Jabiru Club SA

Our informal clubhouse for Jabiru Enthusiasts.

Moderator: Moderators

BenSmit
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 240 times

Re: Jabiru club SA

Unread post by BenSmit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:36 pm

It's me, I just thought we have all the advantages right here without additional Admin, but then again is it just me that hates admin?
Ben Smit
I am not young enough to know everything
(Oscar Wilde)
Phillip-G
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Club JABIRU-SA

Unread post by Phillip-G » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:37 pm

ZuluBen wrote:I like the idea, and would like to propose the following:

Let us combine the two, and let it be something like the "Avcom Jabiru Club"

I am sure we must be able to find somebody that can make us some Jabbie parapharnalia such as wings, sew on badges, caps, coffee mugs, etc etc.

As things stand, we are pretty organised and getting better by the day =D>

I am sure Sias and the Factory would not mind getting involved as well.

Agree 100% with ZB and BigglesSA - Also got some input from the ladies, they are more than willing to help and be part of a formal Jabi club...
Phillip-G

Re: Jabiru club SA

Unread post by Phillip-G » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:44 pm

BenSmit wrote:It's me, I just thought we have all the advantages right here without additional Admin, but then again is it just me that hates admin?
I think there is a lot of very compettent ladies that will gladly tackle the admin side of things ... :wink:
Phillip-G

Unread post by Phillip-G » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:53 pm

ZuluBen wrote: I am sure we must be able to find somebody that can make us some Jabbie parapharnalia such as wings, sew on badges, caps, coffee mugs, etc etc.

As things stand, we are pretty organised and getting better by the day =D>

I am sure Sias and the Factory would not mind getting involved as well.
I think who ever has a list of Jabi owners and pilot's email addresses can send them an Email to get their feeling on this topic...

I think it would be nice to wear a jacket with our Jabiru Club insignia - 8)
henk-indabush
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by henk-indabush » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 am

Geez, I cannot go on 1 trans-continental flight and you guys think up all sorts of stuff!! Just got in the door in SA and :shock: :shock: :shock: But I like what I see =D> =D> I agree with the idea of a combination of sorts. Personally - I spend a lot of time on avcom and will have difficulty finding time to do the "paper" version as well. But if someone else is willing to run with it, no problem. get the info from avcom and put it into a newsletter, set up a bank account, etc. Running a club sure is hard work and time-consuming. You need a chairman, secretary, treasury, etc and quite frankly, I have had my share of it on the good o' l days. Sure, Sias should be known in this. I lke the idea of paraphenelia, sounds good to me.

If there are jabbie owners out there who are not avcommers, they are missing out. Not just on jabbie stuff, but on a powerful medium of information sharing, learning and communication. And it's all FOR FREE!!!

Perhaps this needs some more discussion before we dive in - my feeling is that avcom provides for 90% (if not more) of the list Biggles has done - perhaps we just need someone to handle the avcom admin duties officially, and if he/she deserves a title (chairperson/secretary?) for it, we give it to him/her/them. I think that avcom makes it so easy to communicate that we should use it to the max.

My suggestion is to keep it all on avcom, run with it, and if we see that there are shortcomings, we can "add on" to the avcom Jabbie club. So instead of having a "hard copy" Jabbie club and use avcom to add-on, we start with the "internet" Jabbie avcom club and add on what we feel is needed.
I most certainly voted yes in the poll!
"Circumstances doth not maketh the man, it reveals him" James Allen
BenSmit
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by BenSmit » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 am

Henk, I voted no because of exactly what you mentioned here, by all means if we want to make it a bit more touchy-feely and get the paraphanalia going, and yes maybe someone can oversee it, I still feel Avcom gives us 90% and the communication is so easy.

I am not against it the collective at all, I was the one that proposed this forum in the first place and after our investigations, this seemed the perfect place for us. Look guys and gals, don't get me wrong, by all means, go for it. I just feel it is a lot more works and aggravation to achieve 10% more. Just go with this and add the additional stuff, make it an informal club then
Ben Smit
(Oscar Wilde)
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by BigglesSA » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:00 am

Chris wrote:Hi

I have merged the topics but the merging has killed the poll as a poll can only be displayed if it is part of the first post (in date order)

Regards

Chris
Thanks Chris
Looks like we did not need the poll anyway!!!!
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
“I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. ” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry“
ZuluBen
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by ZuluBen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:28 am

The Admin is certainly a key issue in a club scenario.

Any volunteers out there?
It is very important to buy your fresh stock of memory pills before you run out completely ...
INVEST IN AFRICA, BUY A POLITICIAN!
Now a legal UFO driver as well !! A2 - UFO
T4flyer
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by T4flyer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:11 am

Just my 2 cents worth,

I think this forum is fantastic as is =D> I have never seen a better forum anywhere.

I personally had some bad experiences with "official" clubs, no matter what the good intension's are in the begining, the people doing all the admin invariably get sick of it and then the backbiting starts. So my vote, if it ain't broken don't try to fix it.

I do like the idea of Jabiru pilot wings, mugs, caps etc. but this can still be done through this forum, I'm sure some of us know where to get prices for those sort of things, we just get together and order a whole bunch at a time.

As I said just my 2c worth

T4Flyer
Phillip-G

Unread post by Phillip-G » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:13 am

ZuluBen wrote:The Admin is certainly a key issue in a club scenario.

Elaine en ek sal volunteer...

enige ander voorstelle of nog volunteers / helpers etc?
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by BigglesSA » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:14 am

ZuluBen wrote:The Admin is certainly a key issue in a club scenario.

Ben in a previous post I said that I have just the people to do this for us. I however first need to speek to them and see if they will do it. This coming weekend i will do just that and get back to the forum with a proposal.
Last edited by BigglesSA on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
“I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. ” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry“
Chris
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Fape
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Chris » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:18 am

From the Avcom side we can add a "Member's Only" section if you guys would want that. You would have to give us the user names of all your members and then we can have a forum that is only visible to those users.

I cannot think of a reason why you would need one - but the facility is available if you need it.
Chris Booysen
A ship is safe in a harbour, but that is not what it is built for.
Phillip-G

Unread post by Phillip-G » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 am

Chris wrote:From the Avcom side we can add a "Member's Only" section if you guys would want that. You would have to give us the user names of all your members and then we can have a forum that is only visible to those users.

I cannot think of a reason why you would need one - but the facility is available if you need it.
Great idea! the facility is available - so why not use it?

Just one question..?
I don't know exactly how it will work, but should one of the members then have to be a moderator as well?
Chris
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Fape
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Chris » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:41 am

You tell us. I will be a private forum for members only - you will say who the members and moderators are. They will not be the same as the general moderators but who you appoint only (plus the system administrators).
Chris Booysen
A ship is safe in a harbour, but that is not what it is built for.
BenSmit
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by BenSmit » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:08 am

I still think it is unnecessary. For me this forum does everything we want. We can add the physical aspects ourselves, as we already do to an extent.
We dont need to be in a members only situation, what we do should be open for all to see- great advertisement for our aeries - Jabiru should be making a contribution to avcom in terms of marketing. We do a better job than the magazine add (Sorry GL, Terence et al)
The Avcom gods have gone the extra mile for us and I am quite happy with this forum, if you guys feel otherwise, well then so be it, this is a democracy.

Thanks Chris, I think the aircraft type discussions have been hugely successful in making Avcom even better
Ben Smit
(Oscar Wilde)

Return to “Jabiru Club of South Africa”