SA Blood Service to employ drones

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

MGR
Rolling
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 19 times

SA Blood Service to employ drones

Unread post by MGR » Thu May 30, 2019 11:23 am

https://businesstech.co.za/news/technol ... ery-drone/

Anybody perhaps know how these drones will be broadcasting their positions on 124.80...? Or how else will us mere mortals know how to avoid flying into them without TCAS...?
These users liked the author MGR for the post:
_juju_
ZU-MGR :D
_juju_
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Phisantekraal
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: SA Blood Service to employ drones

Unread post by _juju_ » Thu May 30, 2019 3:50 pm

I don't know about your query, but have a few comments myself...
The Tron drone can either be controlled by a pilot or fly autonomously.
So this is VLOS, BVLOS and Autonomous? Hmmm...
Before it takes off, it conducts a series of security checks to ensure that it is ready to fly. Once these checks have been done, the drone will take off.
Ho-humm, pretty much every DJI drone does that and most (if not all) other mainstream consumer grade drones, not sure about home built units and the software that control them though.
Crucially, the Tron is designed to fly at a height that will not interfere with aeroplane traffic.
IIRC airspace is airspace according to CAA, has there been a relaxation in the definition of airspace and what drones may operate in before it becomes a hazard to other aircraft?
The drone also relays HD-quality video to the control centre, ensuring that its flight path and trajectory can be monitored at all times.
Most modern mainstream consumer grade drones do that, certainly the midrange to higher end ones anyway. So is this then a safety feature, even if it is flying autonomously?
skytrooper
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by skytrooper » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:44 am

Who is his operator ?
Ubluwulululululu....!
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by SlowApproach » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:18 pm

A noble pursuit but unfortunately it sounds like someone's foreign, vendor-driven wet dream.

Autonomous flight is specifically excluded from the current regulations thus making it illegal, period. Similarly, non-military BVLOS (Beyond Visual Line-Of-Sight) flight in SA is but a pipe-dream until some sort of basically foolproof TCAS becomes commonplace and a proven reality for unmanned aircraft. So considering what they want (and need) to do, how on earth will they "get" the necessary licensing? And in what/whose timeframe, considering how long it's taking those with way, way less ambitious plans to get their approvals - if ever?

But let's dream for one moment that civilian BVLOS through remote piloting by humans sitting in a chair somewhere was a possibility. I find it disconcerting that absolutely no mention is made of the pretty sophisticated "command and control" centre needed for such flights. (In my mind, one would start with- and make noise about this part FIRST, because there's an immense amount of technical stuff, planning and logistics involved in it. Way more than most inexperienced and non-technical people could imagine. The flying platform itself is the least of one's worries).

Also, just the testing itself presents a massive minefield of issues to address and resolve, as they have to be conducted in safe but realistic environments - note the plural - in order to assure authorities - including but not limited to the CAA - that whatever results are obtained in the test sites can be safely and predictably applied to real flying environments. However, no such proper testing sites and environments even exist in SA. (Say what you want, but an RC model flying site is NOT a realistic environment to test BVLOS in/on)
Last edited by SlowApproach on Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
skytrooper
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by skytrooper » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:02 pm

Well.... Zipline is doing it, have flown a million kilometres to date with unprecedented success.

They are now busy expanding into the US so not just in Africa.

With the SA regulations though i must agree with you for the moment, or would it be indefinitely... my question again, under who's ROC will they be operating, no mention of this as they the ROC would likely get into big trouble (or does palm greasing get you anywhere ?)

It seems like SANBS is making headlines, doing exceptionally well already:
https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa ... sanbs-dry/
Ubluwulululululu....!
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SlowApproach » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:10 pm

When it comes to Zipline, Africa is not South Africa, remember. (What they and others can get (and have gotten) away with in other parts of Africa won't work locally. Our omnipotent CAA can and will see to that) :wink:
skytrooper
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by skytrooper » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:10 pm

I know... but like i said they are expanding in the US, slowly will be integrated within more busy areas, its happening right now as i type, google also has gotten approval for their delivery services...

It's starting to expand moving towards major cities....
Thats the good of living in first world countries, they are actually intelligent and matured.

However yes In Sa its a different story, i think someday it would be made illegal just to stare at your own drone for too long... perhaps you would need to buy a token to look at it for a certain amount of time yes ?
Ubluwulululululu....!
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Has liked: 39 times

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:01 pm

SlowApproach wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:18 pm
A noble pursuit but unfortunately it sounds like someone's foreign, vendor-driven wet dream.

Autonomous flight is specifically excluded from the current regulations thus making it illegal, period. Similarly, non-military BVLOS (Beyond Visual Line-Of-Sight) flight in SA is but a pipe-dream until some sort of basically foolproof TCAS becomes commonplace and a proven reality for unmanned aircraft. So considering what they want (and need) to do, how on earth will they "get" the necessary licensing? And in what/whose timeframe, considering how long it's taking those with way, way less ambitious plans to get their approvals - if ever?

But let's dream for one moment that civilian BVLOS through remote piloting by humans sitting in a chair somewhere was a possibility. I find it disconcerting that absolutely no mention is made of the pretty sophisticated "command and control" centre needed for such flights. (In my mind, one would start with- and make noise about this part FIRST, because there's an immense amount of technical stuff, planning and logistics involved in it. Way more than most inexperienced and non-technical people could imagine. The flying platform itself is the least of one's worries).

Also, just the testing itself presents a massive minefield of issues to address and resolve, as they have to be conducted in safe but realistic environments - note the plural - in order to assure authorities - including but not limited to the CAA - that whatever results are obtained in the test sites can be safely and predictably applied to real flying environments. However, no such proper testing sites and environments even exist in SA. (Say what you want, but an RC model flying site is NOT a realistic environment to test BVLOS in/on)
Jho....was this copied and pasted from somewhere...

Have you ever had any involvement in military type BVLOS ops or testing or civilian type BVLOS ops or testing ?
Trevor
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clipped Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
If flying slow isn't fun, you're doing it wrong
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SlowApproach » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:49 am

mrdp, since there are currently only two commercial companies in the whole of SA that are "BVLOS-accredited", kindly point out where in SA (and by whom) BVLOS is actively being utilised beyond the relatively controlled environments of mines and mining operations...
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:08 pm

SlowApproach wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:49 am
mrdp, since there are currently only two commercial companies in the whole of SA that are "BVLOS-accredited", kindly point out where in SA (and by whom) BVLOS is actively being utilised beyond the relatively controlled environments of mines and mining operations...
I'm still waiting on an answer with regards to the credibility of your previous comments

I don't have 100% knowledge of ALL of the BVLOS ops happening and by whom thought SA I only know what I am exposed to so won't be able to answer your question. But what is the relevance of such a question anyways.

There are operators who will have BVLOS endorsed on their ops spec within the next few days/weeks having only required some training certificates to complete some CAP's

In your previous comment you said there are no BVLOS testing areas in SA and that is absolutely not the case. There is an airfield in the Western Cape within a FAR and 5min flight to enter the CTR from which there has been more BVLOS test flights than manned flights in the last 10 months. There are 2 other options in the Western Cape with one of them being almost identical in orientation. One that I know of in the Northern Cape and another North of PTA.

Also TCAS is not a requirement and ADSB is not mandatory.
Trevor
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SlowApproach » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:51 pm

Not into dick-waving so you're on your own.
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:50 pm

SlowApproach wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:51 pm
Not into dick-waving so you're on your own.
No problem, and no disrespect intended just when some details are put forward as fact when all they are is opinion it murky's the water. All sorts of industry representatives read details here.
Trevor
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR

Return to “Drones, UAVs”