Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

WarrenGardiner
Flight Planning
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 am
Closest Airfield: Rustenburg
Location: Rustenburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by WarrenGardiner » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:36 pm

New here but I am working on the Private Drone Association of South Africa website https://drones.org.za and I need a proper database or machine readable version of restricted airspace regarding drones. I have the CAA enroute PDF but parsing it into a machine readable format is very tedious.

Can anyone direct me toward a online database, excel, CSV or similar document that I can use for this purpose?
User avatar
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Location: Home
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:45 pm

WarrenGardiner wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:36 pm
New here but I am working on the Private Drone Association of South Africa website https://drones.org.za and I need a proper database or machine readable version of restricted airspace regarding drones. I have the CAA enroute PDF but parsing it into a machine readable format is very tedious.

Can anyone direct me toward a online database, excel, CSV or similar document that I can use for this purpose?
If not already installed on your PC then install Google earth pro. Then go onto the ATNS website and search for the KMZ file for RSA airspace. Download that file and it will overlay on Google earth pro and give you all the information you need to know. In addition you can select/do select certain layers.
Trevor
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clipped Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
If flying slow isn't fun, you're doing it wrong
WarrenGardiner
Flight Planning
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 am
Closest Airfield: Rustenburg
Location: Rustenburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by WarrenGardiner » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:45 pm
WarrenGardiner wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:36 pm
New here but I am working on the Private Drone Association of South Africa website https://drones.org.za and I need a proper database or machine readable version of restricted airspace regarding drones. I have the CAA enroute PDF but parsing it into a machine readable format is very tedious.

Can anyone direct me toward a online database, excel, CSV or similar document that I can use for this purpose?
If not already installed on your PC then install Google earth pro. Then go onto the ATNS website and search for the KMZ file for RSA airspace. Download that file and it will overlay on Google earth pro and give you all the information you need to know. In addition you can select/do select certain layers.
Kmz file unfortunately contains no paragliding clubs samaa clubs etc
User avatar
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Location: Home
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:00 pm

WarrenGardiner wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:05 pm
Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:45 pm
WarrenGardiner wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:36 pm
New here but I am working on the Private Drone Association of South Africa website https://drones.org.za and I need a proper database or machine readable version of restricted airspace regarding drones. I have the CAA enroute PDF but parsing it into a machine readable format is very tedious.

Can anyone direct me toward a online database, excel, CSV or similar document that I can use for this purpose?
If not already installed on your PC then install Google earth pro. Then go onto the ATNS website and search for the KMZ file for RSA airspace. Download that file and it will overlay on Google earth pro and give you all the information you need to know. In addition you can select/do select certain layers.
Kmz file unfortunately contains no paragliding clubs samaa clubs etc
For that you can use the AIP's they are listed there.
Trevor
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clipped Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
If flying slow isn't fun, you're doing it wrong
WarrenGardiner
Flight Planning
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 am
Closest Airfield: Rustenburg
Location: Rustenburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by WarrenGardiner » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:00 pm
WarrenGardiner wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:05 pm
Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:45 pm


If not already installed on your PC then install Google earth pro. Then go onto the ATNS website and search for the KMZ file for RSA airspace. Download that file and it will overlay on Google earth pro and give you all the information you need to know. In addition you can select/do select certain layers.
Kmz file unfortunately contains no paragliding clubs samaa clubs etc
For that you can use the AIP's they are listed there.
Don't see them anywhere on there.
This is why I am looking for the information in the first place, everyone using faulty info under the assumption its correct and getting passed along as correct.

Absolutely no offense to anyone intended, looks like I will have to go and pester ATNS properly for this info.
User avatar
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5445
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 97 times

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by heisan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:54 pm

You can get the protected areas lists here (all flights, including drones are restricted over Special Nature Reserves, National Parks and World Heritage Sites):

https://mapservice.environment.gov.za/p ... ports.aspx

You can get a fair list of aerodromes by clicking on 'Airporfolio' under the Avcom banner above, and select the CSV export.

