Drone activity

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

Marius Schrenk
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 242 times

Re: Drone activity

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:44 am

Lood wrote:Just shoot it from cover, so that the camera doesn’t “see” you. Then there’s no evidence and proving how and why it went down will be impossible.

If a drone films my children, tanning in the privacy of my own home, I’ll shoot it down, be it illegal or not. Tomorrow, when the pictures that he took of my family, is all over the internet and social media, the drone operator is untouchable, because his identity isn’t known. Nobody will care who placed the pictures, but instead, most will have a ball, ruining my family’s reputation.

So, who’s right and who’s wrong here ...
:lol: :lol: Lood ......tell them to tan with their cloths on. :wink:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
Jel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Jel » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:19 am

The only right in this situation is protecting your family, the rest can come later... something seen cannot be unseen... as Lood says do it from cover... the camera can only view one area at a time... A pellet from a steep trajectory will come down as steep and while possible, highly unlikely that it will cause harm on its way down
paulw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 207 times

Unread post by paulw » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:14 am

Jolley Roger wrote:..and consider where the pellet/round will end up if you miss, since you are in middle of town.
Hhhmm, true, I don't know what damage a pellet will make but a bullet kills going up and down through a roof.
Someone in Capital Park Pretoria shot a rifle on New Years eve into the air and killed someone far far away on his veranda in mountain View Pretoria.
In the Police Museum in Pretoria is a show case as well of someone who fired a rifle and killed a girl (I think a girl) sleeping in her bed. Bullet went up and down in an arc through the roof of the house.

And on who's head will the drone fall when it comes down?
Maybe not shoot it after all..... :shock:

Just hunt the pilot down and shoot him.... :twisted:
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 119 times

Unread post by SlowApproach » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:25 am

Also have the same issue of a %$@&! low-flying Phantom constantly stalking properties in my neighbourhood. Unable to trace the pilot's location but the flight pattern suggests it's on an autonomous flight plan (i.e. fly and hover from property for property). I predict it is going to suffer a catastrophic in-flight failure... soon :evil:
Last edited by SlowApproach on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
The_Kev
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by The_Kev » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:38 am

Questions to the original poster:

What town is this happening in? How high is he hovering?

I want to see if I can get a response on the drone groups on Facebook or at least make the members aware that they not invisible, seeing that he hovers for 20 minutes at a time it sounds like the drone guy might be trying to take time lapse sequences of his hometown and is probably not even aware of where he is.
C2H5OH
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAFK

Unread post by C2H5OH » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:22 pm

I may be playing devils advocate here, but I would advise against taking the law into your own hands, and shooting down a RPAS, for several reasons.

As The_Kev mentioned, there could be a legitimate reason why the operator "appears" to be loitering, and perceptions are hard to judge.
Although unlikely this individual is operating under an ROC (I'm just using this as an example for other situations),

It doesn't specifically use the words 'private property' (land) but buildings, I assume because in the CAA's eyes any space above ground is their domain, but; CAR 101.05.14 does imply that an ROC holder can fly over property (buildings) they may not necessarily have permission for from the owner.
(1) No RPA shall be operated within a lateral distance of 50m from any structure or building, unless-
(a) the operator is a holder of an ROC and the operation has been approved by the Director in their operations manual; or
(b) permission is obtained from the owner of such structure or building.
For private use (non ROC holders) however:
the RPA may only be operated over property for which the operator has ownership or permission;

Now I'm putting this out there as a caution, because it could be difficult for members of the public on the ground to know if an RPA is operating legitimately or not. (So really our assumption is likely based on the law of averages... being that its most likely not an ROC holder & just some idiot skirting the law as is in most cases)
But I wouldn't think of shooting a helicopter hovering (albeit higher I hope) above my property on the odd chance the pilot was unlicensed, so why an RPA? Both operate under the same jurisdiction.

Besides the case of legal operations, there are also this to consider even if the pilot is operating illegally:

You don't know where the damaged RPA will force land (fall out the sky). It could end up crashing into traffic or people, possibly injuring or killing someone.

