And In The News Today...! Update 1

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

Vesparado
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Not saying
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

And In The News Today...! Update 1

Unread post by Vesparado » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:08 am

FYI

http://www.news24.com/Travel/Flights/CA ... s-20140402

Looks like there is a fine on the cards despite the lack of legislation !

Another pump for the "fire pool" perhaps or just to stock up on vouchers for KFC Family bucket in case our no1 gets besieged by the very definite threats that made us spend an additional 246 Bar ! :lol:

Ves :mrgreen:
Last edited by Vesparado on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
I say,Fly It like you stole it!
cabeng
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rotorua -NZRO
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: And In The News Today...!

Unread post by cabeng » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:29 am

we all knew its coming , but must disagree with the "Lack of legislation" , the law is clear on where and what you can fly , no higher than 50ft , no more than 1m wing or 1 kg , not over public roads or places ??
can find it if you really want , but it is there
Clearly Weekends are made in china . They simply dont last !
stompie
Airborne from Unmanned field
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by stompie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:09 pm

Second thread on this issue.
While I agree that a people or a group should be ruled and regulated with an iron fist(let's not forget that people have been killed and maimed by the contraptions we put in the air),this sounds like it just pissed someone off,and not to formulate guide lines and regulations for the safety of civilians.Besides I have an issue with some poephol flying over a hospital or any crowded area,such person should definitely be fined or chucked in chookie.
The article does mention that regulations still need to be implemented,however a hefty fine and jail time hardly seems fair.
If we do adhere to the standards and regulations set out for us then where is the harm of flying at a field that meets current criteria but has not been approved by saama or whoevers the authority on the matter?
pulsext
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: Oribi

Unread post by pulsext » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 pm

Just to clarify; does flying a model at a saama registered field fall into this category? !
cabeng
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rotorua -NZRO
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by cabeng » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:24 pm

pulsext wrote:Just to clarify; does flying a model at a saama registered field fall into this category? !
its only speculation from my side , but from what I know (had a brief chat to a mate that has a brother whoes aunties dogs father is from the CAA) the issue is NOT with SAMAA registered fields but with the general public flying at home, Town or on the beach with their main concern being full size aircraft
but you never know what decisions are taken at the end of the day by the politicians ?
Clearly Weekends are made in china . They simply dont last !
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 323 times

Unread post by heisan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:28 pm

pulsext wrote:Just to clarify; does flying a model at a saama registered field fall into this category? !
Nope - applies only to non-recreational (i.e. commercial, scientific, or research) use of model aircraft.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Seank
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Bomac
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Seank » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Technically it's not unmanned if you are at the controls of the radio. I think it more aimed at the autonomous type 3 km's away, when there is no-one at the controls. I think there is too much bundling being done into the term drone. If I build a drone to fly as an RC plane it doesn't make it a drone even if it looks like one.
http://www.seankriegler.com
Remember - "you only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out"
CNC Foam cutter building a new one
YES, I did it!!! I can now CNC cut epoxy glass and carbon fibre servo horns...
farmpilot
Incipient Spin
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by farmpilot » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:54 pm

It's amazing, people (including me) have been saying it's illegal for years but have been shouted down on this site - not seen anyone saying sorry yet.
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:26 pm

Seank wrote:Technically it's not unmanned if you are at the controls of the radio. I think it more aimed at the autonomous type 3 km's away, when there is no-one at the controls. I think there is too much bundling being done into the term drone. If I build a drone to fly as an RC plane it doesn't make it a drone even if it looks like one.
No. It is a UAV if it meets the legal definition of a UAV:
“model aircraft” means a heavier-than-air aircraft of limited dimensions, with or without a
propulsion device, unable to carry a human being and to be used for competition, sport or
recreational purposes rather than unmanned aeronautical vehicles (UAV) developed for
commercial or governmental, scientific, research or military purposes, and not exceeding the
specifications as set by the Federation Aeronautique Internationale as listed in Document SA-
CATS 24;
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
SteveJay
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASK
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by SteveJay » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:28 pm

This really bothers me. Whatever our individual interpretations may be and how accurate they may be, the article referred to definitely includes RC airplanes, fixed and rotary wing:

UAS are classified as any aircraft that can fly without a pilot on board. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and can be controlled remotely by an individual on the ground, in another aircraft or through an on board computer system.

