Private single pilot single engine IF not commercial or training

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

ppakotze
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Fly from FARS
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Private single pilot single engine IF not commercial or training

Unread post by ppakotze » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:46 am

Assuming you get the IF rating on a PPL or higher license what is the minimum aeroplane you need?

Sure there is the list of the six pack, transponder and other bits listed under 91.04.5

and then

Headset, autopilot with heading and altitude and other items under 91.04.6

So you need quite a decent certified aeroplane to fly yourself in a single in IMC or night?
None of the flying school planes I have flown recently have anything with a heading AND altitude hold.

Of course the law states that for IF training we may go bumbling about in planes without meeting all these requirements.

Regards
P.
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 50 times

Re: Private single pilot single engine IF not commercial or training

Unread post by Iceberg » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:38 pm

If you intend to fly in real IMC alone, you need as much equipment as you can get - and it must all be working properly and be reliable.
No short cuts I'm afraid. You must also know the aircraft well. You should be able to put the aircraft in e.g. a 500ft/min descent by configuration and power settings alone without thinking and cross checking, chasing needles etc.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
ppakotze
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by ppakotze » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:52 pm

Ja understood, there is even plenty of legal VFR weather I would not like to fly in.

But reading the above it sounds like even solo night VFR cross country could be illegal without an auto pilot, or am I giving too much credit to the law makers?

P.
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by apollo11 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:36 pm

You are giving too much credit, you do not require an auto pilot for night VFR.
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi pal,
CDC Aviation at FALA provides training and hire & fly on SR20's...fully certified aircraft for IF/night flight.
No, I don't work for them....-:)
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
ppakotze
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by ppakotze » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:14 am

Apollo agreed on the night flight in VMC.

However if I read the law correctly no single pilot in IMC without an autopilot for heading and altitude.
Additional equipment for single-pilot operation under IMC or at night
91.04.6 (1) No owner or operator of an aircraft shall conduct single-pilot operations in an aircraft under IMC or at night unless such aircraft has been certificated for single-pilot operations and—

(a)
the single pilot flying is equipped with a headset with boom microphone or equivalent and has a transmit button positioned in such a way that it may be operated without the pilot having to remove his or her hands from the control wheel, joy stick or cyclic stick;

(b)
the aircraft is equipped with a means of displaying charts that enables them to be readable in all ambient light conditions;

(c)
if the aircraft is flown under IMC, such aircraft has been certificated for single pilot IFR operations and is equipped with a serviceable automatic flight control system with at least altitude hold and heading mode; or
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:03 pm

ppakotze wrote:Apollo agreed on the night flight in VMC.

However if I read the law correctly no single pilot in IMC without an autopilot for heading and altitude.
Additional equipment for single-pilot operation under IMC or at night
91.04.6 (1) No owner or operator of an aircraft shall conduct single-pilot operations in an aircraft under IMC or at night unless such aircraft has been certificated for single-pilot operations and—

(a)
the single pilot flying is equipped with a headset with boom microphone or equivalent and has a transmit button positioned in such a way that it may be operated without the pilot having to remove his or her hands from the control wheel, joy stick or cyclic stick;

(b)
the aircraft is equipped with a means of displaying charts that enables them to be readable in all ambient light conditions;

(c)
if the aircraft is flown under IMC, such aircraft has been certificated for single pilot IFR operations and is equipped with a serviceable automatic flight control system with at least altitude hold and heading mode; or
Correct, no single pilot flying IMC without a working autopilot.

I have always subscribed to this rule, irrespective of what the regulations say or said in the past.
Should you be able to fly without it? Absolutely.

Timo Rebel named the autopilot "Attie Pienaar". Attie is your friend and ally when flying single pilot IFR.
In the Hansie Cronje accident two professional pilots stuffed up the approach and flew into the mountain.
The PC12 accident at Plett - two professional pilots got it wrong as well.
Single pilot in IMC is demanding and one can easily get it wrong - Attie should always be there to assist.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:38 pm

....if ppakotze will allow me this question, what is the difference between just flying IF, and training for IF, since you are going to use all the equipment in the aircraft that you were trained on?

....or maybe is it only the legality to operate in IMC with the minimum allowable equipment that you enquire about???

... lastly, can we list all the equipment that the aircraft needs to qualified for IF training purposes? Genuine questions
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie

Return to “Instrument Flying”