Class 3 Medical now required for drone pilots

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

pardus
Aircraft in Hangar
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Class 3 Medical now required for drone pilots

Unread post by pardus » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:29 pm

Can anyone explain why a drone pilot (RPL) now requires a class 3 medical including Stress ECG and lung function test and no longer a class 4?
A drone pilot's feet never leave the ground... why on earth a lung function test?
These users liked the author pardus for the post:
nicofly
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Class 3 Medical now required for drone pilots

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:49 pm

pardus wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:29 pm
Can anyone explain why a drone pilot (RPL) now requires a class 3 medical including Stress ECG and lung function test and no longer a class 4?
A drone pilot's feet never leave the ground... why on earth a lung function test?
Its been that way since 1 May. Its to align with ICAO requirements for Annex 20 .There have been a few changes for this reason, mostly part 141 changes.

A class 4 medical is for recreational licenses only so its completely reasonable that they changed the regulations. But actually the CAR's still show the old requirements last time I looked which was post official comms about the change.

For a class 3 or 4 the requirements are pretty much identical , you just need to be slightly fitter than Stephen Hawking and you have it.

There are many candidates who had to complete an ECG test and every single class 4 medical has always included a lung function test.

Now that I answered your question maybe you can help me with mine as I have no clue.

Why is it that drone pilots moan so much about the smallest trivial details ?

Rather be happy and enjoy life more :D
Trevor
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clipped Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
If flying slow isn't fun, you're doing it wrong
pardus
Aircraft in Hangar
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Class 3 Medical now required for drone pilots

Unread post by pardus » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:57 pm

Well, while we're asking all these unknown questions here's another one, why do some people immediately class a question as a moan? And then don't give a logical answer to the original question :D <smiley-face> Very weird!

Very weird too the requirements and licensing for drone pilots which is all based and derived from manned aviation for which the only similarity really is the air used and that a machine is used. Now... listen carefully, that is a moan!

Interesting statistics:
2010 to 2018 - Aviation fatalities = 3962 deaths
2010 to 2018 - Non-Military Drone fatalities = 0 deaths
These users liked the author pardus for the post (total 2):
nicoflybuks van niekerk

Return to “Drones, UAVs”