PPL IF rating

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: PPL IF rating

Unread post by apollo11 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:58 pm

HI Paulie, you will require at least a class2 medical, the IF rating is a rating not a license, so your medical for over 40 will be one year, and that aligns itself to your license held.
If you obtained your commercial then you would require a class 1 medical.
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
imbrokers
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAVG
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by imbrokers » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:29 am

Hi
I heard its not possible to do PPL with instruments it anymore?
or is it?

Thanks
Wlotzkas
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Wlotzkas » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi, i am looking for some honest opinions on whether a ppl if rating will work for me, and make me a safer pilot with more options. I will discuss this with my instructor as well, but would like to get your opinion please:

I fly a RV9 with twin dynon touch screens with auto pilot, a certified gps, with a nav/com radio and mode s transponder. I fly mainly for work between nelspruit and hoedspruit civil, as well as to tzaneen, and other similar airfields. Approximately 100h/ year. I am currently on 180h total.
I am thinking of doing the ppl if rating, but only if it will make me a safer pilot, i can fly if with my own plane in imc with confidence, and if it is not too much of an effort to stay current. It would mainly be used to get out of the lowveld more reliably than anything else.
Specifically i would like to know:
-Can i do the if training in my own plane?
-Can i confidently use my plane for if flying in your opinion?
-If not, what else is needed instrument wise (heated Pitot tube?) or is it a no go? The poh says nothing about if flying.
-What would i realistically need to do, how often to remain safe (more than only legally current)
-How practical is is to remain safe current in my situation?
-Assuming some of the answers to the questions above makes if flying impossible /impractical, would you still recommend the rating to improve skills, even though it will lapse soon after?

I look forward to your replies!
Thanks!
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose. – Jim Elliot
ZU-ORG
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 93 times

Unread post by GL » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:40 am

All good questions Wlotzkas. I am not going to try answer all of them now - but 2 key things.
To fly IF in the RV-9 you will need to get an IF ATF (Authority to Fly). Unlikely with its current NTCA equipment.
To get an instrument rating as a PPL -or a comm - has become very difficult - to my mind unreasonably so. The failure rate is a disaster for the schools and the industry and an indictment on the CAA. But it can be done if you are good at exams and apply yourself.
So my advice is DO IT! It will undoubtedly make you a far far better pilot.
And that lowveld weather is tricky and encourages scud running.
Our body is made to move, and our mind is made to connect with other people.
– Sjur Nesheim, Norwegian mountaineer

The essentials to happiness:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• something to hope for

Guy Leitch
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by apollo11 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:32 am

Agree GL you have hit the nail on the head the new syllabus and in particular the new IF exam is very much academic orientated more so than any other factor, I feel with the addition of the 4th multiple choice option the pass mark should have been dropped to 70% in line with international norms.

The FAA Transport Canada and numerous other agencies engaged psychologists educators universities and such to carefully design their syllabus and in particular their methodology in asking questions, , I hear apparently that a few individuals here in SA designed the question database exams, and it's obvious in the awful vagueness on the some of the questions too often not testing knowledge but English understanding, looking to catch out the candidate rather than testing knowledge fairly.
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
Mrb13676
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FASY
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:20 pm

This makes sobering reading. I was always told not to stop at PPL and that I must definitely go on to do the IR. It looks like a heck of a bridge to cross. Hard to see how making an impossible exam makes better pilots. What does the pass rate look like these days?
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo s/n 009
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:01 pm

paulincapetown wrote:Ok so if you manage to pass this exam and practical, do you have to have a medical every 6 months in order to maintain the IF rating or, if over 40 is it still just once a year as with a normal ppl?
I have a CPL/IF and only do the medical once a year (over 40).
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger

Return to “Instrument Flying”