Avidyne IFD 540 GPS NAV COM training

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

kleyn
Preflighting
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Avidyne IFD 540 GPS NAV COM training

Unread post by kleyn » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:47 pm

I have build a RV14 and equiped it to fly IFR with a Advanced IFD and PFD and a Avidyne IFD 540 GPS/NAV/COM. I am used to steam gages and is looking for someone that is proficient on the Avidyne to give me training since I am not comfortable flying IFR at the moment. I will appreciate it if anyone can put me on the right track, preferably a flight school with a simulator that use a Avidyne IFD 540 GPS.
pwnel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: KTEB
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Avidyne IFD 540 GPS NAV COM training

Unread post by pwnel » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:41 am

kleyn wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:47 pm
I have build a RV14 and equiped it to fly IFR with a Advanced IFD and PFD and a Avidyne IFD 540 GPS/NAV/COM. I am used to steam gages and is looking for someone that is proficient on the Avidyne to give me training since I am not comfortable flying IFR at the moment. I will appreciate it if anyone can put me on the right track, preferably a flight school with a simulator that use a Avidyne IFD 540 GPS.
I assume you're instrument rated already? If so, frankly the IFD 540 is about as simple as they get. They also have a great simulator app that you can put on your iPad and play with - 100% realistic (although it uses US Jepp charts for the sim). (Search for Avidyne on the App Store).

Getting instrument proficient is a different story - do that in a plane with a 430 or 530 Garmin and the Avidyne will be trivial afterwards - especially if you've played with the iPad simm.
FAA ASEL COM (IF), 360hrs TT, MCSA SAR member, flies out of FACT, KBLM (Monmouth Exec, NJ - USA).
Mooney 231
kleyn
Preflighting

Unread post by kleyn » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:57 am

I am IF rated but I will prefer to get hands on training in a sim or in my plane. You must be ahead of your plane when flying IF but as it is now, I am way behind when things doesn’t going as planned. For instance, with steam gauges it’s simple , time - twist - throttle -talk. In the a case of a glass cockpit there are many different ways and it can get confusing when you under pressure. I do use the IFD app but still prefer training with someone that is proficient and knows all the tricks and procedures that I believe is different from steam.
willem nieuwenhuis
Ooops forgot to turn the fuel back on!

Unread post by willem nieuwenhuis » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:32 am

What about CB, how do you avoid them ?
Cessna 150 ZS-IIK Seneca ZS-MBY
Cessna 172 ZS-MTJ Maule ZS-LSV
Piper Arrow ZS-JZY Grammun Tiger ZS-NJC
Baron ZS-KLF
Yak 52 ZU-CWJ