FPV & BVLOS

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
KZNChris
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 890
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: Pietermaritzburg KZN
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

FPV & BVLOS

Unread post by KZNChris » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 pm

I see the new DJI Phantom 4 PRO V2 has quite a few nice new upgrades

I wonder if using the DJI goggles , FPV , and Head Tracking counts as BVLOS ?
User avatar
Trevor Duane
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1504
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Location: Home
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 79 times

Re: FPV & BVLOS

Unread post by Trevor Duane » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:48 pm

KZNChris wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 pm
I see the new DJI Phantom 4 PRO V2 has quite a few nice new upgrades

I wonder if using the DJI goggles , FPV , and Head Tracking counts as BVLOS ?
In SA anything further than 1000m from the pilot is considered BVLOS and 500m - 1000m is considered EVLOS
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clip'd Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
UAVManufacturer www.pegasuas.co.za
https://youtu.be/Aux7J7H0DHI
User avatar
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Posts: 6019
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 323 times

Re: FPV & BVLOS

Unread post by heisan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:12 pm

Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:48 pm
KZNChris wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 pm
I see the new DJI Phantom 4 PRO V2 has quite a few nice new upgrades

I wonder if using the DJI goggles , FPV , and Head Tracking counts as BVLOS ?
In SA anything further than 1000m from the pilot is considered BVLOS and 500m - 1000m is considered EVLOS
FPV is by definition BVLOS or EVLOS anyway...
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
User avatar
KZNChris
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 890
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: Pietermaritzburg KZN
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: FPV & BVLOS

Unread post by KZNChris » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Thanks for replies
Apparently there is only ONE organisation school able [registered] to offer BVLOS training ?
One wonders how intelligent "tinkerers" can ever expand their creativity when ANY experimentation is doomed -- at birth !
Perhaps I need to set up a "Drone-Park" in some undeveloped wilderness place where the very few people resident have never heard of SACAA and think that it is some kind of swear-word.
User avatar
Trevor Duane
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1504
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Location: Home
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 79 times

Re: FPV & BVLOS

Unread post by Trevor Duane » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:55 pm

KZNChris wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:37 pm
Thanks for replies
Apparently there is only ONE organisation school able [registered] to offer BVLOS training ?
One wonders how intelligent "tinkerers" can ever expand their creativity when ANY experimentation is doomed -- at birth !
Perhaps I need to set up a "Drone-Park" in some undeveloped wilderness place where the very few people resident have never heard of SACAA and think that it is some kind of swear-word.
Where did you read that , it may be old news. There are two ATO's licensed to train on BVLOS platforms.
BVLOS in SA is in its first few months so give it some time, we will have some more players involved.

But with regards to your further statements, we need less of this in the world. Aviation is not designed for this type of mindset, while I can agree that in some parts the regulations are not reasonable it is extremely important in the context of safety. Please consider that many people may read your comment and come to the conclusion that this is acceptable and the results could be catastrophic.
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clip'd Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
UAVManufacturer www.pegasuas.co.za
https://youtu.be/Aux7J7H0DHI
User avatar
KZNChris
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 890
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: Pietermaritzburg KZN
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: FPV & BVLOS

Unread post by KZNChris » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:55 pm
Where did you read that , it may be old news. There are two ATO's licensed to train on BVLOS platforms.
BVLOS in SA is in its first few months so give it some time, we will have some more players involved.

But with regards to your further statements, we need less of this in the world. Aviation is not designed for this type of mindset, while I can agree that in some parts the regulations are not reasonable it is extremely important in the context of safety. Please consider that many people may read your comment and come to the conclusion that this is acceptable and the results could be catastrophic.
ONLY TWO ?

What could be catastrophic in flying and crashing a UAV in the middle of a "desert"
It seems to me that when it comes to some people they have a mindset that says -- where is the line for the gas chambers and where do I join it !
User avatar
Trevor Duane
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1504
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Location: Home
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 79 times

Re: FPV & BVLOS

Unread post by Trevor Duane » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 pm

KZNChris wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:03 pm
Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:55 pm
Where did you read that , it may be old news. There are two ATO's licensed to train on BVLOS platforms.
BVLOS in SA is in its first few months so give it some time, we will have some more players involved.

But with regards to your further statements, we need less of this in the world. Aviation is not designed for this type of mindset, while I can agree that in some parts the regulations are not reasonable it is extremely important in the context of safety. Please
consider that many people may read your comment and come to the conclusion that this is acceptable and the results could be catastrophic.
ONLY TWO ?

