Panel upgrade help

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Mrb13676
Cows on Runway - doing go around
Closest Airfield: FATA

Re: Panel upgrade help

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:25 am

FlyingFinn wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:46 am
Can anyone offer any advise on what route to take? - and ideas on cost to install?
Or would it be easier to find one with a proper autopilot given that the rand is in free fall and these are all dollar priced items?

Hi

I believe that the cost effective way to single pilot IF, is to find a very well cared for a/c with a properly functioning autopilot in a steam gauge panel environment (that might not be a 235)
You can always then increase your situational awareness with a tablet running a moving map / synthetic vision app on the side
other options are going to be significantly more expensive.

It is truly mind boggling how the certified equipment prices have to kill any ability to modernize a panel of a well functioning 1970's airframe :( :( :(

Markku
Yep. Think I need to take a much longer view of this and wait for the right plane to come along....
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:32 pm

No need to do the upgrade all at once. First get the proper aircraft, total hours, engine hours, year model and basic avionics all within acceptable specifications. Auto pilot or auto pilot add-ons can come last. Get some experience on the aircraft first and it will be much easier to fly IF in it later on.

Just saying. :D

Whirly.
Jacobus Adriaan
(FSS,SSAW,NSC)
Of all things in life I have lost,I think I miss my mind the most!!
One of very few people never to have posted anything under the "NO" topic!!
I live by Hook's law........he said Murphy was an optimist!!
ReonWiese
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by ReonWiese » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Good day

We are looking at upgrading our panel on the C210.

It seems like the FAA approval for the GFC 500 Auto Pilot is almost through and looks like a really good alternative budget wise, what are the thoughts on this AP ? We already replaced the DI with the G5 and very happy with this.

Also busy with my IF rating and thinking of adding a Garmin 430.

Would the above upgrades be recommended without having to sell a kidney for the newer Garmins and STEC AP's?

Regards
Reon

Return to “Instrument Flying”