2017 Jabi Tour

Our informal clubhouse for Jabiru Enthusiasts.

Moderator: Moderators

antonvalks
Incipient Spin
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

2017 Jabi Tour

Unread post by antonvalks » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Guys, guys, guys, my wife is filling up my diary with all sorts of activities and soon I will have no space available for a Jabi tour in 2017. :oops: Some time ago Zuluben allures to a tour to Madagascar. =D> Any update or other ideas for a 2017 Jabi tour. Come guys, ESS is rusting up at the coast. I need to get her away for a while. :twisted:
Ensure you give yourself enough time to enjoy the fruits of your labor...retire early!!!
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: 2017 Jabi Tour

Unread post by ZuluBen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Aha! was wondering who was going to take the bait...!! :D :lol:

He who makes the first post organise and lead the tour ... 8-[ :roll: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Well done Anton, so where are we going?
antonvalks
Incipient Spin

Unread post by antonvalks » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 pm

ZuluBen wrote:Aha! was wondering who was going to take the bait...!! :D :lol:

He who makes the first post organise and lead the tour ... 8-[ :roll: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Well done Anton, so where are we going?
It's Madagascar!!!!

OK, I took the bait. Always were jealous of the Sling guys who beat us to Madagascar. But, having said that, we could learn from their experience. Before I waste my time and yours, here is a blog Dave McNaught kept of the Sling tour http://doeaglesdare.blogspot.com/search ... our%202015
You can also read more on the Avcom Destinations page http://avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... madagascar

So now I need a very quick reaction from everyone who would be interested in a similar tour. I do not have any cost estimates, that will follow later. I also do not have a date yet but am looking at somewhere in July unless you can come up with another date that would be more suited. Now I need names of people who would be eager to join. Please spread the word to all the Jabbi pilots.
Ensure you give yourself enough time to enjoy the fruits of your labor...retire early!!!
antonvalks
Incipient Spin

Unread post by antonvalks » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:19 pm

O.K. I assume the overwhelming reaction is a sure indication no one is interested. :(
To be fair to any late sleepers I will keep the option open until the end of the weekend. Then all bets are off and its back to Ben or whoever wants to stick his neck out to try an organise an alternative.

I see the Sling guys are doing a trip to Lake Malawi =D> Maybe I should trade the Jabbi in on a Sling. :twisted:
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by ZuluBen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:21 pm

Pm send.
And off course we are all going!
Boerkie
Reaching GFA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Boerkie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:43 am

Hierdie is 'n wonderlike inisiatief wat jy aan die dag lê Anton =D> =D> Dit lyk egter vir my nadat ons vriend Abel so tragies verongeluk het, het die Jabi-manne in skok gegaan en heeltemal stil geraak. :( Ons moet egter besef die lewe gaan aan en ek weet Abel sou wou hê ons moet nie ophou om die Jabi-familie te laat groei en na nuwe hoogtes te laat strewe nie. Ek weet ons kan :D :D

Anton, gee vir ons so bietjie meer inligting asb. Een van die groot vrae waarmee ons worstel, is die koste :shock: :shock: Ek kan swem, maar nou nie soo vêr nie. MAAR EK HET VERTROUE DAT DIE JABI KAN VLIEG. [-X [-X As dit enigsins nog haalbaar is, gaan ek saam :!:

Anders, stem ek saam met Anton, IETS moet gereël word :wink: :wink: Word wakker manne, TYD staan nie stil nie =P~ =P~
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by ZuluBen » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:50 pm

Like your Coast to coast idea 8)
andrem
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAPX and FYSM
Has liked: 7 times

Unread post by andrem » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:59 am

Coast to coast, along the coast?
I'm in.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
buffet
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: east london

Unread post by buffet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 am

Depending on when this is planed for, I want to take part in my first Jabi tour :D
chrisni
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: Pietermaritzburg

Unread post by chrisni » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:50 pm

Buffet, I can highly recommend it.

I went on my first Jabi tour with very little experience after just getting my license. I was also concerned that I may not be able to keep up with the bigger Jabs because I flew a smaller 4 cylinder J170.

But I quickly learnt that my concerns were not justified. They are a fantastic group of guys, and girls, with extremely diverse backgrounds and cultures, who you may not normally have the opportunity to mix with, all brought together by our common love for flying.

