IFR approach FALA

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

GolfUniform
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

IFR approach FALA

Unread post by GolfUniform » Mon May 16, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi Gents (and Ladies),

Having only ever flown VFR before, I would like to start sinking my teeth into the IFR side of things. I have the following question:
When the big guys approach Lanseria, they call in "Lima Alpha One, Foxtrot One." So the Lima Alpha One I assume has to do with Lanseria, what is the Foxtrot One then? Again I would assume it has to do with some sort of beacon. I have always been told that there are 3 "marker beacons", Outer, Middle and Inner when you approach a runway in IFR. Is this still the case? I have also heard them call in (on less frequent occasions) Lima Alpha One November (and I don't recall the number following the November)

I know how a VOR works and what an NDB is, but I'm not so clued up on DME equipment. Is there any resource which I can consult which will explain the whole IFR thing? Way back (Like waaaay back) when I was a youngster I did my General Aviation Radio licence after I got my PPL, I remember there where SIDs and STARs as well, would be great to get up to speed with how it all works.

And no I'm not current at the moment so please save the nasty comments... :-) I've heard the LA1 F1 when flying with mates in their aircraft but didn't feel comfortable asking them, they're a pompous lot and I'll probably end up getting teased...!

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
Jayson v Schalkwyk
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Himeville
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: IFR approach FALA

Unread post by Jayson v Schalkwyk » Mon May 16, 2016 9:01 pm

These are the names given to GPS waypoints that form part of the RNAV approach for RWY07. LA1 F1 happens to be the final approach fix for said RNAV approach. The other names given are fixes that form part of the approach when arriving from various directions. RNAV approaches are generally designed in a "T" pattern with the bottom on the I being the final approach segment.

Hope that makes sense.

Try have a look for the approach plate on the CAA website. Might clarify what I am getting at. " a picture is worth a thousand words"
Jayson van Schalkwyk

A pilot's professionalism is judged by how he flies when nobody is looking
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Tue May 17, 2016 2:07 pm

Hi GolfUniform,
This might make it a bit clearer...check the arrival points N/S/W of the field
Hop
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
GolfUniform
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by GolfUniform » Tue May 17, 2016 10:51 pm

Thanks very much guys, that gives me something to chew on... I appreciate the detailed feedback and effort.
Aquila
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: VHHH or FAVB
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Aquila » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi GolfUniform, as mentioned by the others waypoints named like that are usually part of a RNAV (GNSS) type approach procedure. They are waypoints in your navigational database and aren't physical beacons on the ground. They have been established by the procedural designers and are geographical co-ordinates. So SA adopted a naming protocol and it works like this:

If we look at LA1T1 on the chart that Hop posted it is "decoded" as follows:

LA: Reference Aerodrome or "from aerodrome", in this case FALA (Lanseria)
1: Designated threshold 1
T: Intermediate Approach Fix (IF)
1: First Intermediate Fix in the Intermediate Segment

The type of fix for the waypoint is defined by the following:

N: Initial Approach Fix (IF)
T: Intermediate Approach Fix (IAF)
F: Final Approach Fix (FAF)
MP: Missed Approach Point (MAPT)
M: Missed Approach Fix in the Missed Apporoach Segment

This is from SACAA AIC 40-12...

Hope this helps and feel free to ask question, most guys and girls on here are very willing to help and we all learn something... :)
Raccoon jet driver...

See Horizons!

Return to “Instrument Flying”