MT SPORT SRT

Chatter section for anyone with interests in autogyro, gyroplane, gyrocopter or any type of rotorcraft which uses an unpowered rotor in autorotation to develop lift.

Moderator: Moderators

Zazoo
Flight Planning
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

MT SPORT SRT

Unread post by Zazoo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 am

Just to share,

After poor repair services I was forced to replace the power plant of my MT Sport. We all know that it is not the cheapest thing to do but it must be done to keep on flying. :D After some serious research I opted to go the 912 upgrade route. There is the " think I know what I do" upgrades and then there is the right way.

I decided to do it the right way which should give me a bigger bang for the bucks spent, more enjoyable flying and maybe even a safer gyrocopter. Enter Pieter from Axella In Potch, what a great guy to do business with. He took the responsibility on to do the upgrade and the all important paperwork and final sign off. The project took nearly 7 months which included hours of bench testing, test flights to fine tune everything. The big bore kit which originated in Denmark was imported from the states.An inter-cooler was also fitted to reduce charge temp with around 40 degree C. New 2nd generation main rotor and DUC propeller was also fitted. All in all still cheaper than a new 914 or 915 engine

So finally I collected the gyro in Potch and with great surprise of the performance and quality of the conversion. Basic stats is close to the performance specs of the new Rotax 915 which is also based on the big bore conversion but now done by Rotax.

165 Hp but reduced to 135 Hp to allow the use of Mogas and ensure reliability.

Take off power max at 44 Mp with 5600 rpm which provide shorter take off rolls and far better climbing performance.

Maximum cont power is 120 Hp @ 39 Mp and 5200 rpm.

Cruise setting for range is 32 Mp @ 4800 rpm burning 19.8 L per hour.

With full tanks and two persons on board it performs nearly the same as the standard gyro with only the pilot.

It is a angel to fly and in my experience a lot safer too. Recovering from early beyond power curve situations is just a matter of adding power without the need to sacrifice altitude. I would recommend the conversion for anybody who enjoy gyro flying with high hours on their 914's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brig
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Maun
Has liked: 1 time

Re: MT SPORT SRT

Unread post by Brig » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Approximate cost?
Zazoo
Flight Planning

Unread post by Zazoo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Around 200k for whole conversion.
pieter.dewet
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Vryheid Airfield

Unread post by pieter.dewet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:50 am

Zazoo wrote:Around 200k for whole conversion.
That looks good.
Reaching GFA
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by 20048 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi Zazoo

Thanks for the informative post, you mentioned poor service caused the problem - sounds like a bad story -are you able to share (without getting sued :D PM me if you prefer?

I have an 850hr 914 so will definitely bear this in mind but hopefully, I will have a few hundred hours to go?

You mentioned
New 2nd generation main rotor and DUC propeller was also fitted.
Do you mind me asking what is a second generation main rotor and was that included in your price estimate?

Great to hear your gyro is running again and that you are happy.
Propwash

Return to “Gyro Chatter”