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Been liked: 0

Re: Looking for a wind generator / alternator

Unread post by andriek » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:29 pm

homebuilt
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by homebuilt » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:45 pm

Thanks Andriek. That is sort of what I am looking for but need not be new or quite as powerful. Dont know that I would want to spend quite as much as they want for this one as it is a warbird and only used week-ends and for casual flying. Just looking to see what is out there for now and then I will decide if I should buy something new or not.
bluboyz
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: YMAY

Unread post by bluboyz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:06 am

G’day Homebuilt,

Maybe one of these ~ #-o

Some others at aircraft spruce ~
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... -14298.php

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... r=11728181

Home brew wind gen ~
https://www.pipercubforum.com/windgen.htm
or ~
https://backcountrypilot.org/forum/wind ... cies-18596

Search eBay Ram Air Turbines ~
44146 Airesearch Power Unit Elec. Ram Air Turbine ~
and/or ~
Dowry Rotol Tornado Ram Air Turbine P/N:680409002 Ex Mod ~
(sorry the Share Link function not working)

Google ~ Aircraft Wind Turbine Alternators ~

Cheers
homebuilt
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by homebuilt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:20 pm

Thanks guys. I have looked into all of those but was hoping to get something second hand and / or older since I have a warbird.
Russell Phillips
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: FAPE

Unread post by Russell Phillips » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Is this what you're after?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ppakotze
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Fly from FARS

Unread post by ppakotze » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:59 am

Russel how about a small solar panel?

Regards Pieter
Goose1
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Unread post by Goose1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:00 am

This Cub have a solar charging system. Thys Bas on Avcom is the owner and fitted the system, he can give more info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hans de Beer
AME A and H
PPL A and H
RV8 ZU-KEA
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASD
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by Induna » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:29 am

If no fan belt or alternator, why not look at the B&C 8A alternator that bolts to the accessory case? Its small, weighs little and easy to install. I have one in my aircraft and works like a charm!

http://www.bandc.aero/alternator8ampshomebuilt.aspx
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZU-xxx | VANS RV-8 in the making...
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
homebuilt
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by homebuilt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi guys. Sorry, but I have not checked this site for a while since I had someone screw me over. Contacted me with all the correct info and the perfect solution wind gen. I paid him but never received the part. Seems that he has scammed a few people on this forum already. Should not have trusted him even though it was on this aviation forum but hope he had a good Christmas after what he did.
homebuilt
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by homebuilt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:28 pm

Russell, that looks like it could be made to work depending on the charge rate and voltage rating. Should fit between the gear but not sure of the size or type of fan blade. Do you know any more about the details of that one please.
Goose, thanks. I have looked at solar but need to determine if the panel will charge through the plexiglass canopy. Plenty of space to fit a 300 x 300 mm panel inside under the glass and supported by the fuse frame.
Induna that charger looks great. I have a vacuum pump on my aerie but will have to look and see if I can drive it from somewhere else. Only other place I know of is the fuel pump and I have a mechanical pump too.

Thanks guys. You have given me the will to go ahead again after being scammed. I will do some research with the new info at my disposal and am sure I will come up with a solution soon.

Fly safe.
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:37 pm

homebuilt wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:07 pm
Hi guys. Sorry, but I have not checked this site for a while since I had someone screw me over. Contacted me with all the correct info and the perfect solution wind gen. I paid him but never received the part. Seems that he has scammed a few people on this forum already. Should not have trusted him even though it was on this aviation forum but hope he had a good Christmas after what he did.
Look here
https://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 9&t=214041
This guy has been busy :shock:
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Thys Bas
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by Thys Bas » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:36 pm

homebuilt wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:28 pm
Goose, thanks. I have looked at solar but need to determine if the panel will charge through the plexiglass canopy. Plenty of space to fit a 300 x 300 mm panel inside under the glass and supported by the fuse frame.
Hi Homebuilt, Our Cub does not have a generator or alternator or wind charger. It has a 40AH sealed battery to drive the electric starter (which I bought on AVCOM and it it hardly ever works, the clutch slips and was promised it works OK :roll: ) and the radio/intercom. We mostly fly once or twice a month, sometimes less. The dreaded weekend warriors :lol: . During the time in the hangar we keep the battery full using a C-Tech charger on Eskom power. When we move the Cub out of the hangar, the solar panel gets connected directly to the battery, no charge controller is used. The solar panel is installed inside the Cub against and inside the roof's plexiglass and it works well, even when we go away for a weekend and park the Cub in the sun, eg Nylstroom Taildragger's Fly In, EAA Sun-&-Fun, etc. It charges about 600mA peak. We installed it about 8 years ago.

The big plus point is that this system weighs much less than a generator and it's regulator system.

Ugly Duckling here is an expert on battery systems and he will probably confirm that our system is kept happy & working, more by the C-Tech charger than the solar panel, and the solar panel keeps the battery working by topping up what we use in flight. What ever it is, it works very well for our application. We can probably get away with a smaller battery but sometimes we are lucky and the starter works, and we operate from Wonderboom where we really need a reliable coms system. Hence the larger battery.
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:49 pm

Thys
Your system is KISS, Keep I Simple Stupid, and it WORKS. 8 years is enough proof that you are spot on with your thinking. =D>
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Thys Bas
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by Thys Bas » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:49 pm
Thys
Your system is KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid, and it WORKS. 8 years is enough proof that you are spot on with your thinking. =D>
Dankie Paul
:D

Homebuilt, next time you are planning to fly to Wonderboom, let me know, we can meet there. We hangar near Warbird Aircraft Services

Return to “Aviation Accessories”