SUTHERLAND HOT & HIGH - ALL AIRCRAFT TYPES

Our informal clubhouse for Jabiru Enthusiasts.

Moderator: Moderators

Pepler
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FAFK
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

SUTHERLAND HOT & HIGH - ALL AIRCRAFT TYPES

Unread post by Pepler » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:48 am

Hallo Jabi community,

I have been playing with an idea in my head for a while now that might appeal to some Jabi and Gyro pilots especially from the Western Cape. We very rarely experience hot and high conditions flying at the coast and don't get to test performance and ability in such conditions. We also don't do enough "fly outs". The idea is to have a overnight fly in to Sutherland Airfield ala Afrika Burn style end of January 2018(27th & 28th). Fly In, camp the night and fly out next day. Sutherland is + - 5200 Ft and if the temp in January gets up to 25 or 30 degrees we might see anything from 7000 to 8000 density. The runways (last I heard) was in good condition and 1400m long.
Sure its going to be bumpy midday but its 1,5 to 2 hrs flying from Cape Town early morning in on Saturday and out on Sunday which should be calm enough, and if you would rather like to stay on ground in Sutherland mid day, then have a cold one and sit under the umbrella. Those that want to "test" can fly a few circuits midday and discuss turbo options and VP Props :lol:
To keep it simple we can arrange toilet facilities, braai wood and ice from Sutherland (and fuel if required), you bring your own food and drinks for Saturday and Sunday morning. I think all Jabi's and Gyro's can fit a small tent, camp chair and blow up mattress. :)

Why Jab's and Gyro's : There is a very active Gyro community in the Western Cape and they love "flying out". It will add some variety and also opportunity for them to test their machines.

This post is to test the viability of the idea and to see if there is enough interest to arrange it.
You welcome to respond here or send me PM.
The Jabi & Gyro pilots from "the north" of course also very welcome. They can maybe come share some tips and ideas.

Safe flying !
Last edited by Pepler on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ZU-FBI
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: JAB & GYRO BURN

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:55 pm

.....great this is a tit idea =D> =D> =D> =D>
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Dish
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: Panorama
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Dish » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:48 pm

Great idea, not the best thread heading... :shock:
happyskipper
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FQNC
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by happyskipper » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:19 pm

=D>

My opinion - just start making the arrangements - and they will come.....
Asking people to say yes or no normally results in total apathy - just do it.
Last edited by happyskipper on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark 8)
AKA "happyslipper", "slappykipper" ... etc.. :lol:
Pepler
Lining Up

Re: JAB & GYRO HOT & HIGH

Unread post by Pepler » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:24 pm

FIXED IT :lol: =D>
ZU-FBI
Boerkie
Reaching GFA
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Boerkie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Mooi Pepler. =D> =D>
Gaan voort :D
gyropilot
Rotating
Closest Airfield: MORNING STAR
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by gyropilot » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:24 am

sounds like a fun idea - I'm in!
gyrocopters
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by ZuluBen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Good initiative, run with it!

You might have Gaboronians invade as well .... :wink:
Pepler
Lining Up

SUTHERLAND HOT & HIGH

Unread post by Pepler » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Good day All,
So here it goes ...... If you are able to join us you are more than welcome (any aircraft or rotor wing type), if you have other commitments, please get your priorities right, cancel it and come fly with us :lol:
Saturday morning 24th of Feb 2018 bright and early to avoid turbulence we will be flying to Sutherland for some hot and high practice on their 1400m well maintained fine gravel runways. We come back Sunday 25th as early as sunrise / headaches allow for the guys/girls that want to stay over. I will do 100m markings with chalk on runway to properly gauge take off and landing distance. Feb is hot, Sutherland is 5250 Ft so we might see DA's of 7-8000 Ft (good practise for the Capie's)
From Klapmuts via Ceres it's 130 - 140 Nm. Fix wing should do 60-90 min or less and Gyro's maybe little longer. By the way, its + - same distance form Mosselbay and other coastals. Worcester, Robertson, Swellendam, Oudtshoorn and surrounds even closer, but further away also welcome.

