Multi Engine Comm Renewal with IF rating

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Iceman1987
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Fala
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Multi Engine Comm Renewal with IF rating

Unread post by Iceman1987 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Good day Avcommers,

I was hoping somebody could provide me with insight into the minimum requirements to keep a Multi-Engine Commercial with Instrument rating valid. Last year November 2015 I revalidated my Instrument rating and therefore (I believe) my commercial licence was revalidated as well.

Since my last renewal in the SIMULATOR money has become a bit of an issue (Unable to find work as a pilot) and as such have been unable to fly anything since my last renewal.

I was wondering what the minimum requirements would be to keep my Multi-Engine Comm with Instrument rating valid.

My one friend with 3000+ hrs says that I just need to revalidate my Instrument rating in the SIM every year.
Elsewhere I have heard initial renewal is in the SIM then alternating in the Aircraft the next year.
and then just to confuse me more as per form CA61-05b (Requirements for revalidation of Commercial Pilot Licence) it states that one needs to maintain competency which includes 3 hours as either PIC or PICUS in the previous 6 months OR have completed sufficient Groundschool and flight training. :shock:

Who is correct? What is the cheapest way to keep it all valid? and what is this competency requirement that is required 12 months after initial and thereafter 24 months after revalidation? :shock:

I just want to keep it valid as I have a 8-5 desk job getting paid R8000 a month just trying to pay for my licence to stay valid.......

PLEASE anybody help.. [-o<
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 50 times

Re: Multi Engine Comm Renewal with IF rating

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:14 pm

I renew my twin IF rating (com) every year on the sim. Used to do it on the aircraft sometimes, but it is not required.
Renewing the IF rating revalidates the com as well.
If you have flown less than 3 hours in the preceding 6 months you have to do some training at an ATO to get up to standard.
And that is all there is to it.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Iceman1987
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Fala
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Multi Engine Comm Renewal with IF rating

Unread post by Iceman1987 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:38 pm

Iceberg wrote:I renew my twin IF rating (com) every year on the sim. Used to do it on the aircraft sometimes, but it is not required.
Renewing the IF rating revalidates the com as well.
If you have flown less than 3 hours in the preceding 6 months you have to do some training at an ATO to get up to standard.
And that is all there is to it.

=D> Thank you so much.. Very straight forward answer! Greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Return to “Instrument Flying”