Reviving Volksplane VP1 - ZS-UYT

The Evans VP-1 Volksplane is an American designed aircraft for amateur construction designed by aeronautical engineer William Evans

Moderator: Moderators

Cedric Snr
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Reviving Volksplane VP1 - ZS-UYT

Unread post by Cedric Snr » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:56 am

Howzit Gents

I think every boy at some time or another dreams of becoming a pilot, and I am one of them :lol: but over the years some manage to hold on to their dreams and some (like me) move on to other dreams (or am forced into other directions due to circumstance).

a Few years ago a friend of mine dragged me along to a hobby shop to look a some gliders they had on special, needles to say I walked out with my first RC airplane and "die koel was deur die kerk" as the saying goes. :shock:

Over the last four years the garage became a hanger and with it the old dream of one day becoming a pilot became a burning desire, even more so when I stumbled upon Avcom and have since been hooked on it like some people are hooked on Facebook etc. I started reading about all these normal people with a passion for aviation holding down normal jobs who like me got side tracked in their lives but eventually found their way again to aviation. this inspired me and I started to think I CAN DO IT.

So at the ripe age of 47 (not the ripe OLD age mind you) I have decided to jump all in and bought an airplane and started with my NPL.

The purpose of this post will be to record the process of restoration of the Volksplane VP1 that I have bought and with the help and support of the Avcom community get the plane and myself in the air. and in times when I am down and thinking of submitting myself for psychiatric help for starting this hole thing to begin with I'm hopping that your support will carry me through, also I'm hopefully this will serve as a record for when it turns out I'm mad and my wife have me committed to the nut house so the doctors can see that Avcom was to blame for everything. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

That said, lets start by re-introducing Evens Volksplane VP1 ZS-UYT to you all. the following Link will take you back a few years (when Jean was still handsome) to when Jean Crouse and Kobus de Wet (RIP) rebuild BEASTY (hence forth ZS-UYT will be known as BEASTY, this was the name that Kobus gave his KR1 but I like the name so have decided to name the VP the same).

http://home.intekom.com/kobusdw/vp-1%20p1.htm

From what I've been able to find out so far about BEASTY 's history is that it was build by KD Rabeling and first registered in May 1990 owner JG de Wet (Johan), serial no KDR-1. BEASTY was sold to Kobus de Wet at some point and in March 2002 a new "ATF" was issued after Kobus and his good friend Jean restored it to its current condition at that time it had a VW type 1 1600 engine in it converted to 1800. (the engine has long since been removed) see attached link
With only the flight folio as a record a new logbook was opened at 62.5 Hours and subsequently a total of 5 hour were flown with it, in 2003 BEASTY reverted back to Johan de Wet after Kobus's passing and have been standing in Johan's hanger (Swakopmund Namibia) until now.

a Month or so ago I read a post about previously loved planes rotting away in hangers and noticed a post by Johan regarding the VP needing a good loving home and decided to make him a offer he couldn't refuse. and know in just 4 days time I'm going to Namibia
to collect my own airplane. =D> =P~ :D

Johan maybe you can give some more info here like when this project originally started and any other info I have missed or gotten wrong please.

Here are a few picture of BEASTY in its current condition
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cedric Strydom
cedric.strydom@live.co.za

ZS-UYT Volksplane VP1 (Project)
Jean Crous
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASX
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Reviving Volksplane VP1 - ZS-UYT

Unread post by Jean Crous » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:51 am

Nou toe nou Meneer, krismis is verby.........waar is die foties van daai VP projek ? :D :lol:
Jean.
Cubby Aircraft Factory
New front seat solo Cubby MK2
Powered by a Rotax 912 engine
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Johan Swakopmund
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:58 pm

Dis reg Jean - gee hom gas.

Ons het die VP gelaai op 19 Desember en toe het hulle bietjie vakansie gehou hier in Swakop.
Cedric het laat weet hulle is veilig by die huis met die VP in Jo burg op 24 Desember.
Seker nog so gatlam van die ry dat hy nie kon aflaai of so opgewonde dat hy nie kan terug raporteer

groete

Johan
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
Jean Crous
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Jean Crous » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:48 pm

:D Hi Johan, nee hy het my vanoggend laat weet hy is by die huis, en hy het sy enjin gekry. So die fotos sal seker nou begin. :mrgreen:
PS Pieter het my gebel vanoggend, hy sien my 10/11 Jan.
Jean.
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Powered by a Rotax 912 engine
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
happyskipper
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FQNC
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by happyskipper » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:36 pm

Well done guys - give it gas.
:D
Mark 8)
AKA "happyslipper", "slappykipper" ... etc.. :lol:
Cedric Snr
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Cedric Snr » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:56 am

Howzit Gents

Yes we are back home, and Yes I have some progress to report.

But first let me say this ... WHAT AN ATVENTURE ... both me and Yolande (Softness) have never been to Nam in fact Landi have never been outside of SA's borders and Boy oh Boy did we enjoy it. I must thank Johan here again for his generosity in offering us his home for as long as we wanted and in so doing made it posable for us to make a holiday out of this trip.

We jumped out of perfectly good airplanes, we climed the famous dune 7 and on the trip back we visited the Fishriver Canyon, while on the road to Swakop and back we camped at some beautyfull places sometimes in the dessert in 30 degree temps, but all in all it was an amazing unforgetable experiance.

