Garmin GTN 650 ILS approach requirement

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

moosp
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 25 times

Garmin GTN 650 ILS approach requirement

Unread post by moosp » Tue May 22, 2018 11:01 pm

I am in the process of putting together an avionics upgrade for a Cessna. The GTN 650 will be a good nav fit, but I have a question about what else I would need for a VOR/ILS approach.

When the GTN 650 has tuned the ILS, is there a second tuner in the unit that can tune the required VOR? Or will I need to get a second NAV/COM unit to provide the VOR?

The Garmin website does not provide the answer, and the collective knowledge of Avcom will be quicker than an email to Garmin.

Many thanks.
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Garmin GTN 650 ILS approach requirement

Unread post by Iceberg » Wed May 23, 2018 8:20 am

moosp wrote:I am in the process of putting together an avionics upgrade for a Cessna. The GTN 650 will be a good nav fit, but I have a question about what else I would need for a VOR/ILS approach.

When the GTN 650 has tuned the ILS, is there a second tuner in the unit that can tune the required VOR? Or will I need to get a second NAV/COM unit to provide the VOR?

The Garmin website does not provide the answer, and the collective knowledge of Avcom will be quicker than an email to Garmin.

Many thanks.
You can enter both frequencies. Use the VOR to do a rough intercept of the inbound course, then just flip the frequency (one touch on the 650/750) to the ILS and start tracking that. I transfer when the VOR course is one still one pip out.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
moosp
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by moosp » Wed May 23, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks for that procedure- makes sense.

Under a previous CAA that I worked under there was a requirement that to make a VOR/ILS approach in IMC both navaids had to be displayed. Not sure if SACAA is the same.

I'm trying to work out if it is worth fitting a second nav com or simply a second com. Saves money the second way.

But I can always make a Performance Based approach when I get the aircraft certified for it. I guess that is the future, and VORs may go the way of ADF's in a few years time.
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Wed May 23, 2018 10:28 am

moosp wrote:Thanks for that procedure- makes sense.

Under a previous CAA that I worked under there was a requirement that to make a VOR/ILS approach in IMC both navaids had to be displayed. Not sure if SACAA is the same.

I'm trying to work out if it is worth fitting a second nav com or simply a second com. Saves money the second way.

But I can always make a Performance Based approach when I get the aircraft certified for it. I guess that is the future, and VORs may go the way of ADF's in a few years time.
I can't find VOR/ILS approaches in SA. FALA, FACT and FAOR have either GNNS, VOR or ILS approaches, but none require VOR with the ILS as far as I can see. Using the VOR as an aid to intercept the localizer is useful - as I described. I have an older VOR/ILS instrument in the panel which I also use, but the GTN is much more accurate, consistent and reliable - so I rather use the flip flop from VOR to ILS.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
moosp
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by moosp » Wed May 23, 2018 11:29 am

I think I am being a dinosaur by imagining that VOR/ILS procedures still exist. There are a few ILS/DME procedures round the world but they are probably on the way out too.

GNNS and PBN is the way to go. I shall stick to one GTN650 for now.

Thanks for your input.

Return to “Instrument Flying”