droning the neighbourhood ?

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

airdroner
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: fakr
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

droning the neighbourhood ?

Unread post by airdroner » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:57 am

Hi everyone i am new but have been flying for 2 years rc now.

I am in the krugersdorp area and would like to know what are the rules about flying a drone in the neigbourhood, is it legal or not ? I see a few people flying drones all around me and no one complaining... yet.

What actions can be taken against a drone pilot should he continue to fly over houses, is it illegal ?

Overseas it seems that a lot of people misunderstood the drone for spying when in actual fact the drone is merely flying past or just hovering and not even filming anything and the law is such that these pilots cannot be prosecuted, i agree as most of the pilot's intention is not to spy at all but to simply just to fly the drone and when recording it would be of the intention to record the beautiful natural scenery from above, not to be dumb and stupid enough to spy on people.

See here for interesting scenarios:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-90265-2-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-110992-1-4.html
jvdl
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FABL
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: droning the neighbourhood ?

Unread post by jvdl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:55 am

http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Remotel ... stems.aspx
DO NOT, through act or omission, endanger the safety of another aircraft or person therein or any person or property through negligent flying/operation of Remotely Piloted Aircraft, or toy aircraft.

Do not fly/operate Remotely Piloted Aircraft, or toy aircraft 50 m or closer from:

1. Any person or group of persons (like sports field, road races, schools, social events, etc.)
2. Any property without permission from the property owner.
http://www.caa.co.za/Media%20Statements ... 20laws.pdf
Hefty fines for failure to abide by the rules

RPAS operators who fail to adhere to civil aviation regulations could receivea 10-year prison sentence or a fine of R50 000, or both. Individuals that use RPAS in an irresponsible manner may also face legal liabilityfor breaking laws enforceable by other government agencies.
~ Jan van der Linde
https://aircraftregister.co.za <-- :!: Down until I can get fibre at my new place
garymac
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: tzaneen
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by garymac » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:00 pm

Drone are not allowed to fly over private property with out the propertys owners permission.
You are alowed to fly the drone in your property provided your don't live in a no fly zone 10 km or closer to an air port
You can fly a drone In an open field provided you don't fly closer than 50m to poeple and buildings and as long as it's not a no fly zone .
This is the rules I stick to most of the time .
I enjoy chasing my small 100mm size race drones around my property but go out to a field to fly my bigger race drones
747TDR
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: EICK
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by 747TDR » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:00 pm

jvdl wrote:http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Remotel ... stems.aspx
DO NOT, through act or omission, endanger the safety of another aircraft or person therein or any person or property through negligent flying/operation of Remotely Piloted Aircraft, or toy aircraft.

Do not fly/operate Remotely Piloted Aircraft, or toy aircraft 50 m or closer from:

1. Any person or group of persons (like sports field, road races, schools, social events, etc.)
You'll notice that the law says that you cannot fly/operate FROM any property without permission from the property owner. The from is the important part of the law. You can take off from your own land/land upon which you have permission to operate, but then fly over someone else's property WHILE still following the rules.

Almost every drone law throughout the world has the FROM as part of it, confusing most.

I am not encouraging you to fly in your neighbourhood, but the law is pretty clear that, once all other rules are followed, it is POSSIBLE.
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 323 times

Unread post by heisan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:38 pm

747TDR wrote:You'll notice that the law says that you cannot fly/operate FROM any property without permission from the property owner. The from is the important part of the law. You can take off from your own land/land upon which you have permission to operate, but then fly over someone else's property WHILE still following the rules.

Almost every drone law throughout the world has the FROM as part of it, confusing most.

I am not encouraging you to fly in your neighbourhood, but the law is pretty clear that, once all other rules are followed, it is POSSIBLE.
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, or not. But just for clarity, "from" is giving the origin for measuring the distance - it has nothing to do with the origin of the flight.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 118 times

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:47 pm

747TDR wrote:
jvdl wrote:http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Remotel ... stems.aspx

You'll notice that the law says that you cannot fly/operate FROM any property without permission from the property owner. The from is the important part of the law. You can take off from your own land/land upon which you have permission to operate, but then fly over someone else's property WHILE still following the rules.

Get it right please. The law is related to the drone (machine) itself. You can be anywhere you want as long as the DRONE is:
Within VLOS of YOU
under 400' ABOVE the Ground and STILL in VLOS

and the DRONE is NOT
.......50 m or closer from (THESE THINGS) :

Capture.JPG
I don't have the crayons or patience to explain this better...

W
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)

Return to “Drones, UAVs”