The New Instrument Rating Syllabus

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

BallsOfFire
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: The New Instrument Rating Syllabus

Unread post by BallsOfFire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:26 am

I know two guys that worked really hard at getting thr CPL's, passed all exams well and left this exam as the last one.

Both could not yet pass this......

Something is wrong and the CAA does not want to listen ...
"Learning to fly is easy.....it's learning when not to fly that's the hard part"
supafly
Fuelling up
Been liked: 0

Unread post by supafly » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:36 am

Hello Guys,

Would like to give this theory exam a go but not sure where I can get some study notes. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Thank you.
Blue Skies...
Patrickhloots
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by Patrickhloots » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Good luck with trying to figure out what to study. They have a syllabus on there Web site but even if you know every aspect of the syllabus you still won't just pass the exam. I spoke to the head moderator and what they trying to accomplish is to have a student that fully understand every aspect of flying. Not just theoreticaly but practically aswell. So you might get 60% theory questions and then the rest of the questions are related to practical aspects of IF flying. This makes it extremely hard for the ppl student trying to get his IF cpl, as most ppl students don't get any IF experience when building their hours.

They want you to have 10 years of flying, charter and airline experience with a fresh ppl. Also don't forget the fact that even if you just finished your 8 cpl exams, you now need to restudy all your work to write this exam. And if you fail 3 times or fail the exam with less than 50% you have to wait 2 months before you can wre write this exam.

There are no books out there that cover the IF exam. No question banks and no help regarding this exam.
The only way that one might pass is to study the jepps and hope for the best.
supafly
Fuelling up

Unread post by supafly » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Ouch ! So it's CPL or nothing then ? Does one have to go to the States to get the IF rating done ? Or will they refuse to recognise it when you get back ?
Blue Skies...
BallsOfFire
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by BallsOfFire » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Same for CPL. I know a few people that did their CPL exams, but have to write this one subject. They still have not passed this.... They very fustrated....
"Learning to fly is easy.....it's learning when not to fly that's the hard part"
Saracen1
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Lusaka

Unread post by Saracen1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Just a brief personal experience..
I have had an SA comm (and IR) for 17 years.
I also have an FAA ATPL. To get this validated (to an SAATPL) I have had to write Met , Flt Planning and law (all passed) as well as the new IFR exam. I failed this with 65 percent both times late last year.

Its ironic that (having failed this exam) I still am allowed to operate a current IR on my comm licence...but that seems to be the way it works!

So YES...do your IR in the States if you want to...BUT you will still have to write this IR exam when you get home!

Ps..I have a Zambian ATPL as well..am flying on it..and they accepted my FAA ATP without any fuss!

Best regards!

Philip
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 93 times

Unread post by GL » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:16 am

This making the IR even more inaccessible really annoys me and confirms my own experiences. The CAA have again lost the plot.
If I was starting my career I would not bother with the SACAA exams and just go straight to FAA. And so over zealous bureaucrats shoot SA aviation in the foot once again.
Our body is made to move, and our mind is made to connect with other people.
– Sjur Nesheim, Norwegian mountaineer

The essentials to happiness:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• something to hope for

Guy Leitch
TonyL
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: FAEL

Unread post by TonyL » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:15 am

Can you do the FAA route in SA?
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 93 times

Unread post by GL » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:10 pm

TonyL wrote:Can you do the FAA route in SA?
nope - NAFAIK
Our body is made to move, and our mind is made to connect with other people.
– Sjur Nesheim, Norwegian mountaineer

The essentials to happiness:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• something to hope for

Guy Leitch
supafly
Fuelling up

Unread post by supafly » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:42 am

It seems 'universally' accepted by pilots/students that there is a problem. Is there any way to lobby the authorities? AOPA ? Petitions to get the CAA to listen to the industry?
Blue Skies...
Segg
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Segg » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:27 am

supafly wrote:It seems 'universally' accepted by pilots/students that there is a problem. Is there any way to lobby the authorities? AOPA ? Petitions to get the CAA to listen to the industry?
Considering ICAO is conducting an Audit this year, perhaps lobbying them would get the CAA's attention?
what goes around, comes around.
supafly
Fuelling up

Unread post by supafly » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:29 am

Great idea. Perhaps we could rally under AOPA ? Or should we start an independent petition?
Blue Skies...
Saracen1
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Lusaka

Unread post by Saracen1 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:26 pm

After about 6 months of this nonsense, the CAA should look at the pass/fail stats and (off their own bat) consult the industry and re-structure the exam. As I said before, I failed two attempts last year (Oct/Nov) at an outstation, and decided I would only write again when the CAA had had a rethink.

I find it absurd that this should be allowed to continue unchecked resulting in extra costs and delays for the candidates as well as the training establishments involved. Studying questionbank for this one exam means you have to troll over 6 thousand questions ...and I did just that! very few of those questions appeared in the exam.

I approached Mr Odendaal at the CAA, who assured me that the exam was put together "ïn consultation with the industry"...but I have yet to see proof of that. I also queried as to (as I have a current SA Comm and IF rating) why I had to write this exam(to validate my FAA ATP)...and he just said....those are the rules...

We gotta get serious here guys.
grounded01
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: lanseria

Unread post by grounded01 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Most students going to be held up with this exam which could lead to all the exams lapsing, i find this crazy that all of us are this relaxed and worse yet how long would it take the caa to change the exam?
Piggy-Hawk
Reaching GFA
Closest Airfield: Rand Airport
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Piggy-Hawk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:43 pm

Is a PPL instrument rating the same thing as a CPL instrument rating, or will you have to do the instrument rating again once you are done with your CPL?

Return to “Instrument Flying”