Third, simply put, courts serve a purpose, you are not entitled to take law into your own hands, the merits and evidence of an offence need to be judged by the court. There are already other laws & by-laws regarding privacy, noise, trespassing etc. Although in this case its difficult to identify the individual flying the drone in order to report them, it still stands to reason that unless you can prove they were operating in a dangerous manner to you/your family/property etc. or blatantly harassing your privacy. The owner of the RPA may have case against you for damages to HIS private property (the drone) if he managed to catch you on camara shooting it.
Although the shining light in the case of an illegal operator, who knows he's doing something wrong, the chances of him being foolish enough to try that are slim... But someone hurt by the drone falling on their head or windshield may be a different story.
Last edited by C2H5OH on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I'm a quad pilot, and im ok.
I drink all night and I fly all day.
When the works all done, and I get home.
I put up my feet and pull out the rum.
Hybrydza
Radio Call
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Hybrydza » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 pm

I would get a small cheap toy quad (drone) launch it from cover and fly it into his props...he won't even see you coming if the wreck lands in your yard use it as fire lighters.
When in doubt, gas it! It may not solve the problem but should end the suspense!
nrm
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 87 times

Unread post by nrm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 pm

You have to have every building listed and approved by the Director in your ops manual. So having a ROC does not entitle you to fly over any building you choose.
Neville Matthews
Ugly Duckling
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 685 times
Been liked: 603 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Depending on the age of your kids, with suitable restrictions, they could lead him on until his battery dies and it crashes. Ducking under a patio or lapa may entice him to decend for a better look and give you a sporting chance.
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 274 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:28 pm

....Redmoon, check this out -

https://www.google.com.na/aclk?sa=l&ai= ... IJQ&adurl=

...maybe get a net gun and capture it, when the pilot comes knocking you can have a heart to heart!
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Thermalator
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Thermalator » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 pm

Download wifi sniffer software onto a laptop or cellphone and try to first exclude wifi devices living in the area then try to identify the drone when its there - this is evidence. DJI wifi addresses usually start with 60:60:1f

start practicing shotgun effects with a powerful hand catepult
info junkie
C2H5OH
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by C2H5OH » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:01 pm

nrm wrote:You have to have every building listed and approved by the Director in your ops manual. So having a ROC does not entitle you to fly over any building you choose.
I'm unsure if that is the case, the ROC can be approved in their operations manual to operate within 50m of buildings by demonstrating to the inspector their ability to do so safely. Although its further stated that necessary permissions should be obtained where relevant to comply with any local by-laws etc. So seems somewhat of a grey area, on paper anyway.
In all fairness I personally wouldn't want to test it the hard way. So obtaining permission for neighbors should always be standard practice.

What I am trying to get at however, is that in any case as unlikely as the pilot has such approval, Joe Soap on the ground may not be aware if he does, thus highly questionable would be his right to destroy an aircraft operating in airspace above his property.

Again ignoring all the legal aspects. My common sense would tell me its terribly irresponsible idea anyway as a damaged drone could fall anywhere on anyone.
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 119 times

Unread post by SlowApproach » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:19 pm

C2H5OH wrote:... terribly irresponsible idea anyway as a damaged drone could fall anywhere on anyone.
Sorry to say, but that is a rather nonsensical argument. Your typical multi-rotor drone has a very high probability of falling anywhere all by itself (due to many possibilities, including low battery/battery or esc failure, hitting a tall object, etc etc.). Therefore, if it is so potentially dangerous/damaging, it shouldn't be flown anywhere near someone's person or property anyway.
Last edited by SlowApproach on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
C2H5OH
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by C2H5OH » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:21 pm

SlowApproach wrote:... Your typical multi-rotor drone has a very high probability of falling anywhere all by itself...
:lol: :lol: :lol: touche No contest

I do think though what we need is the SACAA to put legislation in place requiring any camera drone sold
(I say it should be illegal for stores to sell them without, since its not legal operators we really need to worry about)
or operated to required some form of automated electronic identification. If not transponders, then perhaps something along the lines of what DJI has unveiled as a possibility (They can broadcast identifiable information on the drones control / wifi signal that could be picked up by local observers) At least that way it could somewhat deter casual chance takers / perverts alike.
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Lood » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:15 pm

Just my opinion, but I'm very sure that when a drone's engines stop, it can only fall one way and that's straight down. I'm certainly not going to bring it down any other place, except over my own yard.
Just as I don't know who is invading my privacy, he'll never know what happened to his drone...

In the times we're living in, and even more so in South Africa, I simply can't give the drone operator the benefit of the doubt. It might very well be a crime syndicate, using the drone to gain info for a possible robbery from my home, or maybe looking for pretty girls, like my daughter, to kidnap for human trafficing. Call my speculation far fetched, but that's reality.

I have nothing for any drone to look at, so if I find it continuously hovering over my home, without my permission, I'll deal with it, quietly, but severely. Luckily I live on a farm, so chances of being bothered by this nuisance are just about nil. :D
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan

Return to “Drones, UAVs”