IF into/out of FASH - Pls help!

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times

IF into/out of FASH - Pls help!

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi,
I'm planning an IF flight to/from FASH. I have heard that CT ATC has special requirements for filing an IF flight plan to/from FASH which are different from a normal IF flight to/from an unmanned VFR-only airfield.
Can anyone throw some light on this please?
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
jalopysled
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: IF into/out of FASH - Pls help!

Unread post by jalopysled » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:09 am

File IFR then VFR in the flights rules, then make the changeover to VFR at CTV. Tell the area controller that your plan is to break off ILS when visual and route to FASH VFR (tell the area controller so that you don't spring it on the tower controller last minute).
Your plan can look something like "... dct GETEN dct CTV N150A015 dct FASH". (Warning... don't take my flight plan filing advice.... been a long time since I've had to do the planning :mrgreen: )

As for departure out of FASH - airspace is "tight" to slot you in, but it can be done.
File your IFR flight plan with a good lead time. Then phone ATC Cape Town and liase with them when is suitable that they can accommodate you on a unrestricted climb into the TMA after departure.
Then give them a call on your second radio when at holding point and advise you at the hold - and it should work out well. The ATC guys there will go a long way to help you if you just speak to them first and give them a heads up of what you need, and if you are flexible to their program.
Although... unless you REALLY have to fly IFR (below VFR min in that area - not a good idea - just go to FACT, it's only a 30min drive)... going VFR is easy and painless.

Bear in mind for the departure - you would need to climb to the southerly or northerly direction to get the alt required above MSA before they can give you direct OKTED/TETAN... bumbling up at 500fpm to get up to >6000ft - you can see why they don't like it too much... you're in the "highway"'of the Dep/Arrs
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:31 pm

Hi jalopy,
Sounds like just the advice I need, much obliged! I am planning on going in and back out via GETEN in order to not have to go over the higher peaks. So will prob file "Y" with VFR from GETEN on the way in and then cross over Sir Lowreys Pass.
Landing at CT would be great except for the parking costs. Stellies is also ok except for having to park in the mud (wish they'd tar the parking area)!
Hop
FlyingFinn
Rolling
Closest Airfield: FASH

Unread post by FlyingFinn » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:27 pm

Hop Harrigan wrote:Hi,
I'm planning an IF flight to/from FASH. I have heard that CT ATC has special requirements for filing an IF flight plan to/from FASH which are different from a normal IF flight to/from an unmanned VFR-only airfield.
Can anyone throw some light on this please?
Hop
Hi

I have been flying IF to and from Stellies now for 10 years or so

Coming in is easy, you file for FACT and inform approach of your real intentions to divert to FASH when either visual or from an approach to CT

Leaving FASH on an IF plan is no longer accepted by ATNS.
I won't wish to pick a bone with them about how come I can file an IF plan leaving say Plett, but they will not accept an IF plan leaving FASH any more. Go figure.
This has been the case for the past 2 or so years.

So now I file Z and the either pick CTV as an IFR joining point if wx is IMC over the mountains to the North / West. Or depending where I am heading either CDV or TETAN if the wx is VMC.

The approach has always then accommodated me nicely once they have assigned a squak and gotten me on their screen. Friendly bunch there.

Welcome to Stellies, and the grass parking is not muddy for the time being as we haven't had rain for months :(

Markku
avanhels
Flight Planning

Unread post by avanhels » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi

Please note GETEN is for arrivals only - not departures.

Enjoy Stellies - it's the most beautiful strip in SA.

FACT ATC are very friendly and helpful if you don't spring a surprise on them
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:56 pm

The inbound flight via GETEN (filed Y with VFR from GETEN) worked well with the exception that at F100 over GETEN, after being handed over to CT approach, comms was unusable. I switched back to area and was able to continue VFR from there. Looks like CT approach radio coverage is not great. Staying IFR till GETEN was a good idea as there was heavy IMC at GETEN and all the way East.
Thanks for the heads-up...will have to change my routing out of CT ...was going to go via GETEN!
Stellies is a nice af, if somewhat short and narrow, but the wind shear half a mile from the threshold of rwy 19 lost me 10kts very suddenly and a lot of quick power was required. Wind was about 270 at 18 kts.
Hop
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:03 pm

ps
Can I file flight rules 'Y' (VFR to IFR) and go VFR FASH to CDV then IFR? Or is that too close to GETEN?
Hop
FlyingFinn
Rolling
Closest Airfield: FASH

Unread post by FlyingFinn » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:03 am

Hop Harrigan wrote:ps
Can I file flight rules 'Y' (VFR to IFR) and go VFR FASH to CDV then IFR? Or is that too close to GETEN?
Hop
That's what I have filed and they have accepted it.

Markku
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:37 am

Hi Finn,
That sounds good...simplifies my planning
Many thanks
Hop
Chalkie
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAPX
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 128 times

Unread post by Chalkie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Hop Harrigan wrote:ps
Hop
I have just noticed this thread. Flt Plan Rules 'Y' and 'Z' seem to be misunderstood and confused here.

When filing a Flight Plan...

Your girlfriend IVY is "For Instrument to Visual, File Y'

The opposite is VIZ. 'For Visual to Instrument, File Z.'
Rule #2 Hurry up Slowly.
Cynic: One who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
DBG28
Taxiing

Unread post by DBG28 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Hello Guys,

I am planning an IFR trip to and from Fisantekraal in the next two weeks, will the above information apply to FAFK asweel?

Kind Regards
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi Taxiing,
Sure, the same applies to FAFK.

Here's my experience after going into FASH last week and back to Joees today:
Inbound: Filed Z via GETEN with RMK VFR FROM GETEN
ATC cleared me via the GETEN 1 B arrival then 'drop off to FASH' and handed me over to Approach just before GETEN. Only problem was that the CT Approach radio doesn't reach to GETEN at FL100. Switched back to area and requested VFR.
Outbound: Filed Y FASH DCT FAFK with RMK IFR FROM FAFK. Called ATC on the phone prior to start, received a squawk and asked if ok to depart. After takeoff, ATC kept me circling near FAFK for 15 minutes. They were extremely busy and eventually cleared me VFR through the TMA. A bit disappointing!

Return trip was spent dodging massive Cb's around Kimberley...at least the FS is getting plenty of water!
Hop

Return to “Instrument Flying”