I can see a member of our finest arrive at a RC field and arrest people. Better the status of SAMAA approved fields is discussed and resolved (in the press). The CAA knows about this but the local constabulary does not.
Seank
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Bomac
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Seank » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:32 pm

heisan wrote:
Seank wrote:Technically it's not unmanned if you are at the controls of the radio. I think it more aimed at the autonomous type 3 km's away, when there is no-one at the controls. I think there is too much bundling being done into the term drone. If I build a drone to fly as an RC plane it doesn't make it a drone even if it looks like one.
No. It is a UAV if it meets the legal definition of a UAV:
“model aircraft” means a heavier-than-air aircraft of limited dimensions, with or without a
propulsion device, unable to carry a human being and to be used for competition, sport or
recreational purposes rather than unmanned aeronautical vehicles (UAV) developed for
commercial or governmental, scientific, research or military purposes, and not exceeding the
specifications as set by the Federation Aeronautique Internationale as listed in Document SA-
CATS 24;

Correct Justin. So I build a UAV Air frame under 50lbs with no auto pilot, rubbish etc, I fly it as a model "UAV", it doesn't make it a "UAV" under the broad spectrum "UAV" or Drone.

@SteveJay this is precisely why I say it's all being bundled together under the term Drone. Next your 150cc extra is going to be a drone when you put in a failsafe in the form of a GPS and an Autopilot just to help you land "Safely"
http://www.seankriegler.com
Remember - "you only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out"
CNC Foam cutter building a new one
YES, I did it!!! I can now CNC cut epoxy glass and carbon fibre servo horns...
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by danie.e » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:52 pm

Steve Jay,

Do not stress, RC as we know it is regulated by CAA through SAMAA and if you fly them at SAMAA registered airfields and adhere to SAMAA rules and regulations, and fly for recreational purposes, you are perfectly legal.

They are referring to the thingies we currently know as UAV's or "DRONES" the biggest problem here is the ones that can be flown beyond line of sight and for commercial purposes.

Elsewhere you will see I have asked questions about these things quite some time ago (see ask SAMAA section) and have also expressed my concerns that if either self regulation does not happen, we might get to a point where all forms of RC will be legislated against.

With our current legislators, anything is possible so lets hope they do not throw the legal blanket over our part of the sport as well.
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
fusionbrad
Rolling

Unread post by fusionbrad » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:03 pm

ok, so how do we do it legally?

I understand and agree with the fact that it should be regulated on a commercial bases.
There are many idiots giving us guys who do it properly a bad name

But that said, if they want to regulate or make laws around it they need to provide a legal way and opportunities to do it.

The problem is the demand is huge and growing and there are hardly any guys out there who have the knowledge or ability to do it safely and responsibly

and most of the time you find that its guys not even flying for commercial proposes giving a bad name to the guys who do it for a living
Goblin 700
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:06 pm

SteveJay wrote:This really bothers me. Whatever our individual interpretations may be and how accurate they may be, the article referred to definitely includes RC airplanes, fixed and rotary wing:

UAS are classified as any aircraft that can fly without a pilot on board. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and can be controlled remotely by an individual on the ground, in another aircraft or through an on board computer system.

I can see a member of our finest arrive at a RC field and arrest people. Better the status of SAMAA approved fields is discussed and resolved (in the press). The CAA knows about this but the local constabulary does not.
The ramblings of the political appointees does not matter - only the legal definition, as posted above. Note that this makes no distinction for line of site operation. The only distinction is a 5kg limit for 'free flight' (not radio or line controlled) aircraft (in CATS24).
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by danie.e » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:59 pm

Justin,

If what you say is correct, then SAMAA has for more than 40 years been a farce as well as it being appointed by the aeroclub to represent and reulate recreational use of model aircraft.
So its existence starting with the aeroclub, CAAA, whatever.

Thanks
Danie
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za

Return to “Drones, UAVs”