Class 1 medical now required for an Instrument rating

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Iceberg
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 252 times

Re: Class 1 medical now required for an Instrument rating

Unread post by Iceberg » Mon May 30, 2022 3:33 pm

PO wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 3:06 pm
Iceberg wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:15 pm
I actually agree with having a class 1 for IF. I have a CPL so have to do it anyway, but nonetheless my AME actually offers to do a free stress ECG after the resting one which I always take. I am past 60, so that ups the medical risks....

I fly single pilot IFR fairly regularly - so I want to be extra sure that I won't leave my pax in a totally impossible situation due to a medical event.
My usual pax will have trouble getting my twin down safely in perfect VMC anyway, but in IMC - I don't even want to think about it.... 8-[ :shock:
Isn't the 'prediction capability' of a stress ECG quite limited / meaningless?
Ref e.g. https://cardiosound.com/stress-tests#:~ ... %20(3%2C4).
A screening test is a test we do when someone is having no symptoms. We do screening to find out who is at risk. Stress tests were not designed for screening to find someone at risk for heart attack, and are not recommended for that purpose (1).
A STRESS TEST CAN NEVER PREDICT WHO'S AT RISK FOR HEART ATTACKS.
Because most heart attacks (86%) occur in blockages that are not severely narrowed, most heart attack victims would pass their stress test the day before the heart attack (3,4).

Passing a stress test does not mean that your risk for heart attack is low. It only means you don't need a stent or bypass surgery (5).

Half of men and about 2/3 of women who die suddenly from heart disease had no previous symptoms (6)
Cardiology is specialized and complicated - I'm not a doctor, so I can't say.
From the little I know:

It is not only about heart attacks - arrhythmias will show up on an ECG - they can cause death.

Also QT prolongation, see: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... 0in%20life.
QT refers to points on the ECG graph - I knew someone that died as a result of this.

My AME mentioned a patient who's ECG was fine at rest but went haywire when stressed. He felt it was useful to do for someone of my age.
I have no problem with it - if it points out an issue early - why not?
These users liked the author Iceberg for the post:
PO
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger

Return to “Instrument Flying”