LIV unserviceable...ATC Responsibility?

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times

LIV unserviceable...ATC Responsibility?

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:40 pm

I was inbound to FALA today having filed IFR via LIV. When I reminded Area that I was requesting the VOR Z (straight in) approach, I got routed to LA (NDB). Only after I was handed over to Radar was I informed that LIV was not operational. Weather was VMC but very poor vis and I would have preferred the IF approach.
So, an interesting question: If the Nav facility goes inop while you are en-route to that facility (i'm not sure exactly when it failed), should ATC not have a responsibility to inform all traffic routing to the facility regarding its inoperable state as soon it becomes known to them? If they only pass this info on when the aircraft is approaching the facility, it could have alternate/fuel implications for the flight?
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
wysiwyg
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: Durban
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: LIV unserviceable...ATC Responsibility?

Unread post by wysiwyg » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:35 pm

Wasn't it notam'd?
" It wouldn't be right for me to correct your statement. But, if I agree with you, there is a chance that we would both be wrong ! "
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:52 pm

I did check the notam and didn't see any reference to LIV...either way, why would an IF flight plan be accepted if the facility isn't available?
Hop
Snitch
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: Unknown
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Snitch » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:56 pm

Notam
A4002/16N

Lanseria VOR/DME LIV 117.4 MHZ/CH 121X U/S
All associated proc suspended

From 23-Nov-2016 05:50 UTC to 23-Nov-2016 20:00 UTC Estimated
Only
Last nights Garlic 'repeats' itself.
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Only » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:57 am

Hop Harrigan wrote:I did check the notam and didn't see any reference to LIV...either way, why would an IF flight plan be accepted if the facility isn't available?
Hop
Because you might get IMC enroute it is not just the destination where the IF flightan is needed. Secondly I think you would have been warned if the airport was IMC and you need to do the approach and you would not be able to land. I have been informed once crossing the border over Gabarone that there is very high cross winds at FALA and nobody is able to land.
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:22 am

Hop Harrigan wrote:I was inbound to FALA today having filed IFR via LIV. When I reminded Area that I was requesting the VOR Z (straight in) approach, I got routed to LA (NDB). Only after I was handed over to Radar was I informed that LIV was not operational. Weather was VMC but very poor vis and I would have preferred the IF approach.
So, an interesting question: If the Nav facility goes inop while you are en-route to that facility (i'm not sure exactly when it failed), should ATC not have a responsibility to inform all traffic routing to the facility regarding its inoperable state as soon it becomes known to them? If they only pass this info on when the aircraft is approaching the facility, it could have alternate/fuel implications for the flight?
Hop
Regulations require an alternate and your fuel planning must include that.
So if you arrive and are informed that the facility is out, you would have to proceed to the alternate if it is not possible to do a visual approach. Airliners can use the RNAV approach, so they won't really be affected anyway.
In your case Area might not have known about the issue whereas Radar did.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:20 am

Snitch wrote:Notam
A4002/16N

Lanseria VOR/DME LIV 117.4 MHZ/CH 121X U/S
All associated proc suspended

From 23-Nov-2016 05:50 UTC to 23-Nov-2016 20:00 UTC Estimated
Now that's odd...I took the Notam off EasyPlan and didn't spot that...
Hop

Return to “Instrument Flying”