It was just a question of time....

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 372 times

Re: It was just a question of time....

Unread post by cage » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:26 am

Kid wrote:What does the law say about minimum height restrictions for man carrying aircraft in uncontrolled areas? I am sure I read somewhere something like 500” or 700” and 2000” over built-up areas.
There are very specific laws for overflight, continued overflight and overflight of gatherings of people.
This does vary for helicopters which are given more latitude and lower height restrictions - in a chopper you largely have to not be posing a risk to people or property and be able to recover from an engine failure, there isn't actually a minimum height specified. (common sense should apply).
In the latter case you would hope that a twin engined chopper would be in use for very low level flight.

Outside of this specific operations can be executed with permission from the director of the CAA.
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by wWw » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:29 am

I am amazed by the attitude and ignorance of the RC pilots on this thread :shock: Your RC is more valuable than the life of a person :?:
You guys need to rethink the way you are approaching this matter, as the way you are going about it you may just ensure that the rules pertaining to your activity are going to get very difficult :!: :idea: :!:
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 595 times

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:33 am

I am taking a fly swatter with next time I fly the chopper!

Whirly.
Not every home needs a dog but every dog needs a home.
richard C
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 266 times

Unread post by richard C » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:35 am

If there had have been a crash:

Would the court not simply ask - 'what would a reasonable man do ?'

So if the drone operator clearly endangered the helicopter even though it was within his power to avoid a collision, then the drone operator would face prosecution, right ?
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Unknown
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Snitch » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:35 am

Kid wrote:What does the law say about minimum height restrictions for man carrying aircraft in uncontrolled areas? I am sure I read somewhere something like 500” or 700” and 2000” over built-up areas.

(1) Except when necessary for taking off, or landing, or except with prior written
approval of the Director, no aircraft –

(a) shall be flown over congested areas or over an open-air assembly of persons at a
height less than 1 000 feet above the highest obstacle, within a radius of 2 000 feet from
the aircraft;

(b) when flown elsewhere than specified in paragraph (a), shall be flown at a height less
than 500 feet above the ground or water, unless the flight can be made without hazard
or nuisance to persons or property on the ground or water and the PIC operates at a
height and in a manner that allows safe operation in the event of an engine failure; and

(c) shall circle over or do repeated overflights over an open-air assembly of persons at a
height less than 3 000 feet above the surface.

(2) A helicopter shall be permitted to be flown at heights less than those prescribed in subregulation

(1)(a), provided that–

(a) the operation is conducted without hazard to persons and property on the ground or
water; and

(b) the PIC operates at a height and in a manner that allows safe operation in the event of
an engine failure.
Kid
Airspeed active

Unread post by Kid » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:36 am

And full-size pilot may do what they want regardless of the law or commonsense and everybody else must make way? What a attitude! Sound a lot like the blue light brigade.
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by cage » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:41 am

Kid wrote:And full-size pilot may do what they want regardless of the law or commonsense and everybody else must make way? What a attitude! Sound a lot like the blue light brigade.
No. We break the law - we lose our license, or lively hoods in the case of comm pilots.
You break the law - you lose some plastic from Fong Kong.

We know the laws and operate within them.
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by wWw » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:42 am

Kid wrote:And full-size pilot may do what they want regardless of the law or commonsense and everybody else must make way? What a attitude! Sound a lot like the blue light brigade.
I guess your username says it all. Grow up. This is the real world. A persons life can be lost.
farmpilot
Incipient Spin
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by farmpilot » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:44 am

No one has said that - the attitude started with the drone brigade.
richard C
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 266 times

Unread post by richard C » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:46 am

Not even close, Kid.

Strap yourself to your drone and then let's discuss airmanship and risk-taking.

That is unlikely, but study the PPL book on Airlaw in the meantime so you can see that what you say is simply not true.
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
ehs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by ehs » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:51 am

richard C wrote:If there had have been a crash:

Would the court not simply ask - 'what would a reasonable man do ?'

So if the drone operator clearly endangered the helicopter even though it was within his power to avoid a collision, then the drone operator would face prosecution, right ?
It depends - have you paid your deposit :twisted: :lol: Actually, in essence, you've summed it up :D we lawyers "drone" (geddit?) on a bit more though to boost our fee income :twisted:
Last edited by ehs on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Kid
Airspeed active

Unread post by Kid » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:52 am

I can name a lot instances where full size pilots broke the law and put his and people on the ground life’s in danger and actually caused death. Don’t think because someone has a license he is an angel. There are a lot of hooligan pilots out there. And just for you information I don’t own a “drone”.
ehs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by ehs » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:57 am

Kid wrote:I can name a lot instances where full size pilots broke the law and put his and people on the ground life’s in danger and actually caused death. Don’t think because someone has a license he is an angel. There are a lot of hooligan pilots out there. And just for you information I don’t own a “drone”.
Sure, and I, for one, hope they were charged appropriately #-o
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Kid
Airspeed active

Unread post by Kid » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:02 am

The one in a TWO helicopter and his TWO passengers actually died. Some of the others were reported and NOTHING happened, not even a warning. I am talking about seriously dangerous low flying over people and property.
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by cage » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:03 am

Kid wrote:I can name a lot instances where full size pilots broke the law and put his and people on the ground life’s in danger and actually caused death. Don’t think because someone has a license he is an angel. There are a lot of hooligan pilots out there. And just for you information I don’t own a “drone”.
These forums are for those that strive to be better pilots and do so within the law.
Whether private, commercial or hobbyist the laws apply and need to be enforced equally for everyone's safety and enjoyment.
Wrong is wrong - irrespective of what you fly and where you fly it.

Return to “Drones, UAVs”