Evans Volksplane VP1

The Evans VP-1 Volksplane is an American designed aircraft for amateur construction designed by aeronautical engineer William Evans

Moderator: Moderators

Jean Crous
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASX

Re: Evans Volksplane VP1

Unread post by Jean Crous » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Eddie, I personally would have kept the Mounting-ring, it is sturdier and better for the engine case. It helps to dissipate torque loads.
Jean.
Cubby Aircraft Factory
New front seat solo Cubby MK2
Powered by a Rotax 912 engine
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
bosvark
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Rhinopark

Unread post by bosvark » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Jean Crous wrote:Eddie, I personally would have kept the Mounting-ring, it is sturdier and better for the engine case. It helps to dissipate torque loads.
Jean.
That's what I was thinking but wondered about the weight. But that is probably negligible?
Evans VP 1 ZU - VPI (Work in progress)
Jean Crous
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASX

Unread post by Jean Crous » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Yes , not much more than 1--2litres of fuel. :lol: :wink:
Cubby Aircraft Factory
New front seat solo Cubby MK2
Powered by a Rotax 912 engine
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
bosvark
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by bosvark » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:10 am

Jean Crous wrote:Yes , not much more than 1--2litres of fuel. :lol: :wink:
With my fat arse I need all the fuel I can get into the tank :oops: :oops:
bosvark
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by bosvark » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:45 am

The flywheel needs to be removed. In the original convertion of the engine, the flywheel hub is cut out and the rest discarded as the 'plane is prop started. I want to fit a starter so need to remove the weight of the flywheel but still retain the ring gear. Imposible to find an auto flex plate so I came up with this:

VW flywheel cut to pieces. Ring gear cut off and hub cut out. The original weighed about 10 pounds. The idea is to make the web out of 7075 as per the drawing. The thinnest I could get was 10mm. Hope it won't be too heavy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bosvark
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by bosvark » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:33 pm

The power plant to be. VW type 1 2.1l conversion. Will have to get my butt into gear with the mould for the engine cowl (and the cowl)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bosvark
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by bosvark » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:30 pm

Fitted the wings yesterday with the real struts and made the jury struts which must made up with the wings fitted. I planned to make the plug for the engine cowl mould today if the weather was good as I have to work outside due to space constraints.

So with the rainy weather...... :( .... but my lack of patience got the better of me and I got both. The rain and an engine cowl plug :mrgreen: Took me an hour to get the garage clean though #-o #-o Still a lot of work to get the final plug out of that ball of foam.Nobody told me I will need sculpting skills when I started with this :? Looks like the VP nosedived into a block of dough :shock:
bosvark
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by bosvark » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 pm

A bit of sanding, two glasses of a nice red, a few hours and a moerse mess later, it looks like there is actually an engine cowl stuck away somewhere in that block of foam 8) .....Still a lot of work ahead though 8-[ 8-[
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSX

Unread post by heinrich » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:06 am

Dit lyk gaaf. =D>
“If you are looking for perfect safety, you will do well to sit on a fence and watch the birds; but if you really wish to learn, you must mount a machine and become acquainted with its tricks by actual trial.”

Wilbur Wright
shirewood
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Wellesbourne

Unread post by shirewood » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi, hoping for a bit of advice. I have just re-assembled an evans vp1 that I bought last year, it supposedly had a zero timed 1800 vw engine, but after firing it up for the second time both of the cylinder heads have cracked around the bolts and seem to be beyond repair, perhaps over tightened, any idea where to start looking for replacements??? It is duel ignition running off two lucas SR4 mags if that makes any difference, Cheers.
Last edited by shirewood on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bosvark
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by bosvark » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:02 pm

shirewood wrote:Hi, hoping for a bit of advice. I have just re-assembled an evans vp1 that I bought last year, it supposedly had a zero timed 1800 vw engine, but after firing it up for the second time both of the cylinder heads have cracked around the bolts and seem to be beyond repair, perhaps over tightened, any idea where to start looking for replacements??? It is duel ignition running off two lucas SR4 mags if that makes any difference, Cheers.

Good evening shirewood. I've got no idea where you will get that in Britain.
winona
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: fAKR

Unread post by winona » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 am

Duel ignition with one sparkplug looking at the pictures?
spend your time living!
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSX

Unread post by heinrich » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:57 am

shirewood wrote:Hi, hoping for a bit of advice. I have just re-assembled an evans vp1 that I bought last year, it supposedly had a zero timed 1800 vw engine, but after firing it up for the second time both of the cylinder heads have cracked around the bolts and seem to be beyond repair, perhaps over tightened, any idea where to start looking for replacements??? It is duel ignition running off two lucas SR4 mags if that makes any difference, Cheers.
Maybe try the VW Yahoo group?
“If you are looking for perfect safety, you will do well to sit on a fence and watch the birds; but if you really wish to learn, you must mount a machine and become acquainted with its tricks by actual trial.”

Wilbur Wright
bosvark
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by bosvark » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:17 pm

winona wrote:Duel ignition with one sparkplug looking at the pictures?
The pictures are of my engine, the post you refer to is an enquiry by someone else - shirewood
shirewood
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Wellesbourne

Unread post by shirewood » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks for the replies, I have found some with single ignition and will hopefully get the second holes machined, cheers.

Return to “Evans Volksplane”