For the airspaces, the Google Earth file provided by ATNS is just XML, and can be easily parsed by a variety of online tools to extract airspaces and aerodromes.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
User avatar
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Location: Home
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:17 pm

WarrenGardiner wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:17 pm
Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:00 pm
WarrenGardiner wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Kmz file unfortunately contains no paragliding clubs samaa clubs etc
For that you can use the AIP's they are listed there.
Don't see them anywhere on there.
This is why I am looking for the information in the first place, everyone using faulty info under the assumption its correct and getting passed along as correct.

Absolutely no offense to anyone intended, looks like I will have to go and pester ATNS properly for this info.
I have left the office already. Will show you in the morning exactly where in the AIP's every single location is listed with its ceiling heights.
Trevor
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clipped Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
If flying slow isn't fun, you're doing it wrong
WarrenGardiner
Flight Planning
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 am
Closest Airfield: Rustenburg
Location: Rustenburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by WarrenGardiner » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:19 pm

heisan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:54 pm
You can get the protected areas lists here (all flights, including drones are restricted over Special Nature Reserves, National Parks and World Heritage Sites):

https://mapservice.environment.gov.za/p ... ports.aspx

You can get a fair list of aerodromes by clicking on 'Airporfolio' under the Avcom banner above, and select the CSV export.

For the airspaces, the Google Earth file provided by ATNS is just XML, and can be easily parsed by a variety of online tools to extract airspaces and aerodromes.
Thanks, much appreciated!
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Posts: 8783
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:49 pm
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Location: JHB INTL/Kpt Park/Rand Apt
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 100 times

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:12 pm

This lnk has been doing the rounds on FB

just click on the link

No drone zones South Africa - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 8iRVNU&usp
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
User avatar
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Location: Home
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:43 am

WarrenGardiner wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:17 pm
Multirotordronepilot wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:00 pm
WarrenGardiner wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Kmz file unfortunately contains no paragliding clubs samaa clubs etc
For that you can use the AIP's they are listed there.
Don't see them anywhere on there.
This is why I am looking for the information in the first place, everyone using faulty info under the assumption its correct and getting passed along as correct.

Absolutely no offense to anyone intended, looks like I will have to go and pester ATNS properly for this info.
Here you go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trevor
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clipped Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
If flying slow isn't fun, you're doing it wrong
User avatar
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Location: Home
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:44 am

Additional
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trevor
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clipped Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
If flying slow isn't fun, you're doing it wrong
User avatar
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Location: Home
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 am

Apologies for the offset images, I did align them correctly before attaching but for some reason technology kicked me in the balls again,,,,,, it happens very often.
Trevor
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clipped Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
If flying slow isn't fun, you're doing it wrong
User avatar
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5445
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 97 times

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by heisan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:19 am

Can get those in electronic format here:
http://www.caa.co.za/Aeronautical%20Inf ... nroute.PDF (Page 532)
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
WarrenGardiner
Flight Planning
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 am
Closest Airfield: Rustenburg
Location: Rustenburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by WarrenGardiner » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:39 am

Thanks for all the effort guys. I have the enroute document and that has all the info I need, same as in the photos. I would really have preferred not to have to parse a PDF into a database, its a really tedious job, a simple excel file would be seriously appreciated, but if that's all that's available then that's what I will do.

I don't suppose there is a similar list of private airfields and helipads listed somewhere, I think they should be on a map too. The only ones in enroute are the official public ones.
User avatar
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5445
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 97 times

Re: Database of restricted airspace for drones

Unread post by heisan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:01 am

WarrenGardiner wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:39 am
Thanks for all the effort guys. I have the enroute document and that has all the info I need, same as in the photos. I would really have preferred not to have to parse a PDF into a database, its a really tedious job, a simple excel file would be seriously appreciated, but if that's all that's available then that's what I will do.

I don't suppose there is a similar list of private airfields and helipads listed somewhere, I think they should be on a map too. The only ones in enroute are the official public ones.
The most complete list of private airfields is owned by Aviation Direct. They do license it in electronic format, but the costs will probably be prohibitive.

Other than that, the Avcom Airporfolio is a reasonable source, and the CAA voluntary registration database (http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/Airports/Vol ... ister.aspx) are the best open sources.

CAA Aerodrome registration is now compulsory, and all airfields should be registered by 21 October 2019 - so the CAA database should be pretty much authoritative at that point.

CTRs, ATAs, FARs and FAPs are available in open electronic formats from openflightmaps.org .
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)

Return to “Drones, UAVs”