Drone surveillance for local community

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul Veldhoen
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Drone surveillance for local community

Unread post by Paul Veldhoen » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:58 pm

Good day. I am new to this forum and like to explore the possibilities of setting up drone surveillance in my local community. I am a licensed drone pilot with RPL issued by SACAA and I am aware of the legal boundaries of drone usages in SA. Due to recent increased crime in our usually peaceful country side area we have been exploring drone applications to enhance safety without compromising our members invasion of privacy.
Can anybody assist me?
Many thanks
Paul
My passion for the gracious seas have expended to the beauty of the unlimited skies 😁
_juju_
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: Phisantekraal
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Drone surveillance for local community

Unread post by _juju_ » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:26 pm

I'd hate to be the pessimist, as I'm sure it is well meant and needed (have had this mentioned on our local neighbourhood WhatsApp group as well). You'd probably find VLOS a problem, so you'll need a BVLOS licence. Then there's the big one, R O C. Of course there would be other things like battery life, etc. And who'll all be flying, only you? What about the equipment, who's paying for maintenance, etc.? Assuming you're only flying in day time, but of course there will probably be a greater need at night, another hurdle and further licence.

However, I'd like to see you succeed, so I'll be keeping a keen eye here.
Paul Veldhoen
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Paul Veldhoen » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Hi, thank for your comments. For sure B-VLOS would be my approach. Pré Covid 19 mayhem I had planned that for end May.... Next step ROC, indeed but not impossible as I see over the last 2 years quite a few dozen registered companies have been created. For sure I was not intending flying 24/7 "warzone" style, more for routine short surveillance trips and call outs once a break-in is reported (physically or detected by CCTV) or suspects reported. Of course I would need at least one more partner pilot. Battery technology is constantly improving but indeed limited. These challenges are surely overcome by e.g traffic law enforcement UAV usage. Night time indeed another license step up but again able to obtain.
Costs would be a big factor, especially in present economic woes. As I sense now in my local community with various people anti drone minded that this project will be limited to my own immediate property with possible on demand request when required. Indeed a challenging project, but I am still enthousiastic and hope to engage other potential (business) partners.

Thanks.
My passion for the gracious seas have expended to the beauty of the unlimited skies 😁
Shepherd
Radio Call
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Shepherd » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:26 am

Paul Veldhoen wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:27 pm
Hi, thank for your comments. For sure B-VLOS would be my approach. Pré Covid 19 mayhem I had planned that for end May.... Next step ROC, indeed but not impossible as I see over the last 2 years quite a few dozen registered companies have been created. For sure I was not intending flying 24/7 "warzone" style, more for routine short surveillance trips and call outs once a break-in is reported (physically or detected by CCTV) or suspects reported. Of course I would need at least one more partner pilot. Battery technology is constantly improving but indeed limited. These challenges are surely overcome by e.g traffic law enforcement UAV usage. Night time indeed another license step up but again able to obtain.
Costs would be a big factor, especially in present economic woes. As I sense now in my local community with various people anti drone minded that this project will be limited to my own immediate property with possible on demand request when required. Indeed a challenging project, but I am still enthousiastic and hope to engage other potential (business) partners.

Thanks.
Barring all the licenses and ratings you have mentioned...

I looked into this a few years ago and one of the simplest and reliable platforms out there is the Mavic Pro Enterprise with Flir. For what you are wanting to do you can have 30 min flights and have initially 3 flights with the Flymore Combo and of course buy more batts as needed for flight readiness.
What I find a huge plus is the ADS-B built in... I just feel this is future proof and hope this tech helps in a way to make drones more commercially viable through management and approval of ops because of better visibility and trackability.

The Flymore Combo Drone is +/-60k... You could have two for redundancy and still pay this solution off in 2/3 years and have a nice little business out of it. Again assuming all regs and licenses are in place.

Also keeping a keen eye on the topic, wishing you all the best!
- Favorite A/C Bell 412

Return to “Drones, UAVs”