General gyro info, please.

Chatter section for anyone with interests in autogyro, gyroplane, gyrocopter or any type of rotorcraft which uses an unpowered rotor in autorotation to develop lift.

Moderator: Moderators

Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

General gyro info, please.

Unread post by Lood » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:01 am

I'm becoming more and more intriqued by gyro's and although I do realize that the figures may differ widely among different makes and models, but I'd appreciate some feedback on the following, please:

1. In general, how slow can a gyro fly, but still be able to carry out normal flight maneuvres, like medium turns, safely?
2. What range could on expect, on average, at cruise power settings?
3. What are the main advantages/disadvntages when comparing tandem vs side-by-side seating arrangements?

Thanks in advance.
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
Learjet
See Helicopter in the distance
Closest Airfield: Morningstar

Re: General gyro info, please.

Unread post by Learjet » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:33 am

Lood wrote:I'm becoming more and more intriqued by gyro's and although I do realize that the figures may differ widely among different makes and models, but I'd appreciate some feedback on the following, please:

1. In general, how slow can a gyro fly, but still be able to carry out normal flight maneuvres, like medium turns, safely?
2. What range could on expect, on average, at cruise power settings?
3. What are the main advantages/disadvntages when comparing tandem vs side-by-side seating arrangements?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Lood,

1. I find that 60mph (in my gyro Magni M22) is a comfortable minimum airspeed with which to perform normal flight manoeuvres. More airspeed = more power curve margin of safety.

2. most gyros have about a 75 litre fuel tank / Rattex 914 approx 18l/per hour / so about 3 - 3.5 hrs endurance (no reserve) @90mph / 300 miles. (according to manufacturer but I find that cruise speed is under ideal conditions so I do most of my flight planning conservatively @75mph - gyros are draggy so headwinds take their toll on g/speed).

3. Mostly a matter of personal preference. Tandems offer better 360' visibility. These days there are open and closed cockpit tandem offerings. s/b/s - more sociable / enclosed cockpit. Not a significant difference between the two in terms of flight performance - s/b/s will keep you a little bit busier on the pedals in crosswind conditions.

:D
Dave Lehr
Magni M22 Voyager ZU-EPZ
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Many thanks. Would you mind if I come for a look see when I visit CT in August?
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
nomie
Rolling
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by nomie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:55 am

Lets see, my quick take:

1. Like Learjet said.

2. Some modern enclosed tandems with variable pitch propellers has quite ridiculous ranges, for example 840 km for the Ela 10 Eclipse. Otherwise pretty much what Learjet said.

3. Oooh. Well gyros were pretty much conceived to be wind in the hair fun machines, so the open cockpit tandem configuration matches the gyro's personality best. Buuut people be wanting comfort.

Open: More fun, except in winter. Best for photography. Wind buffeting makes noise cancelling headphones somewhat of a pain.
Closed: Less stable, especially on landing - need to be awake on the rudders. More creature comforts like a heater for winter. Quieter, can use noise cancelling headphones. Reflections from canopy when taking photos.
Winner: Gyro's with removable doors or interchangeable canopies like the Calidus.

Tandem: More fun when flying alone. Perfect visibility for pilot. Passenger comfort and visibility so-so, especially with wind in open gyro.
SBS: Less visibility for pilot, especially those models with the super thick columns - yes I am looking at you Cavalon. Passenger comfort better. Slower cruise by about 10km/h or so. Sitting off-center behind a curved windscreen makes landing tricky in some models, for some people.

Other factors:
Luggage space: Some gyros do not have enough luggage space to fit a toothpick.
Heavy vs sporty rotors: Stability for cross-countries and landings or fun around the cabbage patch?
Robustness: Some models are, cough, a bit more fragile than others.
Safety: Some models are a bit, cough, less safety inclined.
Support and brand perception: Some models just stay on the market forever even at give-away prices...
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:49 am

nomie wrote:Lets see, my quick take:
Robustness: Some models are, cough, a bit more fragile than others.
Safety: Some models are a bit, cough, less safety inclined.
Support and brand perception: Some models just stay on the market forever even at give-away prices...
Thanks a lot for your informative reply Nomie and I would specifically be rather interested in the "coughing" parts I quoted above. Probably best if we take it private, so you're welcome to mail me at: loodengels at gmail dot com

I was thinking that a gyro might be of great benefit for me on the farm. Looking for lost sheep, especially, that slips the workers when they're gathering them. Spotting problem animals from the air and just general patrolling of the farm, checking out water reservoirs, farm animals being in the wrong camps, etc.
So, basically looking at something that is safe, stable, robust and more suited for "work" instead of a high speed, luxurious, luggage carrying long distance cruiser. Looking for the Toyota Land Cruiser of gyro's, so to speak. It must have two seats though and be able to carry two proper sized occupants.
Dualstar
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Zynkraal

Unread post by Dualstar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Then you need to speak to Johan at www.wagtail.co.za Lood. They have the 4x4 of gyros
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Dualstar wrote:Then you need to speak to Johan at http://www.wagtail.co.za Lood. They have the 4x4 of gyros
Wow, had alook at their page and I am indeed impressed.
PO
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: H2Oklf
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by PO » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Lood wrote: I was thinking that a gyro might be of great benefit for me on the farm. Looking for lost sheep, especially, that slips the workers when they're gathering them. Spotting problem animals from the air and just general patrolling of the farm, checking out water reservoirs, farm animals being in the wrong camps, etc.
PPG?
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:25 pm

PO wrote:
Lood wrote: I was thinking that a gyro might be of great benefit for me on the farm. Looking for lost sheep, especially, that slips the workers when they're gathering them. Spotting problem animals from the air and just general patrolling of the farm, checking out water reservoirs, farm animals being in the wrong camps, etc.
PPG?
I know even less about them. How capable is PPG hot and windy conditions?
PO
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: H2Oklf
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by PO » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 am

Hi Lood

Personally I have no experience on PPG's, I (only) saw this article : http://www.landbou.com/bedrywe/benut-ge ... -boerdery/ :)
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks, I'll check it out.
kudu177
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Rand
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by kudu177 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Lood wrote:Thanks, I'll check it out.
Hi Lood,

Interesting question. But since you are already in the fixed-wing realm, why not something like a trike? (Although, I understand gyros are all-day-round aircraft and handle turbulence very well ... so maybe I just answered my own question :oops: )
Nav is a good life lesson: pick a point on the horizon and go there
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:39 pm

kudu177 wrote:
Lood wrote:Thanks, I'll check it out.
Hi Lood,

Interesting question. But since you are already in the fixed-wing realm, why not something like a trike? (Although, I understand gyros are all-day-round aircraft and handle turbulence very well ... so maybe I just answered my own question :oops: )
Indeed. I've only been a pax in a trike, long time ago for a very nice sunset flight. I was impressed and liked it a lot. From what I gather though, it seems that trikes do not like wind and high temperatures and hot conditions are the norm up in the Kalahari, unfortunately.

Return to “Gyro Chatter”