DJI Mavic Air - Which IPad Mini To Use

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

MaverickABH007
Engine full power confirmed
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

DJI Mavic Air - Which IPad Mini To Use

Unread post by MaverickABH007 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:12 am

Can anyone suggest which IPad Mini (and specs?) I should use with my Mavic Air. :shock:

There seem to be conflicting suggestions between the IPad Mini 4 and IPad Mini 2? And then would I need an IPad that takes a SIM card (i.e. cellular) as well as WiFi? :smt101

Specifications for the IPad? :smt120

Any input or suggestions based on experience would be most appreciated. :smt026
181byz
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: FALA

Re: DJI Mavic Air - Which IPad Mini To Use

Unread post by 181byz » Mon May 06, 2019 9:26 am

Hi from my own personal experience:

The iPad mini 2 will work but the processing capability is slow due to the older chipset and the advancement in DJI GO4 app. The screen is also not as clear but that is not a major factor as you don't get a livestream in full 1080p anyways.

If you elect the wifi only model there is no built in GPS. This will require a phone hotspot or some other wifi connection to locate the iPad's position, this doesnt affect the drone if you are taking off and landing from a stationery position. If however you are moving on a boat, car or bike then it will be an issue as you cannot have a dynamic home point without a controller homepoint that updates every few seconds.

I would suggest an iPad 4 wifi & cellular in whatever capacity you can afford, this will work perfectly and serve you well for a number of years!

Cheers,
Byron
MaverickABH007
Engine full power confirmed

Re: DJI Mavic Air - Which IPad Mini To Use

Unread post by MaverickABH007 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:29 am

Hi Byron

Many thanks for the info as per your post - much appreciated. =D>

Regards

Return to “Drones, UAVs”