VALUABLE TIPS

All the information about and feedback on, Search & Rescue in South Africa.

Moderator: Moderators

Heksie
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

VALUABLE TIPS

Unread post by Heksie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:48 pm

SOME VALUABLE TIPS

1: Tell someone where you are really going.

2: File a reachable contact number – specially after hours.

3: Make sure the aircraft register is a true reflection of the colors and markings of your aircraft.

4: Make sure important modifications to your aircraft is known.

5: If you find yourself in a place with no cellular phone coverage and you cannot cancel SAR. Find anyone with a landline.

6: Give your family or loved ones a basic SAR briefing. They should know who to contact when in doubt!!! Give them my number!!!!

7: If you find yourself in trouble, talk to ATC, any ATC!!!

8: Amend your flight plan details if necessary.

9: Stay within your own abilities and that of your aircraft.

10: Do not attempt unplanned maneuvers.

11: Practice new maneuvers with an instructor.

11: Stay out of bad weather!

12: Use your transponder!

13: Stay current!!!!

14: Report technical difficulties!

15: Practice IMSAFE - I-Illness M-Medicine S-Stress A- Alcohol F-Fatigue E-Eating

15: ARE YOU MENTALLY/EMOTIONALLY FIT TO FLY!!!!!

16: If you use a computer/laptop for your planning - leave your login and password with someone you trust.

17: Activate your "Find my Iphone/pad" and make sure someone you trust has your login and password.

18: If you fly with a PLB and you experience difficulties, trigger the beacon before you hit the ground.
Not even Witches fly in bad weather!!
Jayson v Schalkwyk
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Himeville

Re: VALUABLE TIPS

Unread post by Jayson v Schalkwyk » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi Heksie,

Firstly, thank YOU and the rest of your team for always having our backs so to speak. It's normally "our own" faults that you end up being called upon.

I have a question... I have seen a growing number of guys using Spot or tracking software to show their flights and keeping friends and family informed of their travels. Spot has the ability of sending messages directly to the GEOS SAR offices via satellite. How would this be interwar tend to our SA SAR services?

Spot can also be configured with preset messages and contacts. Would it be better for those using spot or similar devices to have your SAR team listed as a contact to add in getting faster?

Any feedback appreciated.
Jayson van Schalkwyk

A pilot's professionalism is judged by how he flies when nobody is looking
Heksie
Hee Hee I'm Flying

Unread post by Heksie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi Jayson,

I am currently in contact with the GEOS SAR people regarding a formal letter of procedure with the DOT which will naturally be rolled out to others as well.

Currently I advise guys using Spot or any other tracking devices to advise their families or whomever the SOS goes to to inform me immediately although I assisted GEOS SAR with all our ARCC details in case of an SOS.

So for now please give my number to whomever is tracking you and if they are concerned tell them to phone me immediately.

Take care
Not even Witches fly in bad weather!!
Jayson v Schalkwyk
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Himeville

Unread post by Jayson v Schalkwyk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi Heksie,

Its great to know that there is more value being added by your team to those guys using Spot or other branded trackers. Great suggestion to give those who are tracking us your number so should there be a problem they can get in touch faster. We all know that the most vital time in any rescue is those first few hours and being able to be located!!

Placing my order for Spot...

Thank you again for all that you do for the GA flying community.
Jayson van Schalkwyk

A pilot's professionalism is judged by how he flies when nobody is looking

Return to “Santjie White’s Broom Closet.”