IFR Flight RT Sequence?

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Pegasus-Systems
Priming
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

IFR Flight RT Sequence?

Unread post by Pegasus-Systems » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Dear All , Hope great.
I have done most of my training in George and PE - circa 2006.
I am exposing myself to larger airports such as FACT to build up the confidence again.

Was hoping anyone can be of help with this question, it will be most helpful:
IE: I am on a IFR Flight fro CT to GG., parked at Safair.

I am ready to get going, do I:
1) Contact Cape Town Clearance Delivery - Identify myself, state flight plan. Clearance will provide my After Departure Instructions, be it a SID, QNH, Sqwauk Info, and so on. They will tell be to contact ground for start?

Before I do this we brief the clearance/departure?

2) Next would be to contact ground for start?
Will ground give me taxi instructions , or would they pass me onto Tower for that?

Thanks everyone, If you can help with above I will appreciate it with regard to what order these radio transmissions should be.
Thanks!
P
Firebomber
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: FASH

Re: IFR Flight RT Sequence?

Unread post by Firebomber » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi,

Start with copying down the Atis 127.0
Contact delivery within 30min of your ETD as only then will your flight plan be active.122.1
Advise them of of your reg, a/c type and where you are parked, request clearance to your destination and advise them of the flight level requested, advise them of the designator of the Atis info that you copied.
They will give you your departure clearance and squawk code. They tell you to contact ground when ready to start.
Once ready, contact ground for start clearance and thereafter taxi clearance.121.9
Once you are ready for departure advise ground that you are 'ready' and they will hand your over to tower. 118.1
Once airborne you will contact approach as per your clearance, normally passing 2000'.120.050

Hope that helps. Nothing to be intimidated by, really nice ATC in CT.
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi FB,
Got any idea how this IF departure might work flying out of Stellenbosch? Last time I tried that, I phoned CT ATC prior to departure, took off and was then left flying in circles at 2000' for 15 minutes before being given a VFR departure instead of the IF departure.
Not very nice ATC in Cape Town...
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
AOYB
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by AOYB » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:05 pm

You can't fly IFR out of a VFR airfield. File a flightplan VFR to a point and then transition to IFR in the flight plan. So it will always be a VFR departure. Which will obviously impact the weather options you have
I am the last Cylon...
Pegasus-Systems
Priming

Unread post by Pegasus-Systems » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Firebomber wrote:Hi,

Start with copying down the Atis 127.0
Contact delivery within 30min of your ETD as only then will your flight plan be active.122.1
Advise them of of your reg, a/c type and where you are parked, request clearance to your destination and advise them of the flight level requested, advise them of the designator of the Atis info that you copied.
They will give you your departure clearance and squawk code. They tell you to contact ground when ready to start.
Once ready, contact ground for start clearance and thereafter taxi clearance.121.9
Once you are ready for departure advise ground that you are 'ready' and they will hand your over to tower. 118.1
Once airborne you will contact approach as per your clearance, normally passing 2000'.120.050

Hope that helps. Nothing to be intimidated by, really nice ATC in CT.
Thanks very much for taking the time to help. This helps very much
Firebomber
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: FASH

Unread post by Firebomber » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi Hop, can't help you as I only fly out of CPT. Give the tower a call, I am sure they will gladly give you a full brief. The only time I have ever heard them get a bit short with GA traffic out of Stellies is when they had low visibility ops in play - It can be Cavok in Stellies and 300 mtrs RVR in fog at FACT.

I would say: If in doubt, give them a call, much better to clarify on the ground.
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi AOYB,
Ja, filed VFR to FAFK then IFR but no luck. However I often file IF directly from FAFB (Ficksburg) to FALA and the JHB controllers are most accommodating. Certainly seems like a Cape Town thing, sorry to say!
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by rare bird » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:17 am

best to phone the tower first. 0219371116
FACT ATC used to accommodate FASH, but got their fingers burnt, so stopped, but are generally still friendly if you call them first.
one cannot file IFR departure/arrival for an aerodrome that is not IFR /CAT/ have ILS, which leaves only George and Cape Town in the Western Cape, but VFR flying is ok there - just learn the airspaces beforehand.
MemyselfandI
Engine full power confirmed
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by MemyselfandI » Tue May 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Any restriction to receiving an IFR clearance would be due to traffic issues, NOT the ATC's attitude as alluded to by another poster. Airfields are airfields, you can get airborne as an IFR flight. The weather at the particular airfield is either IMC or VMC which determines if an IFR flight or a VFR flight can get airborne.(both if it's VMC) An IFR flight would have to be able to comply with any IFR restrictions such as MSA's etc until a clearance can be received for a higher level, especially if it was IMC. ATC only becomes concerned with an IFR flight if it wants to enter controlled airspace, a VFR flight too for that matter. The difference is in the type of service given to IFR or VFR and the requirements of the airspace classification being entered, A,B,C etc. It's not as simple as it seems chaps.

Return to “Instrument Flying”