I was made to feel very welcome to join the tour and I'm sure you will be too.

You will enjoy it. That I can guarantee you.

And you will meet some down to earth really decent people.

Cheers
Chrisni
antonvalks
Incipient Spin

Unread post by antonvalks » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:16 am

:D :D :D Coast-to-coast-along-the-coast :D :D :D

How about something like this?

Day 1. Get together and overnight at Dundi Lodge near Augrabies via Upington for fuel. (Cheaper alternative = Upington)
Day 2. Fly along Orange river to Alexander bay, along the coast, then inland to overnight and refuel in Springbok.
Day 3. Back to the coast and fly to Fisantekraal or Morningstar and refuel. (Maybe via or visit Oom Boerkie's place?) Overnight.
Day 4. Fly past Robben Island, Round Cape point along the South Cape coast to George. Visit factory, refuel and overnight.
Day 5. Along the coast to Wings Park. Refuel and Overnight
Day 6. Along the coast to Durban Virginia.Refuel and Overnight.
Day 7. Return home / alternatively extend tour to fly to Richardsbay for refuel and on to overnight around Hluhluwe and possibly visit a game park.
Day 8. Return home (Do your own private cross country with fuel stops as and when required)

If we ask Jabbanaughts that reside along one of the legs to refine a leg (i.o.w. Plan the details of the leg) we might be able to come up with quite a unique tour. This is quite a relaxing tour (I think) with around 4 hours flying per day. Obviously we can extend some of the legs and do fewer days with more flying or take short cuts to work in some other interesting places to visit.

Pilots can deside to join along the route or break away early and only fly the sections they want or can afford.

The above plan is just a rough outline and can obviously be changed to ensure a "better" tour.

Total flying round trip from Wonderboom will be around 2300 sea miles with 25-30 hours (550-600 liters). At R1000 per couple per night and at R20 per litre, plus R2000 for extras like landing fees, maybe transport to accommodation and security, we look at a rough budget of R22000. Food and drink at the overnight stops are exras, so is any other optional excursions like game drives.

I have not yet considered accommodation, fuel availability or prices or any scenic deviations or excursions. I leave that to the volunteers for each leg who know their areas better than me. I think we want to make it interesting for the women as well.

Now would be the time for pilots to put up their hands and volunteer to organise a leg. It will be required they consider and plan the most scenic route to fly, where to fuel, where to sleep and other logistics like transport, security, etc. Lets see who can plan the best leg. We'll find a sponsor for a trophy or a prize! . =D> =D> =D>

As far as timing is concerned, I propose we consider the July school holiday 14 July to 21/22 July.

And if the response for this tour is the same ad the one I got for the Madagascar tour, I will sell the Jabbi and buy a room in an old age home. :evil:
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 95 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:29 pm

=D> =D> :D :D :smt026 :smt026 :smt041 :smt041 :smt045 :smt045 :smt047 :smt047 I can organise the trip to Dundi. :roll:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
buffet
Take off Clearance

Unread post by buffet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:27 pm

chrisni wrote:Buffet, I can highly recommend it.

I went on my first Jabi tour with very little experience after just getting my license. I was also concerned that I may not be able to keep up with the bigger Jabs because I flew a smaller 4 cylinder J170.

But I quickly learnt that my concerns were not justified. They are a fantastic group of guys, and girls, with extremely diverse backgrounds and cultures, who you may not normally have the opportunity to mix with, all brought together by our common love for flying.

I was made to feel very welcome to join the tour and I'm sure you will be too.

You will enjoy it. That I can guarantee you.

And you will meet some down to earth really decent people.

Cheers
Chrisni
Thank you sir
buffet
Take off Clearance

Unread post by buffet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:56 pm

I will join in along the rout :D
AJW
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FARB
Has liked: 7 times

Unread post by AJW » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Previous trip started at RBay and was the same route, different stops.

East to west, pax next to the coast line. We stayed seawards of the coast line. Weather comes from the front.

West to east, pax with the sea view. Can follow behind a weather system.

Nice stop is Wavecrest Hotel. Has runway and room walking distance.

We stayed at Margate, might be easier with accommodation than Virginia. Will make RBay with ease.

I am in RBay and can advise you on places to stay. Also rental cars for local trips by road.
Be safe
Abrie

Return to “Jabiru Club of South Africa”