Drone insurance

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

AR15
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Drone insurance

Unread post by AR15 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:57 am

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased my first drone, a DJI Mavic Pro. I plan to fly fun and no commercial interests.

I am aware of the laws, no fly zones etc and plan to stay safe.

My question is regarding insurance, where can I get insurance to cover the drone and 3rd party insurance?

I do not have a drone license at the moment but plan to do the course in the near future.

Thank you,
cvdm
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Been liked: 0

Re: Drone insurance

Unread post by cvdm » Tue May 14, 2019 11:08 pm

If it is not to be used for commercial purposes, you can insure it under your normal "all risks" policy as a specified item. It will then not be covered while "in use", ie flying.

There are a few insurers who extended their cover to include drones while in use. The main problem for them is the liability risk that attaches to the use of such a drone. For this reason, you may need to pay an additional premium.

Speak to your broker or call Santam or Hollard to inquire about their options available. Keep an eye open for when cover will be in place as well as what the excesses structure looks like.

There are a number of providers out there that should be able to provide private use drone cover. Commercial is a bit more limited but also available.

Hope this helps.
edwoodza
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Drone insurance

Unread post by edwoodza » Tue May 21, 2019 2:41 pm

Public liability cover only valid for ROC's
and most other cover not really worth it.
ALWAYS read the small print. With drone insurance you will see some interesting terms. which basically can mean you paying and can never claim.
Remember any drone flight 10km from an airport/helipad (hospitals all have helipads) is illegal which means 95% of people flying drones are so too.
Insurance wont pay out on illegal activity.
Self insure may make more sense.
These users liked the author edwoodza for the post:
buks van niekerk

Return to “Drones, UAVs”