Altimeter Setting Procedure Question

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Segg
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Altimeter Setting Procedure Question

Unread post by Segg » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:20 pm

heisan wrote:
Segg wrote:Considering it says this is a cross country flight, doesn't that also imply a distance greater than 8 miles (can't remember the actual figure off hand) Therefore the pilots intentions wouldn't be a local flight direct to FAWB, but to wonder out to some other location then turn towards FAWB?

Answer 2 seems right to me

What do question bank and Pilotexam say?
Makes no difference. Transition altitude within 25nm of FAWB is 8000' no matter where you are heading.
Yes, I'm alluding to the way the question itself is phrased :) I remember an instructor mentioning there is a defined difference between a local and cross country flight in terms of distance - this question if anything seems to be the CAA playing mind games, as no situation I can think of would one conduct a "local flight" and climb into the flight levels whilst doing it VFR
what goes around, comes around.
flybrd
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: KVRB
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by flybrd » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:41 am

Segg wrote:Considering it says this is a cross country flight, doesn't that also imply a distance greater than 8 miles (can't remember the actual figure off hand) Therefore the pilots intentions wouldn't be a local flight direct to FAWB, but to wonder out to some other location then turn towards FAWB?

Answer 2 seems right to me

What do question bank and Pilotexam say?
Questionbank and Pilotexam have different answers. As a matter of fact Pilotexam has same question in different sections (AWOPS and Met) with different answers. But all the answers are either when not in the vicinity or passing 25nm from FAWB.
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by apollo11 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:43 am

xcountry according the the SA CAA is 20NM
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry

Return to “Instrument Flying”