That said I couldnt wait to get back home and start playing with my "new toy" :roll: as Landi calls it :lol:

But first I had to make space it the already overflowing "Hanger" (garage) to put Beasty in. (I will have to find a proper hanger soon :shock: ). ones that was done I slowely started intredusing myself to Beasty and letting him introduce minself to me by giving him a wash inside and out.

I always new I would get rid of the canopy so that was the first thing I did, this although asteticaly more pleasing to the eye was done in an effort to shed some waight.

The next step will be:

1. Contact Theuns, whom I've asked to help me a bit with the repairs and slight ulterations to the wood work around the cockpit area where I have removed the canopys sliding mecasisim.
2. Replace old instruments (Also an effort to reduce some waight) and re-design the new instrument pannel for the MGL Enigma, install instruments
3. Replace old spring steel landing gear with aluminium.
4. Replace old brake system with hydrolic system with a brake lever on the stick.
5. Check, Check and recheck ALL the control surfasis control mecanisims cables ETC.
6. Get Beasty to a Hanger and assemble the wings.
7. Get all the paperwork done, get all the inspections done.
8. Replace inspection covers and paint (again Theuns)

If all this is done then the airframe will be ready ... I think #-o [-o< :^o , there are probebly a hundred other small things I havent thought of now but this is what I have for now.

The next post will be about the Engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cedric Strydom

Rudix
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Rudix » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:29 pm

Fantastic Cedric! I hope we will be seeing her at the local fly-ins soon, always nice to see some classic planes and not just more of the same popular designs.

Enjoy!
Rudi
Johan Swakopmund
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:21 am

Dag Cedric

Sien jy het onmiddelik die sliders van die canopy afgehaal en die turle deck glas agter.
Met die moerse canopy van ou Kobus al klaar 10 kg gesny op gewig - Die ou girl verloor vinniger
gewig as meeste mense wat op "diet" gaan.

Cedric i removed the ring gear from that McCulloch engine and it is going to work 100 % with the starter
you brought me.
Still battling to get some work finished and then it is full-time KR2

Voorspoed vir 2017 en se groete vir Yolande

Johan

For avcommers info:
Cedric drove over 4000 km to come and fetch ZS-UYT from me at Swakopmund Namibia.
Now that is a brave man and a supporting wife-- as i have fetched two aircraft by trailer
One from Saldanha to Swakopmund an One from Welkom to Swakopmund.
I promised myself never again but my son is already up to something again and the next i hear is,
dad WE are going to fetch this or that in southern South Africa.
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
Cedric Snr
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Cedric Snr » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:33 pm

Howzit Gents

First of thanks Rudi, Johan for the support.

Ok so I said the next post will be about the engine so here goes .. As Jean said I picked up the Engine on the 28th, as it turned out the place where I was to pick up the engine was less than 5 km from my home =D> .. Thank you Jean for the good packing job you did. :D

let me also just add here that I have build about 6 Beetles in my lifetime and in fact am currently restoring a 68' Beetle (for Cedric Jnr) and am a BIG VW fan and my first car was a beetle, so I know a thing or two about these engines and something that intrigued me about this one was the fact that it had a oil filter on the block ?? I have never seen that before.. So I started to do some research (Google is your friend) and this is what I found out..

This is in fact what's called a Type 25 (T25) 1600 37kW 50Hp Special Design engine and came standard with the European Wanagon (Syncro) Bus in the 1980's to 82'. Special design meaning its a Type 4 Oil system on a Type 1 long Block with an added oil filter.

The engine was converted to 2150cc at some point in its live and the fuel injection and electronic ignition comes from a 2.1L Kombi with a Gotec fuel management system and currently should give me a conservative estimated 75hp. plenty more than what I need for the Beasty. :lol: :shock:

That said there is some work to do before I can marry the two, Jean supplied the engine with the Cubby engine mount that holds the starter and alternator BUT since the VP was designed for the engine to be bolded directly on the firewall I had to remove this setup. But that leaves me with a slight redesign problem, I have to remove the ring gear and pulley (for the alternator) and make another plan to get a pulley/ring gear redesigned to fit in the 30mm (this is the maximum distance I have to work with) gap between the firewall and the back of the engine.

The plan is to remove the starter altogether (hand start) and to install a very small alternator on the bottom of the engine (I have space there) and use the 30mm gap between the engine and firewall for the fan belt, from al of my measurements this looks like a pretty good plan but only time will tell if in fact I am as clever as I think I am :oops: :mrgreen:

Things still to do:

1. Have the ring gear and pulley machined, have some 25mm spacers made, refit the ring gear and pulley and hang the engine.
2. Replace all the fuel lines.
3. Run ALL the wiring from the engine to the instrument panel.
4. Tidy up the pipework and wiring.
5. Buy and fit a oil cooler.
6. Contract Theuns to build a new cowl.
7. Fit the prop adaptor and prop (I foresee this is going to be a problem but will tackle this when we get to that stage).

As stated before I don't know what I don't know and there are probably a hundred little things I cant think of now but this is my current plan.
Cedric Strydom

Theuns v V
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Rand
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by Theuns v V » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:26 pm

Nice, looks like a fun aerie . Keep it simple for the most fun factor :)
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 86 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:48 pm

Put the ring gear on the prop flange like in a MotorFalke with the starter next to the distributor
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Jean Crous
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Jean Crous » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:04 pm

I agree with Ugly Duckling........he has a beaut of a plan there :lol:
Jean.
Cubby Aircraft Factory