There are unfortunately no ablution facilities at Sutherland airfield, but I am sure the Karoo bossies will welcome your support.
Leave the heavier than water stuff behind just before take off. Water is very scarce in the Cape right now, and Sutherland is no exception, so bring a bottle or two.
The Sutherland Airfield is looked after and maintained by Rogge Cloof Game Reserve. They have good overnight facilities for those that want to stay over. Speak to Corlia and book to avoid disappointment : Tel. 023 004 1161. http://www.roggecloof.com/

Sutherland also have some good accommodation in town :
http://www.sutherland-info.co.za/town
http://www.sutherlandhotel.co.za/

Transport provided by Rogge Cloof or with local taxi service in town that is on standby (15 Km)
Unfortunately no Avgas but JWL Motors in town have Mogas. If you need Avgas / Mogas let me know and I will try arrange some logistics around it. I will be taking bladder and some empty fuel containers with me.
Security guard will be arranged to keep an eye on aircraft overnight, please bring your own tie-downs and a peg or 2 might come in handy.

Bring a camping chair, some cold refreshments and come join us for a day / night out in the Karoo.

You welcome to contact me for any assistance / enquiries. Your wife / girlfriend also welcome to call me to make sure your going to be in good company :lol:

PS : I am arranging some things for convenience sake, but this is not an organised event, just some passionate aviators meeting each other in Sutherland to discuss turbo options for high DA's. :^o Info as accurate as possible but please do proper flight and fuel planning.

Best regards

Pepler
ZU-FBI
Pepler
Lining Up

Unread post by Pepler » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:24 pm

#-o
Contact details : O833 866 O79
ZU-FBI
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Has liked: 3 times

Re: SUTHERLAND HOT & HIGH

Unread post by ZuluBen » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Good incentive taken! =D> =D> =D>
FoxtrotGolf
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Worcester and Morningstar

Re: SUTHERLAND HOT & HIGH - ALL AIRCRAFT TYPES

Unread post by FoxtrotGolf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Weather permitting I'm game !!!!!!!
Pepler
Lining Up

Unread post by Pepler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:20 pm

UPDATE :
All arranged for the weekend as far as possible except for final weather update. Looks OK’ish so far but forecast will tell closer
to the time. You can start planning already in the back of your mind. There will not be official program but time lines for those
that want to join, as follows :
Arrivals – there will be radio on ground for info requests from 08H00 onwards
11H00 – Safety tips on Density Alt Take off & Landings (30 min) by Instructor for those that want to listen.
Rest of day will be about take off and landing at much higher DA than what we are used to in CTN, chatting, comparing, checking
performance data, flying again :lol: , comparing, and so on, and so on.

Both Rogge Cloof (023) 004 1161 and Sutherland Hotel (023) 571 1096 have shuttle to go to Lodge or Town. Camping under the
wing should also be fine but it can get cold during the night. Security at Airfield has been arranged from Sat 16H00 till Sunday 10H00.
George at JWL Motors (082 629 7800) in town is open till 18H00 on Saturday for fuel. I will be taking a number of containers with for
fuels transfers from town to plane if someone needs. If there is need for Avgas you please need to contact me in advance so I can try arrange some during the week.
Only thing you have to do now is pack your own camping chair and book a spot to sleep.
http://www.sutherland-info.co.za/town/accommodation

Pepler
O 833 866 O79
ZU-FBI
Boerkie
Reaching GFA

Unread post by Boerkie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi Pepler,
Dink jy ons sal n vleisie daar onder die vlerk Saterdagaand kan braai? Moet ons vuurmaakhout saambring? Enige ander geriewe daar?
Groetnis 8-[
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 95 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Good luck en pos n paar foto's vir ons binnelanders......lekker bewolk hier sal nie eers met n anner ou se drone vlieg nie. :(
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.

Return to “Jabiru Club of South Africa”