Instrument flying training

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Instrument flying training

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Tue May 03, 2016 1:06 pm

Flugmaour wrote:
Hop Harrigan wrote:I wouldn't consider single-engine IF or night flying without the safety of an airframe parachute. IMO the chute is a better safety factor for IF/night flying than a second engine (in a light twin). I think the stats would back me up on that.
Unfortunately that chute won't be worth much when you find yourself in the middle of a nasty.... It will just break it apart
Hi Flugmaour,
Agreed...but nor will the second engine! My point is that the BRS has IMHO made single engine IF/night flying as safe as a IF/night in a light twin (or safer) and I will now happily fly IF with a single engine and the BRS. Sure not thunderstorms or known icing, but then I wouldn't do that in any aerie anyway.
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Tue May 03, 2016 1:19 pm

Iceberg wrote: Kudos to my instructor for giving me this experience. Apparently most nowadays will not go near real IMC, let alone convective weather.
:wink:
Hi Karl,
After passing my IF I persuaded my instructor to go on a round trip Jhb-Cape-Jhb IF with me just to get the feel of things. We checked the weather and it was all pretty good save for some forecast moderate icing around Graaf Reinet. I tested and primed the anti-ice system and we set off in nice weather. Around Gariep we entered cloud, nice and smooth, temp above zero. When frost started to form on the windshield, my instructor said 'lets see what this stuff looks like so you will know what to look for next time'. We watched the wings like hawks and over a period of about 5 minutes ice started to accumulate on the wings. We decided not to use the anti-ice initially and climbed 2000'. When it got to about 1cm thick on the leading edges and the fin we hit anti-ice full boost and did a 180 out of there all the way back to Jhb. Did the same trip the next day in clear weather and the mountains at that point were covered in snow.
As in your case, this experience has given me a good insight into what to expect and when not to go near freezing stuff. There are still good instructors out there!
Flugmaour
Engine full power confirmed
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Flugmaour » Tue May 03, 2016 8:37 pm

Hop Harrigan wrote:
Flugmaour wrote:
Hop Harrigan wrote:I wouldn't consider single-engine IF or night flying without the safety of an airframe parachute. IMO the chute is a better safety factor for IF/night flying than a second engine (in a light twin). I think the stats would back me up on that.
Unfortunately that chute won't be worth much when you find yourself in the middle of a nasty.... It will just break it apart
Hi Flugmaour,
Agreed...but nor will the second engine! My point is that the BRS has IMHO made single engine IF/night flying as safe as a IF/night in a light twin (or safer) and I will now happily fly IF with a single engine and the BRS. Sure not thunderstorms or known icing, but then I wouldn't do that in any aerie anyway.
Hop
You are definitely braver than me....
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by apollo11 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:16 pm

Just had a look at the proposed syllabus for the one exam IF rating - it looks very close to the current comm subjects.

RA, Met, Human P, Law and Proc, Instruments

Looks to me this is not going to be an easy exam to pass as one will need pretty much to be at comm level theory to write one exam with multiple comm subjects, I think rather than encouraging pilots to gain their IF ticket it's going to put off even more than the old comm/IF syllabus did. I think CAA went OTT here.

http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/Personnel%20 ... icate.aspx
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:02 am

Hi Apollo,
That's a real pity. I did all 7/8 of the Com exams for my IF (under the new syllabus last year) and there was was certainly a helluva lot of unnecessary stuff in the courses that had little bearing on a PPL IF rating. Eg 737 autopilot functions, 13 different V-speeds, etc etc.
I was kind of hoping CAA would define a subset of the theory for the new rating and not just repeat the whole syllabus.
As I said...that's a real pity
Hop
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by apollo11 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:53 am

Hi Hop

Yes agreed I'm not sure why SA CAA tried to reinvent the wheel here, they do reference much of the FAA materials, they could have simply avoided a lot of headache and adopted the FAA style and with simply modifying slightly the Met and Law components to suit local conditions
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry

Return to “Instrument Flying”