CAMit Factory closes doors

CAMit is best known for the manufacture, assembly and testing of 4- & 6-cylinder, air-cooled, 4-stroke aircraft engines.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Posts: 6592
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: Gaborone, Botswana
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by ZuluBen » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:12 am

Eish...

Sad day for aviation to see this:

CAMit Engines
Postby BigglesSA » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:21 pm
I really feel for all the folks with their "unsupported" engines. Let us hope some plan or other is in place.

Aviation manufacturer closure a sign of the times, industry insider says http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-1 ... es/7918952
Regards
Francois Gouws
User avatar
checkride
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:36 pm
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Location: Morning Star
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by checkride » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:01 am

BUNDABERG aircraft engine manufacturers CAMit has closed its doors leaving customers from around Australia seeking answers.

CAMIT is the largest factory of its kind in the region operating since 1986.

The company builds and tests 4, 6 and 8 cylinder, air cooled, 4 stroke aircraft engines. They manufacture all of the major engine components and fully assemble them.

The factory has produced up to 90 engines per month.

The NewsMail got confirmation this morning when staff at the Charlie Triggs depot said the rumours were true and the business was now closed.

"It has (closed) unfortunately and it's very sad," the staff member said as she asked the NewsMail to leave the premises.

Only two months ago CAMit posted an update to its website quashing the rumours of earlier closure.
User avatar
checkride
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:36 pm
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Location: Morning Star
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by checkride » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:03 am

So how does this effect Jabiru ?
User avatar
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 am
Closest Airfield: FASD
Location: Port Owen - Western Cape
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by Induna » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:54 am

checkride wrote:So how does this effect Jabiru ?
If I am not mistaken, Camit built the engines for Jabiru as well... So if they closed down, then Jabiru needs to get someone else who will build their engines and engine parts.

Jacques
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZU-xxx | VANS RV-8 in the making...
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
User avatar
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4858
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by Fransw » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:53 pm

Induna wrote:
checkride wrote:So how does this effect Jabiru ?
If I am not mistaken, Camit built the engines for Jabiru as well... So if they closed down, then Jabiru needs to get someone else who will build their engines and engine parts.

Jacques
They can use the Rotax engine, it would still be an affordable aircraft!...
User avatar
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 83 times

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by heisan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:03 pm

Fransw wrote:They can use the Rotax engine, it would still be an affordable aircraft!...
That would add ~50% to the list price of a J4xx aircraft! Well, at least it will still be half the price of a Sling ;) .
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
User avatar
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 am
Closest Airfield: FASD
Location: Port Owen - Western Cape
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by Induna » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:52 pm

Fransw wrote:
Induna wrote:
checkride wrote:So how does this effect Jabiru ?
If I am not mistaken, Camit built the engines for Jabiru as well... So if they closed down, then Jabiru needs to get someone else who will build their engines and engine parts.

Jacques
They can use the Rotax engine, it would still be an affordable aircraft!...
hi,

I like the Jabi aircraft, but not the engines. I think a Rotax 100HP would make it a superb aircraft... Have a look at the website that Rainier posted about the Jabi with a Rotax engine. Performance looks great! But that's my opinion.

With all the drama in the past with the jabi engines, Camit closing down and issues with some authorities, I think Jabi should just use Rotax engines, re-do the certification and we all live (fly) happily ever after...

Jacques
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZU-xxx | VANS RV-8 in the making...
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
User avatar
JvTonder
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:53 pm
Closest Airfield: RhinoPark
Location: Bronkhorstspruit, RhinoPark
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by JvTonder » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:02 pm

Induna wrote:
Fransw wrote:
Induna wrote:
If I am not mistaken, Camit built the engines for Jabiru as well... So if they closed down, then Jabiru needs to get someone else who will build their engines and engine parts.

Jacques
They can use the Rotax engine, it would still be an affordable aircraft!...
hi,

I like the Jabi aircraft, but not the engines. I think a Rotax 100HP would make it a superb aircraft... Have a look at the website that Rainier posted about the Jabi with a Rotax engine. Performance looks great! But that's my opinion.

With all the drama in the past with the jabi engines, Camit closing down and issues with some authorities, I think Jabi should just use Rotax engines, re-do the certification and we all live (fly) happily ever after...

Jacques
Jacques,

Jy het duidelik nog nooit 'n Rotax motor oor gedoen nie ne? Hulle pryse is blerrie belaglik! Hoop regtig daar is eendag 'n goeie plaasvervanger vir die Rattex.

