DANGER!! DANGER! DRONE ALERT!! Pretoria area

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

cardinalpilot
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

DANGER!! DANGER! DRONE ALERT!! Pretoria area

Unread post by cardinalpilot » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Just had an interesting conversation with the SACAA. I reported a drone operating illegally in the Faerie Glen area. We are living in a densely populated area. We are close to Menlyn as well. The SAAF operates an C130 and jets on a regular basis on low level circuits around here. We also have the police pilatus porter in operation here. Depending on weather this is the turning point for O.R. Thambo as well. When I confronted the owner operator of the drone he pulled the old racist card. No drone license and a unregistered drone. "He says he legally registered it with the manufacturer!" REALLY??? The import of these craft should be regulated on the import by customs already!!

I would like to know when is the authorities going to clamp down on these operators and sellers? Do we have to have an aircraft plowing into an residential area killing people and making international news?

The attitude of SACAA is take a picture and we will investigate it next time he flies??? REALLY???

We have the address and the operator get the police or someone to confiscate the drone pending the investigation.
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 152 times

Re: DANGER!! DANGER! DRONE ALERT!! Pretoria area

Unread post by Jack Welles » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:20 pm

cardinalpilot wrote:We have the address and the operator get the police or someone to confiscate the drone pending the investigation.
Without specific legislation the authorities cannot confiscate anything from anyone simply because they're going to conduct an investigation because a third party said something wrong was going on. I haven't looked up the relevant law but catching someone in the act would be different.

It's really not a bad idea to take piccies because that would provide the authorities with some sort of proof.
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 121 times

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi cardinalpilot

I am pro regulation and pro drone and fly my own stuff. So hearing this from me should surprise a lot of people.

If you really feel that this pilot is a risk to others and the surrounds, place an anonymous call to SAPS saying that there is a drone flying near xxxx with what looks like a smoke grenade or real grenade taped to it. The normal "spying or noise or invasion of privacy" issue, seldom gets a rouse out of the cops.

Watch the fun ensue....

W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSU
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by heinrich » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:56 pm

I reported a drone operating illegally in the Faerie Glen area.
Ok call me obtuse, but I'm going to stick my neck out and ask: How does one distinguish between a drone operating illegally and legally? I'm trying to picture the scene. You go walk your dog or swing a few golf clubs - as I imagine you do in Faerie Glen - and you see a drone flying around just above the treetops or higher, I don't know. How can one tell if it's legal or not? Are we not creating a situation where every single drone you see, is being labelled illegal? Even the ones buzzing around in peoples' backyards.

For reference, I stick to RC helis and park flyers these days as the hassle and politics of RC flying clubs is something I can't stomach anymore. I have friends that fly drones so I have a passing interest, but personally I find them pretty boring to fly.
nrm
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 87 times

Unread post by nrm » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Neville Matthews
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 121 times

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:10 pm

I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSU
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by heinrich » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Dankie Wonko. That's exactly what I was aiming for.
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 902 times
Been liked: 116 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Obviously illegal in any residential area than as most (if not all) properties are less than 50m.
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
Blackwing
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: George

Unread post by Blackwing » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:35 pm

I am just playing Devil's advocate here...

Are we sure none of us has ever gone even 10km/h over the speed limit?
Never looked at a text while driving?
Never had 1 1/2 beers and "quickly" drove home?

(All of the above can be shrugged off as .. aag man I wasn't being a tool and I was being safe...) But it was still illegal.

A guy flying above his house or 30 meters from a property instead of 50.. should hardly be crucified. (Unless there is someone willing to throw stones that do not live in a glass house?

I fully agree that safety to aircraft MUST be top priority. And I have pissed off many a fellow drone pilot by telling them they are being tools in blatantly ignoring regulation. But as with anything, I am sure things can be "bent" a bit and still not be a case of going to jail for 10 years...

#justMy2Cents
paulw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 593 times
Been liked: 208 times

Unread post by paulw » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:Hi cardinalpilot

I am pro regulation and pro drone and fly my own stuff. So hearing this from me should surprise a lot of people.

If you really feel that this pilot is a risk to others and the surrounds, place an anonymous call to SAPS saying that there is a drone flying near xxxx with what looks like a smoke grenade or real grenade taped to it. The normal "spying or noise or invasion of privacy" issue, seldom gets a rouse out of the cops.

Watch the fun ensue....

W
And hope they don't treat it as a bomb scare and trace the call afterwards by contacting Telkom and cellphone providers.

Maybe say there are four men with this drone spying on a property for a possible burglary attempt?
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
paulw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 593 times
Been liked: 208 times

Unread post by paulw » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Do these get distributed with the drones when sold so the buyers are aware?
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 179 times

Unread post by Fransw » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 pm

They must do the same with the drones as with TV's...if you have a 'license' you may buy a drone!
Blackwing
Flight Planning

Unread post by Blackwing » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Fransw wrote:They must do the same with the drones as with TV's...if you have a 'license' you may buy a drone!
But even then, you are not allowed to fly any more than the guy without a RPL. :-| [-X
Blackwing
Flight Planning

Unread post by Blackwing » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:43 pm

Back to the original topic of this post.

The guy was either playing dumb, or he really didnt know too much about what he was doing wrong.

Maybe the approach should rather be to educate people? No one responds well to threats and it will probably make some guys fly illegal (unsafe) just to prove a point.

Maybe drive around with those two pamphlets from the CAA mentioned above and hand them out to a drone operator that you think is acting un-safe/illegal.

I for one am prepping a "documentation pack" to keep in my drone bag that I can produce if someone hassles me. (The above two pamphlets included). Flying a drone has almost become a "shame on you" kind of thing even if the operator is not mucking about and causing problems. I really don't know why. The potential and technology are amazing. It should be embraced.

?
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 152 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:13 pm

And just seeing the thing flying around how would you know whether the drone operator had pre-organised CAA permission or not?

Return to “Drones, UAVs”