What could be catastrophic in flying and crashing a UAV in the middle of a "desert"
It seems to me that when it comes to some people they have a mindset that says -- where is the line for the gas chambers and where do I join it !
Have you even any idea what it requires to create a BVLOS training syllabus which includes IR type MET training and Instrument Flight training not to mention the operating systems training. It took a team of 8 staff, 7 months and well over a million rand to create our BVLOS syllabus . Most ATO's don't even have staff let alone the capital required to complete the task. So how could any reasonable person expect more players in the market. I guarantee you SACAA are not handing out BVLOS training licenses as early xmas presents .

Chris with all respect, based on your responses I cannot respond to you any further .
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clip'd Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
UAVManufacturer www.pegasuas.co.za
https://youtu.be/Aux7J7H0DHI
User avatar
KZNChris
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 890
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: Pietermaritzburg KZN
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: FPV & BVLOS

Unread post by KZNChris » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:56 am

Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 pm
Have you even any idea what it requires to create a BVLOS training syllabus which includes IR type MET training and Instrument Flight training not to mention the operating systems training. It took a team of 8 staff, 7 months and well over a million rand to create our BVLOS syllabus . Most ATO's don't even have staff let alone the capital required to complete the task. So how could any reasonable person expect more players in the market. I guarantee you SACAA are not handing out BVLOS training licenses as early xmas presents .
Chris with all respect, based on your responses I cannot respond to you any further .
No problem
I understand where you are coming from -- toe the line , keep your head down , yes sir , no sir , three bags full SIR !

My point is
How much of the progress of science has been due to "mavericks" who have worked out stuff on their own OUTSIDE the constraints of state imposed / rules / laws / sanction / and ridicule by the entrenched social and academic "experts"

My whole point about the "desert" is as a place where one can "tinker" / "experiment" without in ANY way disturbing or being a danger to ANYONE else !
YOUR reply seemed to suggest that this way of thinking was to YOU --anathema

Fortunately the Americans ( although it is fading now ) and once upon a time the British understood this !
User avatar
zander
Engine full power confirmed
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:33 pm
Closest Airfield: fala
Location: Honeydew
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: FPV & BVLOS

Unread post by zander » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:49 am

KZNChris wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:03 pm
Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:55 pm
Where did you read that , it may be old news. There are two ATO's licensed to train on BVLOS platforms.
BVLOS in SA is in its first few months so give it some time, we will have some more players involved.

But with regards to your further statements, we need less of this in the world. Aviation is not designed for this type of mindset, while I can agree that in some parts the regulations are not reasonable it is extremely important in the context of safety. Please consider that many people may read your comment and come to the conclusion that this is acceptable and the results could be catastrophic.
ONLY TWO ?

What could be catastrophic in flying and crashing a UAV in the middle of a "desert"
It seems to me that when it comes to some people they have a mindset that says -- where is the line for the gas chambers and where do I join it !
=D> =D> :lol:
User avatar
zander
Engine full power confirmed
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:33 pm
Closest Airfield: fala
Location: Honeydew
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: FPV & BVLOS

Unread post by zander » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:51 am

Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 pm
KZNChris wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:03 pm
Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:55 pm
Where did you read that , it may be old news. There are two ATO's licensed to train on BVLOS platforms.
BVLOS in SA is in its first few months so give it some time, we will have some more players involved.

But with regards to your further statements, we need less of this in the world. Aviation is not designed for this type of mindset, while I can agree that in some parts the regulations are not reasonable it is extremely important in the context of safety. Please
consider that many people may read your comment and come to the conclusion that this is acceptable and the results could be catastrophic.
ONLY TWO ?

What could be catastrophic in flying and crashing a UAV in the middle of a "desert"
It seems to me that when it comes to some people they have a mindset that says -- where is the line for the gas chambers and where do I join it !
Have you even any idea what it requires to create a BVLOS training syllabus which includes IR type MET training and Instrument Flight training not to mention the operating systems training. It took a team of 8 staff, 7 months and well over a million rand to create our BVLOS syllabus . Most ATO's don't even have staff let alone the capital required to complete the task. So how could any reasonable person expect more players in the market. I guarantee you SACAA are not handing out BVLOS training licenses as early xmas presents .

Chris with all respect, based on your responses I cannot respond to you any further .
The process as with everything in SA drone related is way too overcomplicated and everyone knows why #-o
User avatar
zander
Engine full power confirmed
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:33 pm
Closest Airfield: fala
Location: Honeydew
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: FPV & BVLOS

Unread post by zander » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 am

KZNChris wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:56 am
!

My point is
How much of the progress of science has been due to "mavericks" who have worked out stuff on their own OUTSIDE the constraints of state imposed / rules / laws / sanction / and ridicule by the entrenched social and academic "experts"
=D>

Return to “Drones, UAVs”