Groetnis.
Flying feeds the soul!
User avatar
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 am
Closest Airfield: FASD
Location: Port Owen - Western Cape
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by Induna » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:05 pm

JvTonder wrote:
Induna wrote:
Jacques,

Jy het duidelik nog nooit 'n Rotax motor oor gedoen nie ne? Hulle pryse is blerrie belaglik! Hoop regtig daar is eendag 'n goeie plaasvervanger vir die Rattex.

Groetnis.
Jip ek verstaan parte is duur, maar ek voel baie veilig agter my Rotax.

Die ander opsie natuurlik is die UL Power enjin... Verskillend opsies (108hp, 135hp, ens)

Dit blyk ook asof daar nou baie UL Power enjins in serkulasie is, so ek dink dit kan n opsie vir Jabiru wees...

J
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZU-xxx | VANS RV-8 in the making...
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
User avatar
JvTonder
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:53 pm
Closest Airfield: RhinoPark
Location: Bronkhorstspruit, RhinoPark
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by JvTonder » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:08 pm

Induna wrote:
JvTonder wrote:
Induna wrote:
Jacques,

Jy het duidelik nog nooit 'n Rotax motor oor gedoen nie ne? Hulle pryse is blerrie belaglik! Hoop regtig daar is eendag 'n goeie plaasvervanger vir die Rattex.

Groetnis.
Jip ek verstaan parte is duur, maar ek voel baie veilig agter my Rotax.

Die ander opsie natuurlik is die UL Power enjin... Verskillend opsies (108hp, 135hp, ens)

Dit blyk ook asof daar nou baie UL Power enjins in serkulasie is, so ek dink dit kan n opsie vir Jabiru wees...

J
Stem saam ja as die Rattex mooi reg is loop hy soos 'n horlosie en is redelik betroubaar, was ook gelukkig met myne tot ek hom moes oordoen!

Dink ook die UL is 'n goeie ander opsie maar ook maar 'n paar rand vir hom, hopelik sal die UL se TBO ook verhoog word na 2000 uur toe soos hulle meer ure op sit.

J
Flying feeds the soul!
User avatar
checkride
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:36 pm
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Location: Morning Star
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by checkride » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:59 pm

I don't think we need to jump to conclusions, let wait and see what announcements are made by STIFF and the boys. I am sure Jabiru will have a plan up there sleeves. Don't think for one minute that they are going to abandon their clients.

One thing I would not do is put a Rotax into our Jab. I'm going the other way Jabiru engine into our Sling 4
User avatar
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 am
Closest Airfield: FASD
Location: Port Owen - Western Cape
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by Induna » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:08 pm

checkride wrote:I don't think we need to jump to conclusions, let wait and see what announcements are made by STIFF and the boys. I am sure Jabiru will have a plan up there sleeves. Don't think for one minute that they are going to abandon their clients.

One thing I would not do is put a Rotax into our Jab. I'm going the other way Jabiru engine into our Sling 4
Its your choice what you want to do, but keep in mind without Camit there will be no Jabi engine parts... Or at least until they find another machine shop to manufacture their engines and parts...

I don't care what the critics say about Rotex, but they have a proven record for reliable engines. Yes expensive, but damn reliable. The Jab engine cannot say the same about its reliability...

Again, that's my opinion.

Jacques
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZU-xxx | VANS RV-8 in the making...
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
User avatar
checkride
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:36 pm
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Location: Morning Star
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by checkride » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:44 am

Yip that's your opinion . Rather keep it to yourself than bash a product. You don't fly Jabiru right ?
User avatar
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 am
Closest Airfield: FASD
Location: Port Owen - Western Cape
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by Induna » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:25 pm

checkride wrote:Yip that's your opinion . Rather keep it to yourself than bash a product. You don't fly Jabiru right ?
Don't get your knickers in a knot... The reason I say it is my opinion, is just that. Everyone is free to make their own decisions.

Bottom line is, Rotax is, and have been much more reliable than Jabi engines. If you are so naive to not see the point then so be it...

J
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZU-xxx | VANS RV-8 in the making...
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
User avatar
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4858
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: CAMit Factory closes doors

Unread post by Fransw » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:44 pm

The 80hp Rotax and Jab 2200 are both more or less $15 000.

The Jab twin with 2 Rotax upfront will be a winner! 8) ....

Return to “CAMit Aero Engines”