Plettenberg Bay Cloudbreak

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

SandPiper
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Plettenberg Bay Cloudbreak

Unread post by SandPiper » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:38 pm

I can only think of IRS updating done with ground based navaids, but not ndb's.

C'mon Brand, humor us.... :D
quintdxb
Engine Cranking
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by quintdxb » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:50 pm

We need to be careful with the terminology. I may be wrong but as far as I know the NDB is picked up by an ADF while Marker Beacons are picked up by a separate receiver.

On many installations the Marker Beacon passage is displayed on by one of 3 lights on the audio selector panel. This has nothing to do with the ADF.

On some approaches, the NDB is co-located with a Marker Beacon, but they are not the same thing. The ADF will only "point" to the tuned NDB transmitter. It will not point at a Marker Beacon.

Conversely, a Marker Beacon indicator will not illuminate with passage over an NDB on the approach.
SandPiper
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by SandPiper » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:08 am

quintdxb wrote:We need to be careful with the terminology. I may be wrong but as far as I know the NDB is picked up by an ADF while Marker Beacons are picked up by a separate receiver.

On many installations the Marker Beacon passage is displayed on by one of 3 lights on the audio selector panel. This has nothing to do with the ADF.

On some approaches, the NDB is co-located with a Marker Beacon, but they are not the same thing. The ADF will only "point" to the tuned NDB transmitter. It will not point at a Marker Beacon.

Conversely, a Marker Beacon indicator will not illuminate with passage over an NDB on the approach.
Correct.

Return to “Instrument Flying”