The New Instrument Rating Syllabus

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

louisorange
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAPE

The New Instrument Rating Syllabus

Unread post by louisorange » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:47 am

Does anyone have any information regarding what changes were made to the Instrument Rating Syllabus. I have searched on the CAA website and I only can see that the Theoretical Syllabus was changed and in effect from 1st of July 2016. But the practical training syllabus (air exercise) I cannot seem to find any updates whatsoever on it. Please if anyone can help me out here. Thank you.
nrm
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Re: The New Instrument Rating Syllabus

Unread post by nrm » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:23 pm

CATS 61.11.1

Appendix 13.4 to the CATS
Neville Matthews
louisorange
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAPE

Unread post by louisorange » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:56 pm

Thank you very much. Appreciate it.
Saracen
Lining Up

Unread post by Saracen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Not on the practical side..but more the theory....

Just wrote this exam...64 perc. 106 wrote..13 passed. (operational procedures exam)
Something is wrong. Time allocated is an issue here. Of the guys that sat with me, I was the first out of the hall with just 3 minutes to go. The rest were still frantically writing.

They must re-think this exam through...either the amount of content...or the time. The marks allocation were different too...as well as the fact that a lot of the questions had 5 possible (multiple choice) answers. Some questions too..phrased in such a way that just understanding the question properly...was an issue..!

It is a HUGE subject matter (8 subjects in one sitting) and thus a HUGE database of questions that can be asked, so the chances of getting the same question again is slim.

I studied with Questionbank. Did over 5000 questions..and not ONE came up...

One wonders...do they ACTUALLY WANT you to pass? Just over 10 percent pass is ridiculous!
Hop Harrigan
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:10 pm

I wrote COM (the first time around) in 1978 at DCA in Boom st, Pretoria. At that time there was a 3% pass of all 8 subjects at first try. No multiple choice, written exam and wrote 3 subjects per day.
...not much has changed in nearly 40 years...!!
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
Saracen
Lining Up

Unread post by Saracen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Having done the FAA ATP...the Yanks have got the exams right in my opinion.
Ask questions that are all CLEAR..and PERTINENT to all aspects of flying. Runway incursions, icing, aerodynamics, braking, microbursts, performance figures! Prf's, Polar projections (stereog) and other ..dare I say "random" bits are not asked. Teach and examine so that all dilligent people pass first time.

THEN the oral and the checkride DEMAND that you fly accurately! And that you know your stuff! The emphasis is that you operate the airframe accurately and safely!

Oh well.....different strokes...
johnsonCJ
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: fala

Unread post by johnsonCJ » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:23 pm

I wrote this exam yesterday. Its really horrible!!
There are so many questions and much stuff Im not sure how you're supposed to study for it :(

It covered every subject and there were a few questions on stuff I had no idea about. Its not from a lack of me studying either. I've passed all my other subjects and nearly passed the old exam with 70% & 73%.

I got 52% yesterday.

So yeah, we're screwed!
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by apollo11 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:35 pm

I'm not surprised the CAA got this wrong, they tried to re-invent the wheel - looks to me like the hope of getting more IF pilots into the system will be even less successful than the old antiquated system was.
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
johnsonCJ
Taxiing

Unread post by johnsonCJ » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:21 pm

Im writing this exam again on the 5th.
Anyone else had a go? Anyone passed yet?
GL
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by GL » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:25 am

I believe the pass rate is 13%. I think it's indicative that the CAA lost the plot on this one. They need to make the IF rating accessible and practical, not QBI. (Quite bloody impossible for those who remember the Q codes.)
Uncommon wisdom:
The grand essentials to happiness in this life are:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• and something to hope for

Guy Leitch
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by apollo11 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:21 pm

The SACAA has whilst in thick convective cloud for some time now apparently appeared to have suffered a vacuum failure along with comms failure, ATC (the industry) are trying to help them and vector them to clearer skies - a better positive outcome, but their vestibular system is swishing around and whilst in a state of spatial disorientation they are unable to follow other agencies successful instructions and legacy, and are quite determined to enter a graveyard spiral into the ground as they pull tighter in a spiral knowing full well they are making the situation even worse.

Why do the CAA simply not reduce power level wings and follow the good advice vectors that us pilots out here, the industry, and other very successful agencies such as the FAA and Transport Canada suggest.

Really SACAA, you do not have to make mistakes over again, by attempting to re-invent the wheel, others already have decades ago and moved on.

Learn from them, as good pilots are always learning so should their aviation bodies..
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
johnsonCJ
Taxiing

Unread post by johnsonCJ » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:20 pm

We could all post and complain about it (and we have every right to!) but thats not going to help anyone.

So I will be gathering as much info on this exam as I can and post it here on this thread.
I have subscribed to questionbank to get some practise with the IR exam. However, having written it once already, I know that questionbank is very inaccurate as a mock exam. They have just used all their old procedures questions and haven't added anything from the new syllabus.
So all its really useful for is getting used to sitting a 2.5 hour exam and get your brain into gear for that.

I have heard that CFA have notes for the IR exam, however, I haven't got it yet as they are out of stock :/
johnsonCJ
Taxiing

Unread post by johnsonCJ » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:46 pm

Failed again today with 63%

I felt like the exam went well and I was expecting in the high 60s on this attempt but no....
I think the exam is passable but only after you've written and passed all the other CPL subjects, obviously.

There are a lot of Met and principles of flight questions. There are also new questions on practical instrument flying like which instruments to use during certain maneuvers.

If anyone wants a copy of my coaching report to get an ideal of what going on, just PM with your email address.
jameSpeirs
Engine Still Cranking
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by jameSpeirs » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:36 pm

johnsonCJ wrote:Failed again today with 63%

I felt like the exam went well and I was expecting in the high 60s on this attempt but no....
I think the exam is passable but only after you've written and passed all the other CPL subjects, obviously.

There are a lot of Met and principles of flight questions. There are also new questions on practical instrument flying like which instruments to use during certain maneuvers.

If anyone wants a copy of my coaching report to get an ideal of what going on, just PM with your email address.
All you had to do was follow the damn train CJ! :lol:
pistonpilot
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: FAKR

Unread post by pistonpilot » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:53 pm

I have been watching posts relating to the new IR exams and it seems nigh impossible to pass these exams , has anyone explored the option of doing the instrument rating in the USA ? Will the rating be recognised by CAA ?

Return to “Instrument Flying”