Procedure for IF approach in marginal/full IMC?

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Hop Harrigan
Frequent AvComer

Procedure for IF approach in marginal/full IMC?

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:20 pm

A question please...
When flying to a controlled airport under IFR and in marginal to full IMC, who decides if the approach will be IF or Visual? Do I have to request the IF approach or will it be assigned by default? Does the approach need to be requested on the FPL? And, if there is more than one IF approach option (RNAV or ILS), who assigns the approach or do I have to request my preference?
Thanks
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
Multirotordronepilot
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch

Re: Procedure for IF approach in marginal/full IMC?

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:39 pm

Well if the zone is IMC with base close to decision Alt then perhaps the controller might have an issue with you going visual because you then become responsible for your own separation and could end up as a lost fart in a bubble bath. And this is why you "request" visual.

Then with regards to the rest, take into account available equipment on board and also AC type.

Just because you have the runway visual now does not mean it will remain that way if IMC.

Yes you have to note flight rule on the FP but not approach type.

If the flight is IFR and base well above decision Alt in my experience the controller will have no issue in clearing the visual approach when 5miles out or closer depending on what you are flying.
Commercial pilot,Instructor,Responsible Person Aircraft
Grease monkeyVLOS/EVLOS/BVLOS operator
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
SpiderJets F16
BVM F80 ShootingStar
Aeroworks 100ccYak54
WorldModels 1/3Cub
1/4Scale F100 Sabre(soon)
MemyselfandI
Take off Clearance

Unread post by MemyselfandI » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:35 pm

On first contact you should receive the standard R/T joining info, ie; C on the ATIS, ILS app to 06 1025 report for descent. If you can't fly that approach or want a different one, you ask for it.
Hop Harrigan
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks guys,
Reason I’m asking is that I prefer using the IF approach by default whether it’s IMC or VMC. Mainly because I like to keep in practice but also to stay legal wrt my IF approaches.
However, while the airlines are automatically receiving IF approach clearances at ORT, I’m left begging for an IF approach at FALA most of the time
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
abezzi
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Maun

Unread post by abezzi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:19 am

The other night flying to FALE that was OVC1500 BKN003 Joburg Area asked us if we were able to fly a RNAV APP for Rwy 24 (PC12), so I believe that the controller on duty knew that not all PC12 and/or pilots are qualified for RNAV approaches and he wanted to be sure before change us to Durban APP!
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:59 am

Hop Harrigan wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:00 pm
Thanks guys,
Reason I’m asking is that I prefer using the IF approach by default whether it’s IMC or VMC. Mainly because I like to keep in practice but also to stay legal wrt my IF approaches.
However, while the airlines are automatically receiving IF approach clearances at ORT, I’m left begging for an IF approach at FALA most of the time
Hop
What I often do is wait for an IMC day. Then I wring my hands in glee! Going flying with minimal delays at the airport.
Seriously, I then file an IF flight plan to a nearby beacon, do some holds and return to the airport for the approach. All in proper IMC, alone.
Sometimes I do FAWB - FALA (ILS) and back to FAWB for the NDB. Two approaches done - current etc. :D
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger

Return to “Instrument Flying”