It was just a question of time....

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

Swampdonkey
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 32 times

It was just a question of time....

Unread post by Swampdonkey » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:00 am

A birdie whispered in my ear;
"A helicopter being used to film the world renowned Fish river canoe marathon on Saturday had to take evasive action to miss being hit by an illegal drone being flown by an irresponsible person. The incident took place at the famous "Kieth's rapid" which was being watched by over a thousand people as the canoeists shot the famous rapid. It was by the grace of God that the helo pilot was not taken out by the drone. The drone pilots response to the near miss , was, "I am legal, I am allowed to fly as long as not in a built up area". The helo pilot could not be contacted at the time for a response, but apparently was very shaken. It is irresponsible actions like this that will have drones banned for life".
Now what does the law say again?
"Excuse me while I kiss the sky!" ---Jimi---1967-
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: It was just a question of time....

Unread post by ZuluBen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:12 am

:shock:

Have to ask, how big was this drone?

I seen some the size of a large plate, and seen some about 1m by 1m.

Maybe its time that all pilots of large (by definition) RC craft and drones do a basic (Club level?) exam of an approved syllabus for a "Unmanned Craft License" ?
rudolphschar
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Worcester
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by rudolphschar » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:27 am

Common sense is rare commodity these days. Even if it is within the law someone with any common sense dont need a law to tell him not to endanger others' lifes.
Rudolph Scharneck

SF-25 Motorfalke, GPL
The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem.
nrm
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by nrm » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:34 am

I have offered to draft the total regulations for operating UAV's, either privately or commercially.

No takers
Neville Matthews
Wayne01
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: virginia
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Wayne01 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:38 am

What constitutes a near miss. How close must the two craft be to each other to be considered a near miss. Or is it when evasive action is required as stated was the case here. The only problem I see here is full size aircraft have absolute right of way, irrespective of altitude, for a full size to take the evasive action and not the drone sounds a bit far fetched. Perhaps the Heli pilot just got a fright, but this is not good. Eiether way the Heli pilot should have been made aware and given right of way.
Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 95 times

Unread post by Brand » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Oh dear - I get the impression they were both flying in the middle of nowhere?

Anyhow - I am much more concerned about those cables that seemingly more often "gets in the way"....
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels
Hexapilot
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Hexapilot » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:30 pm

I seriously doubt that a small drone can take out a full size heli.
If it was a drone like you buy in the shops anyway.
If it was uncontrolled airspace the heli pilot has only himself to blame for being that low. The drone pilot did not brake any laws, if he was not flying commercially. He might have come in to some problems IF he crashed and hurt someone, or damaged property. There are big birds heavier than most drones, and no one can, or has tried to fine or sue them.
Birds are known to have taken out drones though...

Storm.
Teacup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhDG_WBIQgc
Going fast
Going up
Say my name...

DISCLAIMER:
DO NOT TAKE ME SERIOUSLY!!!
ehs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Been liked: 0

Unread post by ehs » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Hexapilot wrote:I seriously doubt that a small drone can take out a full size heli.
If it was uncontrolled airspace the heli pilot has only himself to blame for being that low. The drone pilot did not brake any laws, if he was not flying commercially. He might have come in to some problems IF he crashed and hurt someone, or damaged property. There are big birds heavier than most drones, and no one can, or has tried to fine or sue them.
Birds are known to have taken out drones though... Storm. Teacup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhDG_WBIQgc
Just a few points 1) Drone in tail rotor - end of helo. 2) AIUI the helo was flying commercially on a photoshoot so would, of course, be low over the rapids to catch the action. Ops normal. 3) Never had a bird be a hazard - helo makes too much noise and vibrates too much for them too come close, perhaps? - only people are stupid enough to fly drones close to helos.
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Hexapilot
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Hexapilot » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:09 pm

ehs wrote:
Hexapilot wrote:I seriously doubt that a small drone can take out a full size heli.
Birds are known to have taken out drones though... Storm. Teacup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhDG_WBIQgc
Just a few points 1) Drone in tail rotor - end of helo. 2) AIUI the helo was flying commercially on a photoshoot so would, of course, be low over the rapids to catch the action. Ops normal. 3) Never had a bird be a hazard - helo makes too much noise and vibrates too much for them too come close, perhaps? - only people are stupid enough to fly drones close to helos.
Who says the drone pilot was not there first?
Why must the drone pilot get out of the way, of the heli, in uncontrolled airspace?
If a little drone like a DJI Phantom can take out a tail rotor on a heli, then I do not ever want to fly in a heli...
I also think that the drone would be blown away by the heli, and that no drone pilot would willingly go near a heli.
To call drone pilots idiots is not really that smart...
Going fast
Going up
Say my name...

DISCLAIMER:
ehs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by ehs » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:35 pm

Hexapilot wrote: Who says the drone pilot was not there first?
Why must the drone pilot get out of the way, of the heli, in uncontrolled airspace?
I am, of course, open to correction because I don't know the law on this but AFAIK toy aeries have to give way to real aeries. Perhaps someone better informed can give more info ... ?
If a little drone like a DJI Phantom can take out a tail rotor on a heli, then I do not ever want to fly in a heli...
Very sensible of you - terrible things, helos - noisy, a thousand moving parts looking for a place to have an accident :lol: no sensible soul would fly in a helo
To call drone pilots idiots is not really that smart...
Luckily I read your sig line disclaimer so am not taking you seriously :lol: you should really read what I wrote before you get your knickers in a knot about something I didn't write :roll:
Eddie Haynes-Smart
farmpilot
Incipient Spin
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by farmpilot » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:12 pm

So according to the publications from the CAA the drone pilot will be prosecuted???
Cornell Blok
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Cornell Blok » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:15 pm

DISCLAIMER:
Sheeeeez ok nearly got me worried there =D>
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://www.flynationwidevirtual.com/
henk-indabush
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund

Unread post by henk-indabush » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:18 pm

If pilots of aircraft have to do position reports when flying in uncontrolled airspace, for safety reasons, should drone pilots not have to do similar? Same airspace, same rules?
"Circumstances doth not maketh the man, it reveals him" James Allen
Chuck
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FLKK
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Chuck » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:36 pm

rudolphschar wrote:Common sense is rare commodity these days. Even if it is within the law someone with any common sense dont need a law to tell him not to endanger others' lifes.

Indeed, it's a lot saver if the drone takes the video shots of the canoeists in the rapids!

:twisted:
'What we find on internet, we readily believe, and what we ourselves find, we imagine others find also.'
Julius Ceasar, 44 BC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSvgPO7jNU
SteveJay
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASK
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by SteveJay » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:38 pm

The questions as to the legality of the drone at the time, or the size (potential threat) of the drone, or what is (by law) a near miss, who was their first, etc. are all irrelevant. When any full size is placed in jeopardy (perceived jeopardy) by a model the “model” will take the kick.

If the Heli was forced to take evasive action, then it was a near miss (airprox?)

Return to “Drones, UAVs”